Anyone else having this problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
    I Hunt in central Texas and am having the same issue, we have hunted this place for the last 10 years and have never seen it like this. I think it’s just a “bad” year, whatever that means. All I know is I HAVE TO be there for the last weekend even though I went after Christmas for 4 days and hunted ALL DAY everyday and did not see even 1 deer the whole time! Very frustrating! I talked to the land owners they said that they have never seen it like this. Also talked to our Game Warden he said he has heard the same story from ALOT of hunters this year. Maybe this weekend will be better, I hope!
    Dude this is typical SETx deer hunting. I haven't seen a deer since the 23rd of Nov. One pic in 3 weeks.

Comment

Do you guys corn the roads each time you drive/walk in? From what I've seen they will eventually associate the noises/sightings with food .

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
        Do you guys corn the roads each time you drive/walk in? From what I've seen they will eventually associate the noises/sightings with food .
        This. Every time I drive the gator in I throw out corn from the spreader. Tuthdoc was a big believer in this and I believe it. They hear the gator and know goodies are going to be left.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          This. Every time I drive the gator in I throw out corn from the spreader. Tuthdoc was a big believer in this and I believe it. They hear the gator and know goodies are going to be left.
          That works if there isn't a lot of food, what if there is plenty of food? I have never seen this in SETx...ever. I been hunting here since 86

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            That works if there isn't a lot of food, what if there is plenty of food? I have never seen this in SETx...ever. I been hunting here since 86
            Never hunted East Texas so not sure.

Comment

Never hunted East Texas so not sure.
              Hand corning works until they know you are there, but to have a deer come while you are spreading it? You got better odds in winning the lottery

Comment

Having issues with seeing deer this year as well. Really light activity at my place in Doss compared to years past. Unlike previous years this year the deer have gone primarily nocturnal...seeing boat loads on camera at night but they're not coming out in the daylight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

No roads are feed and I have 2 setups, its this way at both blinds, I'm in one and daughter is in other. Everyone on are lease is kinda in the same boat.

God Bless

Comment

They know
                    Yep.

Comment

Great OP and a mystery for many hunters. I have sat in my blind and had other lease members get down early, start up their rides heading back to camp. Watched many a deer pause and listen, then go back to feeding. But, late in the season it's young deer and NOT the wall hangers in my experience. Mature Bucks seem to stay hidden once the rut is over or they venture out beyond the typical stand hunting times, that's how they get to be mature bucks IMO.

I took the biggest buck ever on our lease November 24th, then the rut was done and still have not seen another BIG 8pt that came within 20 feet of my rifle blind in early November? But, he was a great buck and just stood there looking up at my 10' blind...no way to get a shot, left and have not seen him since.

A big part of the time spent in the stand is figuring out when "Big Boy" will show up from game pics or like I described? I'm not like so many of you young guys/gals, I can't walk without a lot of pain more than 50 yards to my elevated stand anymore. Age has caught me and has no mercy these days. So I park my Ranger within 20 +/- yards of my stand. The feeder is 120 yards from the stand so I have "some" relief. Again, harvested a great buck this year so who knows....But, "it's the mystery of the hunt" that makes it a memory to last forever!

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                        On a lease in Jerymn Tx, have feeders up and cameras running, Bucks and does always on camera, been hunting since opening day, when we are there, pretty much nothing comes in, we leave go back next weekend, same thing deer all over camera but nothing much comes in when we are there. I walk about a mile in and out and go in back way, so I know its not scent problem, plus been hunting over 40+years and know that I'm not doing nothing wrong, but this is hard to figure out, going to try the last weekend and see what happens.

God Bless
                        Bish

And Happy New Year to all
                        Had the same thing happen in lovelady Texas

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Really bad timing.

Comment

I had similar experiences most of the season. My windows are solid pieces of plywood and I would leave the window facing the feeder open whenever I was in the box. A couple weeks before Thanksgiving, I went in with a hole saw and cut 3" holes in each window and covered with lexan. Now whenever I am in the blind, I leave all windows closed until I am ready to shoot. Activity at my feeder while I am there has increased dramatically.

Comment

I've been studying game cam photos for the last couple of days. I try to be either in a blind or tripod a full hour before sunrise. It seems that i've probably been running animals out of area on my way in. Almost all my pics have animals in the pens at the time i'm approaching. It looks like i'd have to hit a sweet spot about 4:30 a.m. not to disturb animals. I don't have that in me.

Comment

Different activity and noise when you are there. I would start road feeding around the blinds this off season to let the deer associate traffic with corn. It has worked very well for me for the last 28 yrs.

Comment

Working...
                                X