A couple for you waterfowl hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple for you waterfowl hunters

Found a big pile of geese, cranes, and ducks on the way to the ranch a few weeks back. I spotted Canada, Ross, one snow, mallards, pintails, and sandhill cranes. There weren't that many birds in this group but one day I bet there were 30,000 geese in one field just before getting to Post on top of the caprock. I'll see if I can find the pics but I had the wrong lens on my camera and you just can't get the magnitude of the number of birds that were there. I've never seen that many in one spot in my life.
    Attached Files

Awesome pics

Comment

Like I said, I had the wrong lens on my camera when all of these guys took off. Imagine this amount of birds for over a mile long. It was deafening when they took off.
      Attached Files

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Nice thanks for sharing

Comment

Besides the mule deer, my favorite thing when I lived on the South Plains was the waterfowl. Great shots!

Comment

Awesome. Miss those days.

Comment

Those are awesome

Comment

Nice

Comment

When I was a kid (in the 60's) I remember routinely seeing concentrations of geese like that that stretched for a couple of miles. Must have been in the 100's of thousands or million. This was along the Texas coast marshland and rice fields near the Louisiana border. Since then U S has created areas along their flight path to here that they can stop at and spend the winter. I haven't seen those numbers in decades.

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of birds.

Comment

Originally posted by dauphlp View Post
                        When I was a kid (in the 60's) I remember routinely seeing concentrations of geese like that that stretched for a couple of miles. Must have been in the 100's of thousands or million. This was along the Texas coast marshland and rice fields near the Louisiana border. Since then U S has created areas along their flight path to here that they can stop at and spend the winter. I haven't seen those numbers in decades.
                        In the 50's I remember my dad and uncle hunting geese to put food on the table. They would come back with the truck bed level with geese. My mother came up with a way to clean them easier than plucking. The refineries around here discarded the wax they removed from the crude. She would melt a big pot of wax, dip the goose in it and let it dry then peal off the feathers like a coat.

Comment

Awesome pictures

Comment

I spy some really good looking Specks scattered in the top pic and a good looking Eaglehead Blue. Miss hunting up there, keep those coming.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                              Found a big pile of geese, cranes, and ducks on the way to the ranch a few weeks back. I spotted Canada, Ross, one snow, mallards, pintails, and sandhill cranes. There weren't that many birds in this group but one day I bet there were 30,000 geese in one field just before getting to Post on top of the caprock. I'll see if I can find the pics but I had the wrong lens on my camera and you just can't get the magnitude of the number of birds that were there. I've never seen that many in one spot in my life.
                              Whats up with the second pic? Geese don't trail feet like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X