Learned a lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned a lesson

I got my Ltc a few months ago & have been carrying ever since. I carry a Taurus PT609Pro that my wife bought for my first pistol in 2011. It comfortable to carry & shoots really well. The other day I got home from work & was about to shoot my bow, I was moving some 4x8 sheets of foam insulation to behind my back cause they was laying in the ground. As I picked one a huge field rat ran out from underneath it, I unholstered my pistol to shoot the thing. The problem was in the heat of the moment I didn’t take the safety off!!! I thought man if somehow as to happen & I needed my pistol I’d be dead cause I wouldn’t remember to take the safety off. So lessoned learned, gun is in the safe & carrying my Canik Elite now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lesson you missed is that you need to actually shoot your carry gun, not just carry it, whether it has a safety or not. I am not trying to be a ****, just relaying truth

Comment

A lesson I learned: I used to have a striker fired pistol that also had a safety, why I don’t know, but I carried it safety off. Somehow the safety made its way to “on” and I discovered it when I went to pop a snake. That one didn’t last out the week. No safety on a striker fired pistol for me !

Comment

A lot of people dislike glocks for not having a safety, as long as you keep your booger hook off the trigger all is good.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
          A lot of people dislike glocks for not having a safety, as long as you keep your booger hook off the trigger all is good.
          Ditto. One of my main reasons for having one.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
            Glocks have several safeties, just not a silly little switch doohickey.

Glad you learned the lesson on a rat instead of someone trying to hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              The lesson you missed is that you need to actually shoot your carry gun, not just carry it, whether it has a safety or not. I am not trying to be a ****, just relaying truth
              X2 any pistol you plan to carry

Comment

Glad you learned before it was a serious event.

That's one of the reasons why I always compete in a couple IDPA matches with my carry gun before I trust myself to rely on carrying it. Plus, it's a helluva lot of fun!

Comment

Training is the most important piece of carrying a firearm for personal protection. Glad you found the problem and fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t have a Ltc but I have a 9mm in my console of my truck. One in the chamber and on safety. I have it positioned so if I ever do need it I can grab it with my thumb on the safety and in the process of drawing taking it off in that split second. My question is those of y’all that do carry with glocks or with a trigger safety do y’all keep one chambered?

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                      X2 any pistol you plan to carry
                      when I practice, its usually drawing, aiming, firing, ... half is learning to draw cleanly. Anything I can do to create real-life scenarios. Because you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                        I don’t have a Ltc but I have a 9mm in my console of my truck. One in the chamber and on safety. I have it positioned so if I ever do need it I can grab it with my thumb on the safety and in the process of drawing taking it off in that split second. My question is those of y’all that do carry with glocks or with a trigger safety do y’all keep one chambered?

Yes . Carrying any empty chamber is a bad idea .

Comment

Takes two hands to chamber a round and it takes a lot longer to chamber a round than to click a safety off...

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                            Takes two hands to chamber a round and it takes a lot longer to chamber a round than to click a safety off...
                            That was always my thoughts as well. But I’ve had some people that don’t like that idea. Don’t bother me if someone feels in danger being in my truck they can get out as easily as they got in!

Comment

That was always my thoughts as well. But I’ve had some people that don’t like that idea. Don’t bother me if someone feels in danger being in my truck they can get out as easily as they got in!

If that's the case, they shouldn't stand near me lol

Comment

Working...
                              X