Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which units (elk hunting) should I begin drawing tags for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which units (elk hunting) should I begin drawing tags for?

I have been told by numerous hunters that I should begin attempting to draw an elk tag in various units in Colorado and Arizona, as it can take 15 years to have success.
    What units do you guys recommend in these states? Would you recommend I draw in other states as well? I appreciate it!

following

Comment

It would be worth it for you to subscribe to gohunt.com and/or huntinfool.com I imagine.

Comment

Colorado you don't have a chance in certain units until you have the points. They draw those with the highest points first, so if a unit has more hunters than tags with more points than you that apply in a certain unit, you have zero chance at the tag.

Comment

I doubt many if anybody will tell you specific units. But I will tell you it depends on the state weather applying/ buying points for many years will help. For example Colorado and Wyoming you need the most points for the unit to draw. If you don't have more points you won't draw. Others like New Mexico it doesn't matter how many years you apply. You still have the same chance as everybody else.

Comment

CO and WY are tough. They're long waits if you want to go after big bulls.

AZ, NM, KY, and UT are musts.

I also apply for NV, but wouldn't recommend it unless you are already applying for all of the above..

Comment

Many units in CO have OTC elk tags, but they aren't in the "trophy" units. However, I've seen some photos of some big bull elk in units where you can get an OTC tag. I work with a guy, whose son killed a nice 6x6 with an OTC elk tag.

Comment

Ok thanks fellas that was helpful. ��

Comment

Archery units in Colorado with limited entry for instance, 10,76, 61,201 are some of the most coveted but will take 15 yrs or more to draw as nonresident. Better get started acquiring points. I'll be too old to hunt by the time I can draw. Doesn't matter if you give unit numbers as most will never draw any of these if they start applying after age 30 anyway. Point creep gets worse every year.
                  Last edited by scoutman; 10-07-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X