No announcement yet.

40 pound bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As my shoulders get older (I refuse to admit the rest of me is) I've been moving to lighter 41#-46# bows for general practice/targets to reduce wear and tear. Still prefer 50-55# for hunting, though. I've never taken large game with a bow under 50# but much like using a .22 cal. vs. a .300 cal. rifle for deer (which I have done) the lighter bow weights would likely have drawbacks with regard to on-average killing success/outcome for regular big game hunting. Yes I know many large critters are taken with light bows each year, but the extra advantages of more weight (which applies to both bows and arrows) is always good insurance with hits that might not be perfect...and let's be honest, perfect shots are not the norm under hunting situations where game moves and shooting conditions (excitement, weather, etc.) aren't target-line predictable. And the more you hunt the more you roll the dice.

I suppose if shooters are disciplined enough to keep shots 'stickbow close' (under 20 yards...which doesn't seem to be the norm based on chat site hunting stories) that would mitigate the poundage problem a fair amount, but all-in-all the target bow weights still seem on the edge when it comes to hunting bigger critters. In the hands of an expert and very disciplined individual I suspect they'd work pretty well. The question is...are you good enough/disciplined enough to know the characteristics and limitations of your shooting skills, quarry and weapon? Only you can decide that.

Light bows are definately soft-couch comfy to shoot, though.

Comment

Working...
    X