How much of a pay cut would you take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's definitely worth it.
    I took a slight pay cut when i moved here to Houston. Still working for the same company, but i was hourly working in the shop and some in the field. Upon moving here I received a company truck with all maintenance and fuel paid, upgraded my 401K to higher percentage with company match, have weekends off with paid holidays and 15 days vacation per year. Granted, i took about a 20% cut in pay, but the truck and extra vacation days more than makes up for it. Plus i get to spend every weekend at home with my wife and 2 year old son. Hes only little once and i plan to be there for it.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
      I just got off call got a big raise weekend and holidays off and a take home car. Went from a stressful gig to a non stress gig.
      tell me your secrets

Comment

So coming from your same place less than a year ago I can say there was some adjustments I had to make such as being more budget minded and learning to relax. I can say that working 730-430 every day and being DONE with work for the day when I leave is great. No wondering if I'm gonna get a call and have to jump on a plane and be gone for 1-2 weeks, missing kids activities or calls/emails at all hours of the day.

If you can afford I'd highly recommend it. I had the benefits at the other job but now after some adjusting I can say my stress level is much lower and it's nice not having to tell the family on short notice I'm headed out of town.

Comment

I work m-f 8-5, sat 8:30-12. We get thanksgiving and christmas day off. Rest of holidays we usually work til noon, but have worked all day. I get salary plus commision. My last job id been there 7yrs, had 25 days pto, off on holidays, great benefits, started at $9/hr and in 7yrs was up to $11/hr. And watched younger guys come in and move up(im ONLY 43 now[emoji106][emoji23]). After i took off the saturday, i was told not to take off anymore unless it was an emergency. Up until this job, i always made every game or recital that my kids were in. Ive missed countless games in the yr and a half ive been here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I took a 10% pay cut when I got out of coaching (stipend plus extra days). Did it to spend more time with my own kids and family. I do not miss it at all. It was worth it to me. You have to make that decision yourself, if it is worth it to you. 2 more years and I can retire. Like someone said, on my death bed I will not be saying I wish I would have worked longer hours and missed more time with my wife and kids.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
              That was my thought reading the post. I kept waiting for a "BUT you take home $100-$150k."

If you're fresh out of college and getting valuable experience, or have no real skill set and in a poor area, maybe you just have to deal with it. I wouldn't personally.

There are a lot of companies that are still hanging on to the "bad 2010 economy" deal where they will tell you you're lucky to have a job that pays more than minimum wage. Times aren't bad any more, find something better.
              Not fresh out of college. 51 years old and retired military

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                I took a $25k pay cut I'm much happier which has made a huge difference with the wife. Im gone a lot with this job and now it's fine but whenever we have kids no sure how being gone 3weeks a month will work out.

Money comes and goes, I'd rather be happy than rich. I haven't quite figured out how to put the 2 together yet!
                It's not as bad as many here make it out to be being gone. I'm usually gone 3 weeks at a time with a 3yr and 1yr old. Make it home every chance I get but setting us up for much better things in the future is worth it to me and my wife.

Comment

I know it comes with the job, but when i leave work, im not thinking about it. But boss calls and ask about a customer, and it may be 8-8:30 at night and wants me to call and try to make the sale. Not really keen on that...but for now it pays the bills. If i could find something else where i work m-f, with benefits and anywhere close to my income now, id be in.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                    It's not as bad as many here make it out to be being gone. I'm usually gone 3 weeks at a time with a 3yr and 1yr old. Make it home every chance I get but setting us up for much better things in the future is worth it to me and my wife.

Yep. Home time is awesome. Knowing I can support then financially as far as now and in the future is more important to me than my benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      That’s true, grew up with my dad in the Navy w/6-9mo deployments and I never minded... we just knew that was his job.

I think if I can keep the pace I’m at so my wife would be able to stay home whenever we are blessed enough to have a family then being gone wouldn’t be bad to me. From what friends tell me I’d need another raise to afford childcare!

Comment

If you were on your death bed and someone asked if you had a happy life working or spending time with kids and family how would you answer it?

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          That’s true, grew up with my dad in the Navy w/6-9mo deployments and I never minded... we just knew that was his job.

I think if I can keep the pace I’m at so my wife would be able to stay home whenever we are blessed enough to have a family then being gone wouldn’t be bad to me. From what friends tell me I’d need another raise to afford childcare!
                          Yep mine stays home

Comment

Originally posted by Guns_up View Post
                            If you were on your death bed and someone asked if you had a happy life working or spending time with kids and family how would you answer it?
                            If I was on my death bed and someone wasn't just talking about enjoying good times we had I'd tell them to get the hell out of the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Guns_up View Post

As long as my kids futures were taken care of. [emoji1417]

Comment

I'd take less pay to be more comfortable. My wife and I live pretty simply and are happy with it. We don't want to have to commute 30 minutes to work and deal with stressful schedules for a little more money.

For us, money can't make up for time spent together and just being relaxed in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X