6.7 Cummins Opinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.7 Cummins Opinions Please

I asked about the 6.4 Powerstroke in another thread and got scared completely away from it so I figured I would ask about another truck I found. It's a 2009 Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 in it. It's a barn find I guess you could say. The guy bought it new and did some mods to "delete" it (no idea what that means) and a bunch more stuff. It has a tuner on the dash. Anyway, he shortly after that got a different job with a company truck and never drove it. It's sitting in his garage with lots of dust on it and a battery maintainer hooked to it. It has 21,000 miles on it and has every option known to man on it. Anyway, what do I look for or avoid with this engine? Good engine or keep looking? He gave me a price that's way below NADA trade-in value for it but I don't want it if it's going to be a headache. I really wanted a 3/4 ton SRW and this one is a 1 ton DRW mega cab but it's an incredibly nice truck and the price is cheap. Never had a diesel and don't want to buy myself a problem.

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
    I asked about the 6.4 Powerstroke in another thread and got scared completely away from it so I figured I would ask about another truck I found. It's a 2009 Dodge 3500 with the 6.7 in it. It's a barn find I guess you could say. The guy bought it new and did some mods to "delete" it (no idea what that means) and a bunch more stuff. It has a tuner on the dash. Anyway, he shortly after that got a different job with a company truck and never drove it. It's sitting in his garage with lots of dust on it and a battery maintainer hooked to it. It has 21,000 miles on it and has every option known to man on it. Anyway, what do I look for or avoid with this engine? Good engine or keep looking? He gave me a price that's way below NADA trade-in value for it but I don't want it if it's going to be a headache. I really wanted a 3/4 ton SRW and this one is a 1 ton DRW mega cab but it's an incredibly nice truck and the price is cheap. Never had a diesel and don't want to buy myself a problem.

Never have owned one...but. Their owners are absolutely rabidly in love with them. Like next level creepy kinda. That has to be a good sign! LOL. My brother has had 3. He won't shut up about them.

When they first came out I heard some people complaining of a EGR cooler issue or something but if its deleted than that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

What is the guys name and number and $$$ amount.

Comment

Sounds like it would be hard to pass up. The Cummins is good to go. It’s already been deleted.

Comment

Cummins isnt the issue with that truck. Its the electronics and front end from the 2 I've owned.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
            Cummins isnt the issue with that truck. Its the electronics and front end from the 2 I've owned.

Details?

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              Details?
              Dude. Whatever truck you buy someone out there will be, when describing the exact same truck:

-LOVE IT, OMG I SLEEP IN IT AND DESCRIBE IT IN ALL CAPS.

-Meh, nothing special. Would or wouldn't do again.

-Worst truck EVER!!!! What a POS!!! Costs me tens of millions of dollars!!! Never drove, just saw it on a lift everyday!!! I must use tons of exclamation points so you know I am yelling!!!!

Just wondering if you knew that. Plus, an archery forum isn't the place. Google and industry/vehicle specific forums.

Not trying to be sarcastic. Its probable you know everything I've said, just thought I would come out and say it in the off chance you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                Dude. Whatever truck you buy someone out there will be, when describing the exact same truck:

-Worst truck EVER!!!! What a POS!!! Costs me tens of millions of dollars!!! Never drove, just saw it on a lift everyday!!! I must use tons of exclamation points so you know I am yelling!!!!

Just wondering if you knew that. Plus, an archery forum isn't the place. Google and industry/vehicle specific forums.

Not trying to be sarcastic. Its probable you know everything I've said, just thought I would come out and say it in the off chance you didn't.

I appreciate your input but this is actually the perfect place to ask this question. This place is full of hundreds if not thousands of people that are just like me that don’t mind giving their experiences. Lots of good people here and I know lots of them personally. I know there are good and bad experiences with every truck but when you get 10 bad experiences for every 1 good experience then that’s not a coincidence. So, I asked the question and I read the responses and make up my mind.

Comment

Since it’s already been deleted the problematic stuff with the engine has been taken care of. The engine should last as long as you want to drive it.

I might be concerned about the transmission since it’s been sitting so long and of course if it’s truly sitting in a barn there is a real possibility of rodent damage to wiring and any other soft parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post

Member since 2009 you should know TBH is better than Google. Out of season this place is full of discussion with a variety of subjects. I would ask anything here I had a question about. I do know many members personally and that may be why I would ask. After all we are sitting "Around The Campfire" talking!

Comment

My experience has been great. One of my work trucks is a 6.7 Cummins. It also has very low miles but isn't deleted. The one you found deleted is a plus. Smooth ride and easy to maintain.

Comment

I would give it a good washing to see what it looks like clean, drive it then take it to a mechanic to check out. if all checks out and runs well and if it is a good price I say buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                          Member since 2009 you should know TBH is better than Google. Out of season this place is full of discussion with a variety of subjects. I would ask anything here I had a question about. I do know many members personally and that may be why I would ask. After all we are sitting "Around The Campfire" talking!
                          LOL. Truth.

Also some BS boots needed time to time. Didn't know if OP knew that.

Comment

I have a 09 DRW 4x4 also. Other than 2 water pumps I can't complain. 130k on it, and it takes about 30 min to change the pump.

Comment

I have about 170k on my 2011 no problems after it was deleted so you should be good to go. Like mike said check it good for rodent damage open air box before starting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X