Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age did you feel comfortable letting kiddo hunt on their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know there are several factors, but curious what age you felt comfortable letting your child hunt(rifle) on their own.

I put mine out at 9 but I put them in the blind and I got them out of the blind. Told them to stay til I came to get them, even if they shot something do not get out. With binoculars.and instructions not to look at things thru their scopes. They probably did anyway. I was a kid once.

Comment

My 12 year old asked if he can sit at a blind by himself next time we go. He asked and I'm comfortable with his gun safety knowledge, so I'll let him. I'm proud, but a little sad that he won't be sitting with me.

Comment

I killed my first at 8 with my dad 30 yards from me in a climber. by 10 I was going to and from my stand alone. with kids today I dont know if I would trust them alone at 20 lol. but in reality I think 14 or so going totally solo and 10 to 12 getting dropped off

Comment

12 but I was never far. He didn't know that part.

Comment

I had my oldest son sit by himself with no gun for a couple years (from time to time) before letting him have a rifle. After I realized he was seeing more deer than I was, I gave him his 30-30 and told him to kill something.

Comment

I think I was around 12.

Comment

Around 12

Comment

Comment

As soon as he took his hunter safety class, of course. 12

Comment

I let my daughter hunt, when she told me that she was comfortable going out by herself at night. (Around age 14)

She goes to sit in the blind, and puts the hurt on pigs and coons.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I think my son was 16. I let him walk to his own stand and hunt alone. He didn' take the hunter safety course until age 15. To be honest I enjoyed hunting with him, and didn't push the issue. Also we hunted in AR counties, so I wanted to make sure he was good at judging legal/illegal deer.

Comment

Not sure I'll ever let mine hunt by himself.....I enjoy it too much! Lol. He's 13 with a ton of kills under his belt so I know the time is near unfortunately.

Comment

Depends on the kids maturity level to me. I know adults I wouldn't let hunt alone. Lol

Comment

Thankful and yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X