My NOSE-JAMMER Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My NOSE-JAMMER Review

I've been busted quite a few times over the last two years at our lease, to the point I get frustrated bow hunting knowing I won't be seeing anything. I go to great lengths to try reducing scent as much as possible so as not to get busted. My scent routine is as follows: wash clothes with scent free soap, using scent free dryer sheets, clothes go straight into a scent blocker plastic bag inside of a tink's carbon sack. I don't put my hunting clothes on until I get out of my vehicle to avoid any unwanted contaminants. I then spray down with the scientific scent killer spray and proceed to my stand. This year was the first year I have been able to hunt the wind a little better, but have still gotten busted several times. Again, frustration began to set in and I was about to purchase an Ozonics unit, but there really aren't any trees I can hang an ozonics unit on in the south Texas scrub brush and I really didn't want to spend $400.

I had seen nose-jammer advertised in the cabelas catalog, but like most other sprays I just figured it was a gimmick and passed it up. About a week ago there was a review on here talking about how good nose-jammer was. Well, being the sucker I am I figured for $20 I would give it a shot.

Now for the HUNT:
    My hunt this weekend started out on Saturday instead of Friday like I had planned. Following the directions on the nose-jammer bottle I sprayed my boots a little before walking to my stand (and as a "real" test I used jeans I had worn the day before). I threw some hand corn in a shooting lane, put down a little buck candy and proceeded to my tripod. When I sat down in stand I realized the wind was all wrong, it was blowing my scent straight towards my feeder and shooting lanes. I figured what the heck, this will be a GREAT test for nose-jammer and began to spray the area as per the directions. Well, the sun began to rise and I hear a stampede in the brush. It was the hogs! They began munching on corn at the feeder, but really didn't offer any shots. Then as soon as they appeared a couple of sows gave the warning grunts ad they were gone just as fast as they had arrived. I was sorta bummed, as I had once again gotten busted, but rightfully so as the wind direction was pretty bad for this setup. I kept telling myself I wasn't really there for hogs anyway and tried to keep my spirits high. At 7:15 I already wanted to get off of the stand because I knew if any deer came in I would get busted just the same!! Well, thankfully I stuck it out. As luck would have it, not 5 minutes later, two does stepped out accompanied by their two fawns. They seemed nervous, always throwing their heads up and looking around, but NOT ONCE did they sound any alarms!! I was pumped!! Unfortunately at our lease doe are not on the hit list so I just sat and watched the beautiful creatures in front of me. This alone would have been good enough for me, but it got better. After a few minutes another doe showed up followed by another! All in all 6 does showed up and I was really enjoying my view. Then two young deer walked in straight down wind at the feeder, these looked different and upon further examination one was a nubbin' buck and the other was a spike!! Spikes are on the hit list and being as I have never shot a deer with my bow in 10 years of hunting my heart felt like it was going to pop outta my chest!!! I calmed myself down a bit trying to tell myself "it's just a spike" and began to study his every move waiting for a shot opp. Again, these guys seemed a little nervous, but they never once busted me or ran off. There were now 8 deer all around me that had come from 3 or 4 different directions and none had busted me!! I was PUMPED! Well, the doe began filtering out and the young bucks bullied one of the young does away from the buck candy and she moseyed on. As they began to feed the nubbin buck walked out of my shooting lane, leaving the spike all alone. He presented a great shot, slightly quartering away at 10 yards. As he was looking away, completely relaxed I began to draw my bow. Unfortunately for me I was wearing a leafy suit and as I drew my bow, made all kinds of noise with the leaves rubbing against one another (lesson learned there!) and he quickly scooted off with his buddy behind. They both came back for a quick munch, but left quick with no shot ops.
    Saturday evening saw a repeat of the morning hunt, but only does showed up.
    On to Sunday morning. Before the sun came up the hogs showed up, this time from a different direction, and quickly began to feed. The wind was once again blowing straight to the feeder and the larger sows began to sound the warning alarm but most continued to feed un-alarmed. I watched the pigs feed in my shooting lane and decided to turn the red light on. All of the pigs scattered!! Not 30 seconds later they came back, I made a solid shot at 10 yrds and at I had a pig on the ground! Well, I figured I would wait to see if any deer would show up now that the pigs were gone. The nubbin buck eventually came in and I was waiting for his buddy Mr. Spike. As luck would have it the nubbin' buck went straight to the arrow, sniffed it a few times, didn't like what he smelled and decided to move on.

First off I want to say SORRY FOR THE LONG READ, but if you've stuck with me this whole time I would like to say thanks. Second off, I have learned a few things from my hunt this past weekend, the most valuable of which is I will never do another bow hunt without NOSE-JAMMER!! Will it work for everyone in every situation? Probably not, this was only 3 hunts over one weekend, there surely be more to come though. As soon as I post this I'm ordering two bottles as I don't want to be without it from here on out. Who knew something that smells like my grandmas perfume would work so well!!! I'm a believer and SOLD!!

I won a can in a raffle and plan on trying it out this weekend. Thanks for he review.

Comment

I have been using this stuff all fall. It really does appear to jam their sense of smell, but some deer freak out when they hit the stream. Same reaction we may have if you open your eyes one morning and can not see.
      In Illinois last week we had a mature doe get downwind and she starting stomping and blowing. We watched her run 60 yards, settle down, and take a power line cut into the food plot at the other end. 30 minutes later I killed her with my recurve at 25 yards.
      Sent some to a friend in SD and he had a 155 whitetail get his wind and turn around and leave. He killed him 45 minutes later when the buck came in for the opposite side of his tree. Definintly has merit and word will spread.
      Brooks Johnson

Comment

Thanks for the review I think I might try this product. I use the the Acorn scent OR Cedar Scent from Scent killer and rarely get busted, except for hogs. There is truly no way to beat a hogs nose. Or at least I haven't found one. Maybe this product will work for me also.

Comment

Nice write up, I do the same thing with the buck bomb (doe "p")

Comment

great review. I also bought some to use while hunting public land. I did not spray on bottom of boots becuase i was not sure how powerful it was. I did spray base of tree. Smell is nice and strong. The afternoon hunt had me sweating pretty bad. I took my ugly orange hat off and put a small burst on downwind side of hat and it seemed to fix probablem at least for me anyway.

I also believe this product will work if the deer get justa tadbit used to it.

Keep us updated and good luck on your quest for the almighty elusive deer.

manwitaplan

Comment

ok..just ordered some...probably wont be here by my S.Tx hunt this weekend..but we'll try it in the E.Tx lease...

Comment

why dont you just wash clothes in scent free soap (i use tide), hang outside to dry, then pack em in your bag. bath in scent free soap, wear rubber boots, maybe some regular doe pee, and above all.....hunt the wind. dont hunt a particular stand if the wind isnt right....thas how the old guys killed deer, huntin the wind....i know it works cause my freezers full.

Comment

Thanks for the review. Ive been wanting to try it also. Maybe Ill buy some and try it soon.

Comment

got mine after reading a thread on AT. if you enter 'arrow' in the promo code at check out freight is free-

Comment

Originally posted by CRTR_GTR View Post
                      why dont you just wash clothes in scent free soap (i use tide), hang outside to dry, then pack em in your bag. bath in scent free soap, wear rubber boots, maybe some regular doe pee, and above all.....hunt the wind. dont hunt a particular stand if the wind isnt right....thas how the old guys killed deer, huntin the wind....i know it works cause my freezers full.
                      I do all that stuff, and of course I try my best to hunt the wind!! It always seems tough for me though to truly hunt the wind as deer tend to come in from several different directions around me- upwind,downwind, crosswind etc. It seems if I please some, I always have some coming in that bust me and scare everyone else off. Nose-Jammer may not work for everyone or be the end all be all scent product, but it works for me!!!

Comment

sometimes the wind changes.
                        A little extra help doesn't hurt.

Comment

A week or so ago, I read a thread here where some guy tried it with great results. I bought two cans and will try them out this weekend. I shower prior to each and every hunt and wear clean clothes. I hope this stuff works or maybe I am just another fool falling for modern marketing techniques.

Comment

Who would have ever thunk it.....stuff that blocks deer noses. What will they think of next. Ill be looking at this stuff seriously after a year or two and see if its still around. Time always tells. GOOD REVIEW!!

Comment

I figured I could read 100 stories of how it worked or didn't work, or I could give it a try and find out for myself. Boy am I glad I did!!

Comment

Working...
                              X