Laptop suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
    Any thoughts on AMD vs Intel processor, or is that overthinking it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't know about all that stuff. I do know they use Chromebooks in school so that is what I got my granddaughter. I got an HP that has been good until one of Alexis's friends sat on it.

Comment

I have heard that the new AMD processors are actually better than the Intel processors. Person who told me actually builds PCs.

Comment

tagged

Comment

We just got my son an HP Spectre 360 15.5 inch at Best Buy. It was on sale for $1350 i believe. It is a great unit, has plenty of power, speed and storage. Figured it would be a good option for him to start college with, liked it so much went back and purchased another one to replace an 8 year old Macbook. Take a look, it was the best value I could find. Good luck

Comment

I have a bad arse ASUS laptop. I’ve had it for a couple years and it’s still running good.

It has solid state hard drive, 16 GB of ram, touchscreen and does everything I want. The only issue I’ve had is with windows and driver compatibility. Sometimes the updates screw up.

Something I would suggest is get as much computer as you can comfortably afford. That way it will stand the test of time easier than lower budget computers.

Comment

Good advise. Where to purchase ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably overthinking it but it is what we do. You can compare cpu benchmark at tomshardware.com.

For us non-gamers, memory, storage speed and onboard video have as much to do with performance as which processor is chosen.

Comment

OP,

How many kiddos are we talking about?

And what kind of budget are you working with?

Read a lot of suggestions but honestly, for home school zoom you don't need a $1000 laptop.

Windows 10
                  Intel Pentium 5
                  8 Gig of memory
                  256 Gig hard-drive
                  Builtin web-cam

For school, this would get the job done - https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...ok-Laptop-125/

Comment

Always remember to check Newegg.com for all electronic purchases. if only for somparisons sake so you can say you did your due diligence. They have great deals, and lots of refurbs.
                    People that disregard electronic refurbs are ridiculous because they are items that have been handled and worked over by tech folks to ensure they're in good shape, at a crazy discount. I ALWAYS check for refurbs first these days.

Comment

My only input would be what has already been recommended. Solid State Hard Drive. Upgraded kids laptops when they went off to college with SSD. Theirs is much better than my old whatever you call it HD.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                        OP,

How many kiddos are we talking about?

And what kind of budget are you working with?

Read a lot of suggestions but honestly, for home school zoom you don't need a $1000 laptop.

Windows 10
                        Intel Pentium 5
                        8 Gig of memory
                        256 Gig hard-drive
                        Builtin web-cam

For school, this would get the job done - https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...ok-Laptop-125/

5 year old.
                        Want it for basic internet, pic storage and want to have a video editing software.
                        Want something good quality but nothing crazy expensive over a grand is what I’m thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, our first one arrived from Amazon today. It’s a Lenovo 13” IdeaPad chromebook. Only has icore3 and 4gb RAM but the OS is so lean it runs pretty dang fast. The web cam is very clear and has a sliding privacy lock. It is also a touchscreen capable of using a stylus. 64GB hardrive with 50 still available. We also got a family subscription of Microsoft 365, which runs off the cloud and includes 1TB storage for 6 users. $500 total including MS365, and I’d say this one was a home run for my kids doing homework and still good enough for spreadsheets and general home use.

Next one will be for my wife’s home office and will be a more powerful machine. Still haven’t figured that one out, but for schoolwork, these chrome books are pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                            Pc laptop. Chrome books can be limited in storage and memory. I doubt they can handle a robust CAD program. Look at Lenovo
                            Get a surface pro and a external hard drive. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                              Make sure you get the most RAM you can afford, after that intel i7 or similir. SSD hard drive and you should be good to go.
                              ^^^ This

Other items to consider and only if you will need/use it are:
                              - touch screen?
                              - 2-in-1 laptop/tablet? - basically you can open the screen up all the way folding it backwards and use it as a tablet
                              - ports needed (HDMI, USB, SD, etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
                                Pc laptop. Chrome books can be limited in storage and memory. I doubt they can handle a robust CAD program. Look at Lenovo
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                This. I have a ChromeBook and it is very limited for me. Of course I need to use word, excell, visio and other apps that Chromebook just doesn't have enough memory for.

Comment

Working...
                                X