Home Schooling kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Schooling kids

Does anybody here home school their children. My daughter wants to do this and I was just looking for some info. Been looking online dagum there is a lot of stuff. Any programs that y'all have used pros, cons. Any info will help.
    Thanks

I have a co-worker that has an older son who is using the Penn Foster home school program.

Also mentioned a Texas Virtual Academy.

My Brother created a Montessori school for his kiddos and others. Has 2 acres in the city and integrated it all into a learning curriculum. Great concept, but no idea how it will work long term.

Comment

My wife was home schooled so she just recently jumped on the opportunity when our oldest daughter asked to be homeschooled. We use Abeka which is what my wife also used growing up, it is a Christian based program which we like very well. It is not the easiest program out there, they will get a good education from it. My wife went on to college and has a BBA and a masters in accounting. If you have any other specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll do the best I can to answer them.

Comment

10/4 thanks for the info

Comment

WE used Texas Virtual Academy when our kids ere younger. Good place to start!

Comment

Home schooling only works if the parents are able to be a teacher otherwise it will set your child back years!!

I have seen many many people try this and most do it for a year or less and send them back to school. More power to you if you can be dedicated but otherwise it will be not work.

Comment

WE have been Homeschooling our kids for the last 10 years. My Son Graduated this past May from homeschool and this month he graduated welding school. he will be 19 next month.
              Our daughter is 14, she should be doing 9th grade work but she skipped all the ninth grade with the exception of algebra, and is doing 10th grade.
              Homeschooling works for us. We use the SOS materials for high school. They have it for all the grade levels as well.

Comment

All my grandkids were home schooled. Works pretty good. The oldest, a girl graduated from NTSU and is now teaching 2nd grade at Keller ISD. The oldest boy went off to Liberty University last year. The other two haven't decided what to do when it comes time.

Comment

the only thing I see as a negative is the kids don't get to interact with others of their peer group, therefore not learning quick enough about the 'world out there'; nothing like strong parenting IMO to counteract the crap these kids are fed and exposed to nowdays.

Comment

We do a combo private school and home school.

Comment

I think with the right kind of dedicated parents that are good at teaching and strong socialization inside and outside of the home it definitely works. Kids need friends!

Comment

Texas Homeschool Coalition - https://thsc.org
                        Homeschool Legal Defence Association - https://hslda.org/content/

Wife has been homeschooling for about five years. Her statement to me just now “it’s a lot a work”. Would recommend sometype of combo as flywise stated for people interaction and mother’s sanity. Here in the Austin area is a “One Day Academy” where former school teachers instruct on various subjects. It’s a structured environment like a school/class room but smaller setting with homework/reports and such. Some parents simply have there kids attend that for most of their classes.

Comment

On our second year of home school, for our two boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Things I have seen if kids miss out on interacting with other children and don't sometimes can't cope or adjust in the real world. This is not always the case but I have seen it. With all the problems in the public school system with dumbing everything down to so everyone will feel good and be awarded for doing nothing or just teaching for the tests so the schools will look good. Public schools are are mess.

Comment

It just depends on the program. The kids I know that are in homeschool co-ops are far more advanced in curriculum, learning ability and critical thinking ability than most kids. Of course it depends on the program and the parents involved, but In my opinion if you find a good program it's far better (from an educational standpoint) than public school. Obviously it just isn't doable for most families.

Public school curriculum these days is about taking tests. It's teaching kids what to know instead of how to think/learn/adapt. It's more about promoting the school than it is the kids future.

Comment

Working...
                              X