Veterinarian question about rimadyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterinarian question about rimadyl

Took my 12 year old lab in first thing yesterday (Friday) morning. Thursday night she refused to get up using her back legs. Friday morning she urinated 2 times and it looked like pure blood then she fell over and laid in it. Once I got her washed up I got her to the vet.
    The vet called and told me it was the spondylosis she was diagnosed with two years ago. They told me not to treat unless it bothered her, it never did. She had been fine playing in the sprinkler for the last two days.
    They didn't do blood work that they told me was absolutely required being as she was over 5 years old. I asked and was told that was not needed.
    They prescribed rimadyl which she has taken before but it's been 3 years, tramadol, and clavimox after I called them 2 times to ask why they weren't addressing the blood.
    This morning at 3 my wife woke up to her crying as she passed away foaming at the mouth and blood pouring out of her backside.
    They've always made us get bloodwork before prescribed rimadyl for any other dogs because they said it can mess up kidneys/liver. Would it have happened that fast?
    I was ignored on all of my concerns and tried getting her into two other vets in town that would no accept new patients. I let her down and should have pressed the vet harder to check something and not just let her tell me this was an old disease. She was a different dog in 24 hours from Wednesday to Thursday.
    Last edited by doublearrow; 05-19-2018, 02:55 AM.

I don't have an answer for you but I'm very sorry about your dog.

Comment

Brother... words cant say it enough how sorry i am for you, your family. praying for yall.

Comment

Certainly sounds like she had an adverse reaction to the combination of meds. Terribly sorry to hear about your dog.

Comment

Double I’m very sorry also! That’s not a very good way to see things go down.

I do have to say that if your dog couldn’t use it’s hind legs and had peed that much blood, something was very wrong. I can only guess but I’m thinking she probably should have been put down to begin with. Maybe the vet recognized this and didn’t communicate it very well. It sounds to me like they tried to medicate her to make her comfortable, not to heal her.

Really sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fooshman View Post
            I don't have an answer for you but I'm very sorry about your dog.
            Thanks you. Mad and sad all at the same time. She was the best dog I've ever had.
            Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
            Brother... words cant say it enough how sorry i am for you, your family. praying for yall.
            Thank you.
            Originally posted by Playa View Post
            Certainly sounds like she had an adverse reaction to the combination of meds. Terribly sorry to hear about your dog.
            I don't think she started the meds when she was in a good state.

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
            Double I’m very sorry also! That’s not a very good way to see things go down.

I do have to say that if your dog couldn’t use it’s hind legs and had peed that much blood, something was very wrong. I can only guess but I’m thinking she probably should have been put down to begin with. Maybe the vet recognized this and didn’t communicate it very well. It sounds to me like they tried to medicate her to make her comfortable, not to heal her.

Really sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Thank you. We talked about putting her down. She made me feel like an idiot for even suggesting it. I could not convince her not getting up or only walking 3 or 4 steps before laying down was sudden, along with the blood. She told me most folks wait until they can't eat and they are soiling themselves. I wanted a blood test and it was required but not done. I wanted it to see if she had something we couldn't fight so I could put her down yesterday and not have her suffer like she did.
            This vet has the bedside manner of a rattle snake, but she is a fill in vet for the owners who are great.

Comment

$$$$$, it's about the dollars now.

Comment

First my thoughts and prayers to your family.

I lost my 12 year old lab 2 months ago. He went down hill quick. Three day period. Some of those pain killers can make them beyond crazy. Mine stumbled down Hall, was restless, pee’d every where etc.

When my dog wouldn’t get up, I took him to emergency vet, he said spine/hips. So he doped him up. I couldn’t handle the crazy effects

My vet told me to stop all meds. After seeing him, he suspected brain tumor, not spine or hips. thus going from great to bad to great to bad, and explained when he went so quickly as he did.

Comment

Sound like maybe a bad kidney infection
                  UroSepsis following

I've seen uti turn a sane person into a hospitalized mentally ill person in a matter of hours once it's in the blood ..dog r no different

Comment

Sorry about the loss of your dog. Unlikely that the rimadyl caused the loss of your pet. Sounds like the initial problem was worse than the veterinarian realized or didn't look into.

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
                    $$$$$, it's about the dollars now.
                    Really? Did you read the post? The owner wanted to do more testing (ie $$$$) and the veterinarian did not do it.

Comment

Sorry for your loss. It’s highly unlikely that it was the Rimadyl in that time frame. I suspect more was going on (allergic reaction, hemolytic anemia). Apparently I need to open a clinic in Midland if they are turning away new clients. An old roommate of mine has a clinic in Monahans if you need help in the future (I know he they see a lot of patients for Midland/Odessa).
                      Last edited by Bmfvet; 05-19-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                        Really? Did you read the post? The owner wanted to do more testing (ie $$$$) and the veterinarian did not do it.

Agreed.....if anything the vet saved them some money by not doing all the bloodwork and having them come in. If it was all about the money, the vet would have had them bring them in and run a barrage of tests...not to mention the cost of any post test treatments....and if it was a hemmorhage ,the dog could have still passed.

Sorry about you dog OP... my lab Abby died at 12 as well and it was a blood disease. Horrible to see them go from great to nothing so quick but 12 years is a lotta years for a lab. The pup lived a full life. My condolences.

Comment

Sorry, we are lucky to have a very exceptional vet. He always explains the options but will honestly answer the question, “if this were your dog, what would you do.”

Forget the bad and remember the good... that’s all I got brother.

Comment

very sorry for your loss, tragic indeed.

Comment

Thanks everyone. She was a **** good dog. Watched over both kids when we brought em home from the hospital. She was around for alot of changes in the last 12 years in our life. I was pretty attached to her.

Comment

Working...
                              X