Leases Near Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leases Near Houston

I know what everyone is going to say. It's like the mythical unicorn, it just doesn't exist.

Well I still believe it does. So I'm looking for a lease that isn't more than an hour or so outside of Houston. Does anyone know of one? I'm not a huge hunter, honestly I've not really hunted in about 15 years, excluding some bird hunting over that same time frame.

I'm looking for something that is close to Houston that I can bring my 12 year old daughter to and we can enjoy some time. I don't need huge deer, really if I could tell the perfect lease.

It would have some deer, regardless of size, with hogs and the possibility of squirrels on it.

If anyone knows of one or has one, please let me know as I am very eager to find something.

Thanks for the help.

I'm sure there are some close by but you'll pay handsomely for it.

Comment

I actually have a friend that has one not too far from Houston and he doesn't pay very much at all. But there have been the same 10 guys on the lease for the past 11 years.

Price is really relative as I'm not up for driving 3 to 6 hours for a lease. So the price might not be as high as you think if I could be there in an hour, less time to get there and lease gas. Not to mention I might be there more if it was close.

Comment

Being able to get there more often is key.

3 trips/year to a $1500 lease is still $500/trip.

15 trips/year to a $4500 lease is only $300/trip.

Yea, for the right money, you can probably find one. But it won't be easy.

I'm out here in Columbus, and despite having enough deer that they are in people's yards in town, you have to be a 5th generation Colorado County native to have a place to hunt it seems. It's pretty crazy. Esp. the Northern part of the county. You'd think that was the West slope of the rockies the way they talk about it. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post

I'm out here in Columbus, and despite having enough deer that they are in people's yards in town, you have to be a 5th generation Colorado County native to have a place to hunt it seems. It's pretty crazy. Esp. the Northern part of the county. You'd think that was the West slope of the rockies the way they talk about it. LOL.
          Me and sneaky freak on here hit the lottery with our 600 acre lease in northern Colorado county he picked up last year. Just goes to show there are places out there. You just have to look and call and look and look and call and look some more.

Comment

Yea, I'd say you did. Is it as good as the West slope of the Rockies like they say it is?

I'm exaggerating, of course, but at times it does feel that way when you venture up around Frelsburg way.

Be curious what you're paying/ac. there.

Comment

So Limbwalker do you know of anything. Columbus is how far from Houston?

Comment

If I did, I'd be on it! As many folks as I know after living in Columbus for 6 years, and I still don't hear the words "deer lease" being uttered 'round here very often.

Lots of family land in this area, and big, big families that use it all. That's one reason you don't see many leases in this area.

Columbus is an hour or so from Houston (depends on which side, and traffic of course). Plenty of deer 'round here but again, you gotta be blood or darn near to get on a piece of property in this area.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info, no one else has any information?

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post

I know what you mean we have a small area (about 30-40 acres) right off of a highway but man does it produce some great deer. Lands been in the family for years.

Comment

Texasforever

You don't know of one?

Thought I would ask

Comment

Thought I would try and jeep it alive

Comment

Best of luck and I hope you get to do some hunting with your daughter. I treasure the times I got to go with mine (grown and busy now).

I don't know of a thing, I would give you a word of caution. If you get on a bad lease...and there are a lot of them in the piney woods....it will be way over crowded and not many animals (my experience and family timber leases). Your daughter might get bored and decide she doesn't like hunting. I bit the bullet and paid a little more and drove farther...so that they could see a lot of animals and get shots. Once again, best of luck.

Comment

Just wanted to post up again

Comment

How about Centerville...or anywhere in Leon County. I've got an ad in the Centerville newspaper...no leads yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X