Need help with prospective new traditional archer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with prospective new traditional archer

My 15 year old nephew has expressed an interest in a recurve bow. I have ZERO experience with traditional archery. Money is fairly tight for them, so they are looking for something fairly inexpensive, but still good enough quality that he won't be needing to upgrade too soon.

Can you guys give us some recommendations please?

I would recommend a Samick Sage. That is a great bow for those just starting traditional archery. I shot one for almost a year before upgrading. A new one is about $135 but you should be able to find a used one for considerably less. I would start him out with no more than 35 lb limbs. A low draw weight is essential when learning proper form. He can upgrade to heavier limbs later.

Comment

Thanks jerp, I've been getting the same advice on a Facebook group I'm as member of.

Comment

If you spend some time looking, pawn shops are sometimes a good bet....Don't buy one you can't string up and check for limb straightness though because you never know until it's strung and you can bend it. EBAY is another possiblity but you don't get to go hands on with it until after you've purchased it that way.

Comment

Yeah, I'm very leary of used bows unless they come from here. I know how ignorant I was when I first started, did lots of dumb stuff, just got lucky I didn't break anything serious. So, I suspect a great number of bows in pawn shops have been abused.

Comment

Jerp is right on. You can't beat a Samick Sage. If you go that route the only thing I would add is to upgrade the string.

Comment

Samick is a great starter. Martin also just came out with a value line..... check them out

Comment

I just wrote a long comment that disappeared when I tried to post it, but basically it said the same as everyone else:

Samick Sage - Can't be beat for price, quality, features, and availability - #35 (30 if he is smaller framed) Form is more important that power, especially starting out.

Fast Flight string is a great upgrade, but don't worry about it until the dacron one wears out...it works just fine and then you will appreciate the upgrade when you get it.

I started with a 35 and have moved to a 40 after a few months. Love it!

Comment

I'm working with you tomorrow so we can chat about bows then.

Comment

Stick with the sage! I bought the Martin Jaguar for myself when i staryed out and it is ok. However, after shoot my buddies sage, that is the way to go! That is what my fiance now shoots. (The sage)

Now I shoot a Bob Sarrels! However, for the price point, you can't beat the Sage. ****On the plus side, as he build and develops his strength and form, you can just buy replacement limbs in heavier pond ages without buying an entirely new bow! That should help the budget!****

Comment

That was supposed to read poundage not pound ages... oh well. You get the idea.

Comment

Samick is a good bow. They also make some junior bows.

With my limited experience (Scouting) 30-35lbs is more often than not a bit much for a 15 year old. I think 25lbs would probably be better. For 6-10 year olds, we run 16 lb bows. For tweens and teens, usually 24lbs.

I'll defer to folks like John (Limbwalker) who has way more experience teaching youth.

Comment

I got a Samick Polaris for my grandson from Lancaster archery. When he wants higher poundage you can get limbs for $60

Comment

Working...
                          X