Do it Yourself Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do it Yourself Hunts

I would like to start planning a Do It Yourself (Budget) hunt next year for Mule Deer and Elk. What States are good to look at? Tags? Supplies? Expenses? Any help from the GS Experts.

I have done a few for antelope and one trip for mule deer-all in WY and would recommend joining HuntinFool.com. It is $100 for a year but that includes them helping you chose a good place to hunt, draw odds and they really know their stuff-the Carters know their stuff. I would also check out MonsterMuleys.com forum-a bunch of experienced guys and many will be glad to help out a newbie.

Comment

Talk to Jarred (Muley4x4). He does a hunt every year in Montana, but might be wyoming. He drives up there, hunts public land for mulies, and drives back. Does the trip with a few other guys and said it usually ends up cosing ~$400 per person. I'll be going next year.

Comment

Colorado!!!! We are leaving for Ridgway, Co on the 19th of October. We are a group of 6 and we all put $500 in the pot plus our tag ($344) . So for around $850 each we get a nice cabin on 5 acres (10 nights), food, fuel and a mule deer tag. I have been 3 other times and have not spent more than $1000 and have came home with my tag filled. Of the 3 times I have been 2 were for mule deer and 1 was for elk. Let me know if have anymore question.

Matt

Comment

I'll be at my lease next weekend( not far from Drippin)
          Let's get together and discuss it. I have been DIY NM and CO . For 26 years

Comment

I go to colorado , Wyoming or new mexico every year. Would be happy to answer questions-send me a p.m.
            I'm leaving for Colorado in 3 weeks. Drew an bull elk and mulie tag($900). I normally go earlier/archery hunts. Colder weather brings on a few other expenses/issues-best to go earlier in the year if budget is a priority.
            For a "first time around", I would suggest a wyoming pronghorn hunt(rifle)-better odds of being drawn and filling tag. Antelope tags tend are more reasonably priced too. ...you'll be hooked if you do it!

Comment

Put in for the draw in all states you are interested in.
              Colorado is the best for over the counter tags.(deer are draw only)
              With a group of 4 about $1200 each will cover every thing.
              Subscribe to Eastmans bow hunting journal. Lots of good info there.
              Don't go expecting to kill. Go for the experience and fun. (average success rate for archery elk in Co. is about 9%)
              Go have the time of your life and (talk to God and listen to the casual reply)

Comment

Awesome. Thanks to all. I will be shooting out Pm's this weekend. Or early next week. I have to get out of here. This waiting game is driving me crazy.

Comment

Here is a few pics from our past trips to colorado!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by molina623; 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X