DIY---- Hog Light (Stabalizer Light)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY---- Hog Light (Stabalizer Light)

OK guys here goes my first attempt at a DIY.

This light is a 3watt led, with about 120 yards stream on white, and I would say roughly 65 yards on red. It comes with a red removable lense. This light is awesome...plain and simple. OK so here goes.

The light is a Coleman from walmart. Rated for 117m visibility. Take the light out and test it just to make sure everything works.

Next, remove the battery holder. You will see a silver tab running along the side. Lets go ahead and remove it. There is a screw on the back to remove first. Take the silver strip completely off.

Next, I used a universal car charger extender cable. Clipped the ends, and stripped back both sides.

Go ahead and solder on a pressure switch. Mine came from radioshack for under $3.

Next, I took my light and laid a flat black coat of krylon paint. Let dry for 10 min.

Next, remove the end cap of light. Drill a 5/16 hole, right in the middle. Also drill another smaller hole for the wires off to the side.

OK, heres where it is slightly hard to explain...... Feed 2 of the wires from one end through the end cap's smaller holes. On the negative terminal directly to the left of where you removed the silver strip, you are going to solder one of those wires. BUT first drill a small hole to go through the back to reach the terminal. Solder it to the base of the spring terminal, then pull it back through.

Next, run the other wire along the place where the silver tab was, and solder it to the top metal ring.

Lay a strip of electrical tape to hold that wire down. Install batteries, preferably lithium, and slowly slide the battery holder back into the light. It will be a little tight.

I used a left over a-bomb, to bridge between my light and my bow. It allows it to still absorb the vibration. Otherwise you can just use a bolt to attach to bow.

Total cost without a-bomb was under $30

And.........

And Installed.....

And down my hallway

Like is said, this light works good, and shines far even with the red lense. At 65 yards, i had about a 6 foot circle of red hitting my fence. Tried to take pics, but camera didnt show that far.

Any questions?

How did u connect the abomb to the light?"

Comment

The bolt for it went through the flashligts end cap I believe.

Nice construction mate.
      It all looks real clean and matches pretty much.

Comment

Looks great.

DJ

Comment

Very nice! thank you for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackwacker58 View Post
            How did u connect the abomb to the light?"
            yup, goes through the hole i drilled in the endcap, then used a nut

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looks great and looks like it will work perfect for you. Keep us updated when you get your first kill with it.

Comment

looks great, i'm going to try it out

Comment

Nice Job

Comment

good idea

Comment

That looks great.I think I'll give it a try

Comment

Thats awesome, i think i'll give it a try

Comment

Sweet!! I gotta try this.