sight opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sight opinion

My daughter is shooting the fast eddie xl single pin on a freestyle setup with a lens and peep lens. we have kinda hit a road block. She is consistent 290 and up shooter. Problem is that is on a single spot target she will have between 250 and 35 x's and when she misses it is not by very much. We try to switch to a 5 spot and drop a good 10 points. she says she just sees so much of the other spots has trouble focusing on one. have tried smaller peep and did not help thought of going to a smaller scope housing. just hate to spend the money and it not help. trying to get it so she can basically only see one spot at a time. Thinking of tring to rig the sight to make it a smaller housing to try it. Guess looking for thoughts and see if anyone else has had a similar issue. She is losing a lot of points because of bounce offs

Originally posted by lk05077 View Post
    My daughter is shooting the fast eddie xl single pin on a freestyle setup with a lens and peep lens. we have kinda hit a road block. She is consistent 290 and up shooter. Problem is that is on a single spot target she will have between 250 and 35 x's and when she misses it is not by very much. We try to switch to a 5 spot and drop a good 10 points. she says she just sees so much of the other spots has trouble focusing on one. have tried smaller peep and did not help thought of going to a smaller scope housing. just hate to spend the money and it not help. trying to get it so she can basically only see one spot at a time. Thinking of tring to rig the sight to make it a smaller housing to try it. Guess looking for thoughts and see if anyone else has had a similar issue. She is losing a lot of points because of bounce offs
    You are on the right track, and while I hate to say it, you will have to spend some money to find what works.

Everything will have to work for her, what someone else shoots isn't going to cut it.

Think of this, the lens, the housing, the focal distance, the peep size and the clarifier all need to work for her so she she sees the most stable sight picture. You have to think of all these components as a single piece of equipment; the lens, the housing, the distance from the pin to the peep, the peep size and the clarifier are just one long "tube" that must be custom built.

For example, a higher magnification in the lens will make the target fill the scope more, a dot, or a circle will let her see only the 5 ring, but the dot or ring will change sizes with the magnification of the lens.

Probably the most common set up I see is an 1 3/8" housing with a 2-4X lens and a 1/16th or 3/32 peep; but that's for grown men with something like a 31" focal length (length from peep to pin).

My advice is to get the Spark housing from Spott Hogg and a specialty archery peep kit with different size apertures and start experimenting. If not the spark find a housing and a lens that you can use the stickers on, either a dot to cover the whole 5 ring, or a circle to cover outside the 5 ring.

Also think of using a blinder, either on the housing or on her face/hat/glasses; she may be seeing too much of the target with her non-dominant eye and not necessarily through the scope housing.

Good luck.

Comment

thanks I am thinking going with the spark we tried all the way down to the 2nd from smallest specialty peep and all she said was I see the same but it is darker which I knew would happen. I took a piece of cardboard and cut a 1 inch circle in it and attached it to her sight and she said she liked it going to try it tomorrow night in a indoor shoot and see how it goes think a 29mm housing is what she is after. thanks for the reply. she is 11 but knows what she likes and doesn't like just can't always tell me so I understand what she wants. with the card board she says all she sees is out to the 4 ring on the 5 spot so drastic change

Comment

Might need to consider a different housing with a different glass. They actually make a lens that is only clear in the center, so all you can see if the spot. The rest of the lens is smoked/etched/or whatever. Adjusting the distance from the riser will change how much of the spot is visible, so you might have to play around with that to get the sight picture you need.

Comment

Working...
        X