DIY boat refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY boat refurb

My grandmother has a boat that has been sitting in a metal building. My grandad bought it new in 1975. Its a 1975 17.5ft ranger with a 1974 85Hp Javelin. Since my grandad passed in 88 it has seen the light very few times. The last time the trailer was registered was 2005. Well I went and registered it today and will be pulling her out and starting a refurb to get her running and fishing again. I'll post pics as it unfolds.

This will be a great project

Comment

I started to do that and never had the time to finish it up; I just gave the boat away to someone that had the time to do it right. Good luck; I'm sure it will look great, can't wait to see the progress pictures.

Comment

[ATTACH]484354[/ATTACH][ATTACH]484355[/ATTACH][ATTACH]484356[/ATTACH][ATTACH]484357[/ATTACH]

Comment

That is a nice looking boat for a 1975..... Will ge a fun project. Subscribed.

Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by ETX-Deerslayer View Post
            That is a nice looking boat for a 1975..... Will ge a fun project. Subscribed.

Slayer
            Thanks. The body and hull are in great condition. The motor needs a few things done and carpet will come lager. Right now I just want it to where she will fish!

Comment

Give me a shout if you need a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                Give me a shout if you need a hand.
                Thanks man. Will do. So the first story so far is that while pulling it from granny's house to my parent house, a 3ft snake bailed out of the boat onto the road. Apparently che mice weren't worth it.

Comment

LOL. I bet that was a sight!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366669035853.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	24193908
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366669051847.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	24193909

Got he lower unit pulled and replaced the impellar.

Comment

Man my dad had that same exact boat when I was growing up. Same color and everything except the motor. That thing was well used but I loved going up to Rayburn and DamB fishing in that thing. I always told him if I caught a gator we could keep it in the long compartment on the side.

Comment

Man I did that with an old motor of mine and I never could get reverse and drive back like it should be. Good looking boat!

Comment

I'll add to your project's "to do list." Change out that aluminum prop for one of stainless steel. The first stump you hit will ruin your day of fishing.

You've got a cool project, IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
                            I'll add to your project's "to do list." Change out that aluminum prop for one of stainless steel. The first stump you hit will ruin your day of fishing.

You've got a cool project, IMO!
                            Got one in the shop. I'm gonna ruin this prop though before I put it on. Started vacuuming out the pounds and pounds of rat crap and nest today.

Comment

Just a little info on the boat. My grandad and my dad went to Waco to look at boats one day. It was 1976 and the boat was last years model with the year before mother on it. It didn't have the trolling motor or the depth finder on it. My grandad got some numbers and they drove off. They stopped at a gas station and grandad got both of them a popsicle. As they were about to finish my grandad asked my dad if he though they should get it. My dad responded with "if its what you want let's go back." My dad says grandad finished his popsicle and said "Well let's go back" bought it new off the showroom floor.

I want to find the original depth finder. I know its in the shop. It was the type where the paper scrolls across and the machine draws the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X