Making new deer feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making new deer feeders

So I'm making 2 deer feeders from 55gal steel drum, but I have a slight concern. The barrels aren't "food grade" barrels. Will this pose an issue? I did wash and scrub them down with Dawn liquid soap with plenty of water rinses.

You'll be fine with em

Comment

I would think they will be fine unless they had some really bad stuff in them to start with!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
        So I'm making 2 deer feeders from 55gal steel drum, but I have a slight concern. The barrels aren't "food grade" barrels. Will this pose an issue? I did wash and scrub them down with Dawn liquid soap with plenty of water rinses.

I don’t think it will matter. Are you worried about what was in the drum before? Some of the drums are painted on the outside with different paint and some hold up better than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
          I don’t think it will matter. Are you worried about what was in the drum before? Some of the drums are painted on the outside with different paint and some hold up better than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The drum was painted yellow on the inside and its black on the outside. Here's a pic of the feeder. As you can see I shorten it by 11.5" since I only fill a regular 55gal drum feeder half way(about 175lbs). This will take 200lbs of feed with just a tad to spare. The plastic lid fits super snug. The legs are 6" long cut at an angle to create a wide base. Thanks gents.

Last edited by joel45acp; 07-11-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I have one that came with an ingredient to make fire and nuclear proof insulation. It's over 20 years old and no 3 eyed deer yet

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
              The drum was painted yellow on the inside and its black on the outside. Here's a pic of the feeder. As you can see I shorten it by 11.5" since I only fill a regular 55gal drum feeder half way(about 175lbs). This will take 200lbs of feed with just a tad to spare. The plastic lid fits super snug. The legs are 6" long cut at an angle to create a wide base. Thanks gents.

Just curious, why only 1/2 full? I have a 30 gallon barrel and it holds 4 sacks without a funnel. I’m switching to 55 gal so I don’t have to fill them as often

Comment

Where’d you get that lid?

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                  Where’d you get that lid?
                  Looks like the plastic lids you can get at academy. I would look for a metal one. Less likely to fly off and squirrels can't chew a hole in them.

Comment

IF your lid seals tight, you may have problems with condensation during big temp changes and that will make it a really nasty mess inside with spoiled corn. Been there, done that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      IF your lid seals tight, you may have problems with condensation during big temp changes and that will make it a really nasty mess inside with spoiled corn. Been there, done that!

Yup. Too tight makes a big mess. The corn needs to breathe

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        I've got the metal lids that I have to beat down on top they fit so snug and have not had a problem in the 8 years I've been using them. Your corn molded up on you?

Comment

Just curious, why only 1/2 full? I have a 30 gallon barrel and it holds 4 sacks without a funnel. I’m switching to 55 gal so I don’t have to fill them as often [/QUOTE]

Since I'm at my lease twice a month I figured 200lbs of corn would be sufficient. From what I can figure out the feeder dispenses about 35lbs very two wks, so 200lbs will last almost 3months at that rate. My other lease buddies have been using the same lid(Academy $19.99) for several years with no issues with mold or damage from mice. Of course my mileage might vary so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                            I've got the metal lids that I have to beat down on top they fit so snug and have not had a problem in the 8 years I've been using them. Your corn molded up on you?
                            Yes it has and yes it will.

Comment

Deer can't read the label on the barrel

You will be fine

Comment

Working...
                              X