No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about the south side of the lake? Turkey creek,short creek? Or on the north side Evans canyon,and Martins Canyon? I'm mostly looking for muledeer!
    Last edited by Archer156; 10-12-2010, 03:35 AM. Reason: Was not finished posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Archer156 View Post
      How about the south side of the lake? Turkey creek,short creek? Or on the north side Evans canyon,and Martins Canyon? I'm mostly looking for muledeer!
      The map I have does not even list most of those names.....LOL
      I was looking for mule deer as well. On the south side Turkey creek was going to be my next try......on the north side I hunted around Chimney Hollow and hiked north from there.....then hunted around the west side of the Plum Creek area and hiked 1.5 miles west from there, could see devils canyon but did not get to it. Turned around and headed back before it got too hot.
      I would think Devils canyon would hold some nice ones if it is hunted before the rifle guys get in there.
      Last edited by a3dhunter; 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM. Reason: incorrect info in original post

Comment

Has anyone tried the stilling pond area? I know what you said about north side but it appears to be away from the people walking their dogs

Comment

I'm not sure if you can hunt the stilling basin, but there is a nice canyon north of the stilling basin that usually has white tail and muleys. I think they call the area over there the triangle. There is only one road in that I know of and it is on 687 .

Comment

My dad and I are leaving friday morning sometime hoping to get there for the afternoon hunt! I will probly be hunting south turkey creek area to start with then move to the north side of the lake and check out some of it the rest of the weekend. Wish us luck!Kenny

Comment

Best of luck Archer! Hope to hear of you droppin one in the dirt.

I will be interested in your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer156 View Post
                My dad and I are leaving friday morning sometime hoping to get there for the afternoon hunt! I will probly be hunting south turkey creek area to start with then move to the north side of the lake and check out some of it the rest of the weekend. Wish us luck!Kenny
                If you aren't seeing anything, remind yourself, it only takes one!

The deer seemed to start moving about 3:30-4pm out there up on the mesa's, but they have seemed to be staying up high rather than down in the canyons.

Comment

Thumper, thanks for the good luck! a3dhunter, thanks for the advice I will post at night if I can get out with the phone in there! If you get to come out give me a call! Kenny

Comment

my brother in law just got back from a 5 day hunt there and did not see a SINGLE mule deer - Not even at a distance

Comment

If it is like the rest of Texas,"Lots of food for the deer"
                      There isn't really any reason for the deer to drop down into the canyons unless it is to get to water.

Good luck and use the Bino's more than you use your feet!

Comment

Hunted sat. in south turkey creek and saw two whitetail doe and 7 muledeer doe! Not to bad of a hike but the tumble weed brush was thick in areas and you had to go around them because there was no way to go though it! Seen the does around 9a.m. I got to the south turkey creek a little later than I would have liked. It looks really good in there and the next time I go in there I will make a pike camp and hunt from it in there for a couple days! Sunday morning we packed up and drove around to the north side and checked out other areas and plum creek looked good just really dry there they have not had much rain there this year one of the rangers told us! Good trip learned some more about the place and know now that if you want a good chance at a buck you need to stay a week or so to get back into the good areas and hunt them with out being presured to get back to camp!

Comment

Sounds like you did quite a bit of scouting and sw some deer. Good for you. It's always nice to see deer and you get to make the decision of harvesting one.

Good info. I will keep it in mind if I get a chance to hunt there next week.

Comment

I'm sorry to bring back a old thread but I think I'v read all the forums about this place and can't find what I'm looking for. I was planning a last min trip up there to hunt a archery mule deer. My friend and I was wondering if it would be better to bring horses or would it be impossible and that if we just needed to hike in there. He was wanting to go deep and get away from everybody and hopefully find a good one. Any addvise is appreciated in anyway. We don't know anything about the area. Thanks again

Comment

We always hike but hey i wouldnt mind if some horses ran a buck up to us. We'll be out there oct 7-12 around the Plum Creek side

Comment

Originally posted by Joshrhds View Post
                                I'm sorry to bring back a old thread but I think I'v read all the forums about this place and can't find what I'm looking for. I was planning a last min trip up there to hunt a archery mule deer. My friend and I was wondering if it would be better to bring horses or would it be impossible and that if we just needed to hike in there. He was wanting to go deep and get away from everybody and hopefully find a good one. Any addvise is appreciated in anyway. We don't know anything about the area. Thanks again
                                I'm a little late to help but if you have horses it sure would make it easier to cover some ground. There's a good trail in Plum Creek that will take you to Devil's Canyon. There are roads in Devil's Canyon that will take you to Big Canyon and Saddlehorse Canyon. Devil's and Big Canyon usually have more mule deer and Saddlehorse seems like it has mostly whitetails.
                                I think you can get to Martin's Canyon from the top of Blue West by horse also.

I'm not sure about the other side. I know there's a good trail from Mullinaw in McBride Canyon to Cost as Creek. That should be good hunting.

There's also some good hunting coming in from highway 287 between Amarillo and Dumas. East of the bridge is Federal land and west of the bridge is state land. I'm not real familiar with the state land but I know there's been some nice mule deer killed over there the last couple of years.

Comment

Working...
                                X