Hog hunting rookie - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog hunting rookie - questions

Alright. New to the bow hunting scene and therefore new to taking a hog by bow. With that said, I have a few questions for the veterans. Your input is appreciated:

I am invited to go take some hogs in north Texas on a smaller, high-fenced tract of land. The place is only bowhunted and sometimes they run some exotics on the place, too. In the past, I've hunted high-fenced land, but it's been 3000+ acres. Anyway, in your opinion...

1. Is 75-150 acres of high-fenced land too small of an area to cover for hunting hogs with a bow?
    2. If not, is this considered a fair chase or more like shooting fish in a barrel?
    3. Do you think it's an easier or more difficult hunt in these conditions? I

would think generally easier to stick a pig, but harder for a larger kill, because the bigboys are conditioned to run like heck to survive.

This should create some interesting debate. Thanks for your time.

Originally posted by txcalfrope View Post
    This should create some interesting debate.

Yeah, either that or a quick and painless lockdown!

While it's still open, lets put this into perspective.

If your effective range is 30 yards, and you have a 360 degree field of view, you can effectively hunt an area that's 25,446 square feet. (which is the area of a circle with a 90 foot radius, for those of you that are already lost)

If you're hunting on 75 acres, it converts to 3,267,000 square feet.

At ANY given time, you can only cover 0.77% of the pasture. That leaves 99.23% in favor of the swine ... on THEIR turf.

You make the call!

Comment

id agree with texastaxi. it in my oopion is fair chase. and wiht the .77% of the pasture yuo can see youve got to take into consideratoin the amount of brush. its not gong to just be an opne field.

Comment

just say there ruining a pasture and everybodys opinion will change(shoot them and just have fun and dont worry about it)sounds like a great place to build up your skills and get your first kill.

Comment

Dont worry about what others think, its legal and sounds like fun! Plus it should present you with a pretty good opportunity for a bow kill.

Hqave fun and take pictures.

Comment

first of all welcome to the fire and your new addiction!

Now as far as the oinkers............. Like said before don't worry about if it is high fenced or if it going to be considered shooting fish in a barrel. You are new and it sounds like a great chance to get a few bow kills under your belt. So get to work and bring back some pictures!

Comment

1. Is 75-150 acres of high-fenced land too small of an area to cover for hunting hogs with a bow?
              2. If not, is this considered a fair chase or more like shooting fish in a barrel?
              3. Do you think it's an easier or more difficult hunt in these conditions? I
              would think generally easier to stick a pig, but harder for a larger kill, because the bigboys are conditioned to run like heck to survive.

Answers(Opinions):
              1.Depends on what type of terrain but I'd have to say NO. 75-100 acres may not seem like much, but remember, you're trying to get within 20 yards of 'em.If you are going to stalk them, you gonna find out just how big 100 acres can be.
              2. If it's like some places i've hunted it could actually be harder. PIGS AINT DUMB. Yes, by hunting over feeders you are more likely to assure yourself of a shot but pigs learn what to look for and they learn what to avoid.This "Fair Chase"argument sometimes kinda ticks me off. Some people think it's unethical to hunt hogs or other critters in a high fenced area but think nothing of putting out year round feeders, protein feed, or plots, attractant and anything else they can get ahold of and that's alright. Now, I personally dont hunt high fenced areas for anything other than hogs and yes, I hate to drive to my lease and go by place after place of high fenced areas. But let's face it, most of these places don't cater to the bowhunter. Most cater to the gun hunter who's tight on time and has the money. If you're bowhunting, IT"S ALL FAIR CHASE! ( CAN I GET AN AMEN!?)
              3. Most times, I've found that it's more difficult to kill a big one because they learn quick and go nocturnal, but hey! it's bowhunting! ENJOY!

Comment

i have guided hog hunts both free range and fenced hunting areas, i can tell you ive seen in some places i have guided 40 acres seemed to difficult for the majority of hunters, ive guided some top notch hunters and seen them struggle to get an effective shot on a hog, ive seen some great hunters miss ay 10 yards from a feeder on a trophy hog, like texastaxi said it is leagalm who cares what people think some people are against high fenced areas, in my opinion they suit the purpose. Not everyone has a place to hunt, nor will hunt the public land, or the time to invest. when ya go to these ranches generally there is a knowledable guide around that can put ya on the hogs or point ya in the right direction having said that go hunt the place go have fun

Comment

Folks, thanks for your feedback. Texastaxi - point well made on crunching the numbers. Thanks to all of you - texastaxi, txbowkill, east tx hog hunter, stins, drenalinjunkie, whakm and howie196 - I appreciate your time and with welcoming me to the forum.

All in all, I just wanted an unbiased opionion to gauge member perspective out here. What I did not mention (so that it wouldn't skew your response) is that in addition to bowhunting for hogs for the first time on this acerage, I may purchase it and it's operations. An unnamed '10 point' friend of mine told me that no TexasBowhunter would consider stepping foot on acerage so small, in order to hunt it. Therefore, I did care to see what you all had to say.

On the 'fair chase' piece, I couldn't agree more that regardless of size, this kind of hunt would be fun, legal and challenging. Friends of mine are veteran outdoors television producers, are not from Texas and they tend to frown on high-fenced hunting whenever we approach the subject. What they don't realize is that most property in Texas is privately held and to whakm's point, if hogs are both confined to an area and conditioned, it makes the hunt even that much more difficult.

Cheers!

Comment

oh, it will be fun either way. now, with that said, i find that most people who trash talk about these smaller leases are just using their assumptions. and just for the record, i dont have or frequent one so i am biast. i have, though hunted some smaller ranches(300-600acre) and the animals know all the tricks. even as far as getting to know that scent covers have a scent and to stay away. i think that open(low fence and lots of land) is waayyyyy easier to hunt for hogs than smaller places where they are always hunted year round. it should be a good experience either way. just dont get upset when you keep seeing the hogs but they " JUST DONT COME QUITE INTO RANGE." they do that because they know something is up. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by txcalfrope View Post
                      What I did not mention (so that it wouldn't skew your response) is that in addition to bowhunting for hogs for the first time on this acerage, I may purchase it and it's operations. An unnamed '10 point' friend of mine told me that no TexasBowhunter would consider stepping foot on acerage so small, in order to hunt it. Therefore, I did care to see what you all had to say.
                      Why didn't you just come out and ask your questions with all the cards face up rather than using this forum for your market research? I am not calling you dishonest but the way this has played out seems a little underhanded. Maybe it's just me, but this kind of post just sits wrong with me.

Dave S

Comment

Originally posted by DaveS903 View Post
                        Why didn't you just come out and ask your questions with all the cards face up rather than using this forum for your market research? I am not calling you dishonest but the way this has played out seems a little underhanded. Maybe it's just me, but this kind of post just sits wrong with me.

Dave S
                        I agree. Not the right way to go about it...

On a side note I probably wouldn't hunt it just because I don't feel it is enough space for others and I like to hunt with a bunch of friends.
                        Jeff Young

Comment

Howie guided me at Huntnshoot which is 100 arces total high fence. And if you think for a second that its' a cake walk, homie you're in for it! It was alot more challenging than what I thought. Sometimes while stalking, you wouldn't see a pig for hours. And believe me, that walking that 100 arces got old real quick!

Comment

Dang ... you guys take it easy on the guy!

Anyway, txcalfrope, most of the people (and I stress MOST) that talk trash about high fenced operation have never set foot in one. This property could be your own little slice of heaven so don't let other's beliefs sway your decision.

Comment

Dave, respectfully I think you're in the weeds on this one and while we're talking, let's please not pull any punches - calling me underhanded is just a gentleman's way of calling someone dishonest or deceptive. I don't appreciate it.

Now, assuming you want to shake on it and move on, the opinions of everyone here still matter to me for I am someone who is looking forward to hog hunting hogs with a bow for the first time. I value their feedback and it was my belief that if I also suggested I was chewing on the idea that I may want to purchase this shtick, then that added variable would sku a person's opinion. If my intent was to do market research, then I'd throw down coin and systematically gather, record and analyze data and information from thousands of polled hunters in the region from a respectable marketing agency.

Comment

Working...
                              X