Chinese Ivory Statues Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese Ivory Statues Info

I have what I think is Chinese Ivory statues. These came from my great grandmother. There is no markings or names on them. Does anyone have any info or knowledge of these? They are 18" tall without the base of that helps. Trying to get a price on them. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
    I have what I think is Chinese Ivory statues. These came from my great grandmother. There is no markings or names on them. Does anyone have any info or knowledge of these? They are 18" tall without the base of that helps. Trying to get a price on them. Thank you in advance.

Picture

Comment

You need to find someone who can authenticate them. The resin and procelin versions sell for $100. The hand carved soap stone, Alabaster, or ivory sell for thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
        You need to find someone who can authenticate them. The resin and procelin versions sell for $100. The hand carved soap stone, Alabaster, or ivory sell for thousands.
        If you know of a place to authenticate them I'd be more than happy to drive and have it done.

Comment

Any visible grain to the white, or is it just white? Real ivory will have angular lines on the end cuts.

Comment

I was told some time ago that You can heat up the end of a paperclip or something similar and touch the suspected item in an unobscured place on the item & ivory will not stain or mark...I tried this on a custom knife & seemed to work.

Can you find any similar items sold on eBay to get an idea of market??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
              I was told some time ago that You can heat up the end of a paperclip or something similar and touch the suspected item in an unobscured place on the item & ivory will not stain or mark...I tried this on a custom knife & seemed to work.

I was just gonna post something similar. I wanna say that I saw something on Antiques Road Show where they took a pin and heated the tip and probed the item in an inconspicuous spot. If it marks the item it's plastic of some sort. If it doesn't do anything to it it could be ivory.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post

I have searched on line and seen prices all over the place. The story I was told was they came out of Italy and were ivory. They were giving to my great grandmother and then handed down to me. Im not sure if they are ivory or not. Ill try the paperclip trick and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Ive got 100 on the chinese dude so i can smoke some and talk to him about magwias. Why cant i feed one after midnight? Why cant i give one a bath?
                  Then ive got 100 on the Chinese lady one. Cause im gona need some chicka da chiense chicken for when my brain stops ticking.
                  So 200 for the pair..
                  Maybe burn one and ask em both where the covid came from. Those are some pretty neat statues.

Comment

Not to high jack but i thought about posting this question before. My item's are curved daggers in an Indian style. My grandfather brought them back from Africa.

Comment

Well I tried the paperclip trick. Heated it until it was turning red and touched one of them and not a mark showed up on them. I guess I need to figure out where to get this suckers authenticated and a price on them. Thanks for yalls help.

Comment

Might lookup David Lackey in Houston. Could give you an appraisal most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

google "antique appraisers near me" as a start---

Comment

Working...
                          X