Bow Stand Question for South TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Stand Question for South TX

Spent the last couple weekends clearing and assembling this setup. Anyone have a suggestion on a good South Texas bow blind setup, that you won't melt in? Can you just throw a popup next to it? None of the guys on the lease bow hunt and this is my first mega pen build.

If you want to be comfortable in a south Texas blind you should build a very strong 6'x6' blind and bury it with at least 3' of soil on top...add a periscope & sump pump and you're all set...kinda hard to shoot from but you'll be comfy.

Comment

I never would have believed it my buddies on the Killam do it and I have killed out of them as well as they took 2 booners.

They build a 4x6 box blind on 3 foot high legs and place it long ways right outside the pen based on prevailing winds. Only windows on the narrow end facing pen are open. Sit way in back corner. Height enables you to shoot over the panels. Leave those front windows open all thru deer season.

Comment

^ this
        Or dig a hole inside the pen, make a blind and cover with brush pile. Shoot up at deer.

Comment

Put a Krivo Blind by the pen and by fall the deer won't pay any attention to it.
          No matter what you do plan on doing some sweating early season.

Comment

awesome setup!

Comment

I appreciate the input, it's setup with the blind being in the SW to offset SE or N wind, I feel like I usually deal with a SE wind in early bow season. Does the pit blind provide any temp barrier? Can't help but feel like it would be an oven to be in the ground.

Comment

Put a 4X6 on an 8' base, door in the floor, 14" x 22" window in the front, flat black paint the inside, carpet floor, bow hanger from ceiling, closeable vent in roof ( to exhaust hot air prior to hunt ), battery operated fan from Wally World ( about $12 - $15 ). Set up about 30 yards from feeder.
                Repeat above steps 180 deg. across for opposite wind direction.

Comment

You could get a pop up blind, they are the least revealing and easiest to situate based on the wind. You could even put two blinds around this pen so you can hunt it regardless of the wind. I wouldn't recommend shooting in your feeder pen. Scout the trails and hunt the outskirts of it on 2 different sides. I have hunted in south Texas quite a bit and a lot of the older mature bucks I see will not go into the pens except at night. They do however investigate feeder pen areas especially during the rut.

Comment

Good info!

Comment

@hollywood thank you for that detail

@bermise I like that idea, most of the older members are adamant that the mature bucks in the rut will be around the eons but are the lease likely to get in the pen at that time of year. I will let you guys know where I go with this, exciting stuff.

Comment

We use turtle blinds don't have an issue with 32 inch panels

Comment

definitely something on a 4 foot minimum platform to shoot above the panels. Maybe a Krivo

Comment

If you're going to put in the fan, why not go all the way? I'm going to build one this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by scdavis50 View Post
                              If you're going to put in the fan, why not go all the way? I'm going to build one this weekend.

I thought about this, possibly carry the blue cool packs in & out on walks in, refreeze & use again.

Comment

Working...
                              X