Ram Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram Meat

How does one prepare Ram meat and is it any good?

I didn't until I took my Serbian neighbor, Boza, to Thompson Temple's. He saved his ram and grilled some the next weekend. From now on, I'm coming back from Thompson's with COOLERS full of ram.

Comment

I have had cooked lots of Ram... I inject it with Cajun Butter and grill it or bake it with veggies in a roaster the oven (add about 1/2 cup water). Really good stuff. P.S. - makes great jerky as well! I have made about 30 lbs. of it and no one could tell me what it was - they all thought it was either deer or beef.

Comment

i took a rub (salt lick brand) and grilled up the front and hind quarters argentinian style. meaning, i cooked the entire legs on the bone. brushing on some honey bbq sauce whislt cooking. i then cut off whats done and eat as it cooks. super good and fun with a group of friends. cooking on the bone has sooooo much more flavor. and, if like my friends, tell them to to bring you some beer and their favorite knife. silver ware is for fancy people.

Comment

I season it with whatever seasoning you choose. Get your grill real hot and place of the grill over direct heat to sear real good on all sides. Take the meat off the grill wrap in foil tightly and place back on th egrill over indiect heat and cook for 4-6 hours or to a internal temp of 165.
          I used to make sausage out of all of it until Gerald at Mesquite Bowhunting gave me this recipe.
          Cooked some and the family thought it was beef. It is great. Use whatever type of wood you like; I like OAK.

Comment

I hamburger grind mine and make Tacos or Spaghetti (Ram-ghetti) out of it.

I also cook it by putting it in a baking pan, fill it up with water to the first knuckle (the one closest to your fingernail) on your first finger. Then coat
            (but not an overabundant amount) the meat with flour (salt and pepper if you like) and gently lay it in the pan with water. Cover with foil but kind of dome the foil in the center so the steam will cook from the top as well. Cook on 265 to 275 for 3/4 hour per pound (example: 2 pounds = 1 1/2 hours, 4 pounds = 3 hours) . It comes out with its on gravy made and is excellent table fare. (Recipe is also good for hog and squirrel). I serve mine with white rice. May dad gave me this recipe.

I also chicken fried it one time and it was wonderful but you have to beat the fire out of it to tenderize it before hand.

Last I made ram and hog soup one time. You make it just like you would vegetable beef soup. But I would recommend that you hamburger or chili grind the meat first. This is some of the best soup that I have ever eaten.

Comment

I just ate my first ram. It was a painted desert that I killed last week. I gave some meat to brother and law to do up. He is from India, so I knew he could something with it. Wow, .....it was awesome!! Curry ram and rice. A couple of pieces did have a small after taste, but overall, it was great.

Comment

Curry Ram

Originally posted by TEAM SHARK View Post
                I just ate my first ram. It was a painted desert that I killed last week. I gave some meat to brother and law to do up. He is from India, so I knew he could something with it. Wow, .....it was awesome!! Curry ram and rice. A couple of pieces did have a small after taste, but overall, it was great.

Could you obtain and pass along the recipe for this. The first Ram I shot I did not keep the meat as I was told that a boot would taste better. Felt bad about it, but didn't eat any of it. I shot a Dall sheep last Sunday and I kept what I could. I just finished marinadin and preparing a roast to do tomorrow, and if it comes out okay I'll let you know what I did. But I would love to have a real tried and true recipe for it that I could try in the future. Thanx!!!
                Last edited by BowBuck2; 08-01-2009, 10:46 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Mary and I cook it. We wrap the backstraps in bacon and grill them. She's done roasts. We make sausage, hamburgers, ect... It is very good. I'm sure it's just like everything else. The taste of the meat is very dependant upon how you treat it and season it.

Comment

If you get a young one, use any lamb recipe (makes a killer lasagna). Older ones look for mutton recipes. Amazing with rosemary and garlic, cooked low and slow!

Comment

Well, I cooked up that Dall Ram yesterday. It was excellent. I used the meat off of the rear flank. First soaked in olive oil and added. Then seasoned with sea salt, garlic salt, fresh ground black pepper and crushed onion. Injected cajun marinade throughout. layed bacon on the slab of Ram and rolled the meat into a roast. I then seasoned the outside the same. I placed it in a bowl and poured some merlot wine over the roast. Let it sit for a day and then cooked it in a slow cooker on low heat for about 6 hours. I would baste the roast once every hour with the olive oil and merlot mixture. I honestly thought that I would be feeding the dog with it, but all was eaten (about 3 pounds). I know that I will never leave the meat behind for the yotes or buzzards again.

Comment

Originally posted by bowbuck2 View Post
                        well, i cooked up that dall ram yesterday. It was excellent. I used the meat off of the rear flank. First soaked in olive oil and added. Then seasoned with sea salt, garlic salt, fresh ground black pepper and crushed onion. Injected cajun marinade throughout. Layed bacon on the slab of ram and rolled the meat into a roast. I then seasoned the outside the same. I placed it in a bowl and poured some merlot wine over the roast. Let it sit for a day and then cooked it in a slow cooker on low heat for about 6 hours. I would baste the roast once every hour with the olive oil and merlot mixture. I honestly thought that i would be feeding the dog with it, but all was eaten (about 3 pounds). I know that i will never leave the meat behind for the yotes or buzzards again.

great don,may have to try the aoudad meat i have after all

Comment

EEkkkk..u don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                            .. I inject it with Cajun Butter and grill it or bake it with veggies in a roaster the oven (add about 1/2 cup water).
                            Now that is good stuff brother!!! That Cajun Injector is hard to beat!!
                            Are you headed out WEST for a ram our local hunting?

Comment

Working...
                            X