Amistad hunt tips please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amistad hunt tips please

I'm planning on going to Amistad in Nov. My main target wil be an aoudad, but I will stick a deer if I get the chance. Anyone have any good tips? Which area is the best? I'm thinking about camping and scouting Sunday and hunting Monday-Wednesday.

You will only have Auodad in Area 4. It is only accessible by boat. Area 5 has muflon sheep. I went last week and did not see a single sheep in area 5. don't know what happened to them. Maybe they got pushed out and might come back later.

Comment

Dang. Well, thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I don't have a boat. How far is it? I'm a pretty good swimmer. J/k. So area 4 has muflon? How were the deer there?

Comment

Area 5 has muflon sometimes. Not many deer in 5. would be best off going to area 2, 3 or even area 1 for deer.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

What hotel is the closest and what are the rates?

Comment

An Aoudad was shot in Area 5 two years ago. It's highly unlikely that you'll see one. Not trying to discourage you... just reality.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up boweye

Comment

There is American camp grounds but you are not allowed to take any deer onto the property unless it's packaged already. There is Sleepy Lady RV park that has cabins starting at $50 a night 8304886257. Studio 6 about $45 a night. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                    You will only have Auodad in Area 4. It is only accessible by boat. Area 5 has muflon sheep. I went last week and did not see a single sheep in area 5. don't know what happened to them. Maybe they got pushed out and might come back later.
                    Same here I'm here in Del Rio been out there twice this season and seen only 1 muflon and it was off the public land area 5 been there super early first ones there and combed the whole unit and nothing , I was over 25,000 steps on my app and it was before 9:30am ..... Mines the white jeep .!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunt3 View Post
                      There is American camp grounds but you are not allowed to take any deer onto the property unless it's packaged already. There is Sleepy Lady RV park that has cabins starting at $50 a night 8304886257. Studio 6 about $45 a night. Hope that helps
                      Thanks!

Comment

Does anyone know the distance between area 4 and the boat ramp? Is it reasonable to paddle a kayak across the water?
                        Last edited by Efren; 10-21-2017, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                          Does anyone know the distance between area 4 and the boat ramp? Is it reasonable to paddle a kayak across the water?
                          It's a little over two miles from either the 277 ramps or the black brush ramp. Obviously, the distance to yak over is not a problem unless the weather is acting up, in particular the wind. I will PM you with additional info here in a bit.

Comment

Two miles might be pushing it since I don't really kayak. If it was closer, then I was going to borrow a friends kayak.

Comment

Are the vehicle parking spots particularly safe at the entrances to the hunting grounds? Is there parking for hunters in the hunting land entrances? And obviously don't leave anything inside that would tempt anyone, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X