Feeder Zapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Zapper

I was reviewing the threads on shocking coons to keep them out of the feeders and saw the link for the Zapper
    (http://www.americanhunterfeeders.com...cessories.html) BL-BV1.

It says it should be used inside their R-KIT or RD-KIT housing and hooked to the battery.

Can it be used with any feeder motor? I have either the Kenco or the Moultrie with the digital timer, 5 programable times. How would I hook it up with this system?

No, it can't. I called them about a month ago and asked them that very thing. I'd love to know a way to modify it to make it work. All the other battery powered *******s I have found are much more expensive.

Comment

did they say why? if it just hooking up to the battery and not through the timer why wouldn,t it work...it would be silly to run it through the timer cause it would only work when it was throwing? a small capacitor would work the same way..

Comment

As I understood it, it doesn't hook up straight to the battery. It somehow plugs into something on the timer, which provides it power. That's why I said that I'd love to know how to modify it to simply have two wires to connect to the battery. If some of you electrical minds can figure it out, please enlighten us.

Comment

If you look at the kits they reference it is probably because it is designed to work with the small wiring wound around their spinners. Probably wouldn't work with a larger critter type cage. JMHO.

Comment

that again comes back to having to have power to the motor to make it shock,if there is power to the spinner it is passing through the motor.or they have some sort of brush block,and you aint gettin that for 19.95!

i'm going to e.l.o. today after work to look for a capacitor,if i can find one with a negligable leak down rate it would be better,you wouldn't have a draw on your battery because it wouldn't discharge any energy till it found a ground/coon..

Comment

I bought one of those and wired it up direct to it's own battery. I need someone to hold the wires to see if it works. Any volunteers?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                I bought one of those and wired it up direct to it's own battery. I need someone to hold the wires to see if it works. Any volunteers?
                Send it to me and I'll test it for you.

Comment

lol texasgrown is feeling a lil lazy now a days.

Comment

Texas Grown and jettech17, would you please post diagrams and / or pictures of your set ups? I know nothing about electricity or such stuff.

Comment

I have not seen one but I can not see why it couldn't be used without their housing. You might have to do some modifying but it should work. I think Westex has it right they are probably saying you have to have their housing with the wire around the spinner. You would have to make something to hook it to that is insulated from the drum as most varmit cages are attached directly to drum.

I thought I saw somewhere on this site that these drained batteries pretty quick??? Maybe I am thinking of something else.

Comment

if you wanted to go the zapper route,you could use poly wiring adel clamps for your wire...and yea i imagine it would drain a battery pretty quick that is why i want to try a capacitor instead.no drain till discharge..i couldn't get away from the airfield in time to get to the elect. parts house the other day but i will try today..i think they say it won't work because the plug is made to fit their unit..if you cut the plug off i bet it work great

Comment

Originally posted by jettech17 View Post
                          if you wanted to go the zapper route,you could use poly wiring adel clamps for your wire...and yea i imagine it would drain a battery pretty quick that is why i want to try a capacitor instead.no drain till discharge..i couldn't get away from the airfield in time to get to the elect. parts house the other day but i will try today..i think they say it won't work because the plug is made to fit their unit..if you cut the plug off i bet it work great

I'm not sure if I understand what advantage the capacitor will be. What will recharge the cap when something gets zapped and drains it?? Are you considering just using a capacitor by itself?? If thats the case you will have to get a pretty big one or the first time something gets into it the cap will pop.
                          Last edited by DWG; 07-12-2007, 01:46 PM.

Comment

the cap wouldn't be a punk,that's for sure..but if you get a cap with almost nill leak down rate,it would take less juice than the zapper to keep it fresh

Comment

Originally posted by jettech17 View Post
                              ......i think they say it won't work because the plug is made to fit their unit..if you cut the plug off i bet it work great
                              That is what I did. I also added a mico toggle on/off that I can trip with a stick while it is in the cage.

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                              Texas Grown and jettech17, would you please post diagrams and / or pictures of your set ups? I know nothing about electricity or such stuff.
                              Dusty, I will see if I can get some pics up soon.

And voluteers for testing this unit???

Comment

Working...
                              X