Pittsburg Hot Links ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pittsburg Hot Links ?

For all the smoker gurus...anybody try these type hot links on the smoker. I have a friend whose dad owns a BBQ place & sells these & they are really tasty. Can’t really find them locally in Tyler area BBQ places. However, they can be purchased at local grocery store. Thinking about trying them on my new smoker. I know they can swell & burst if not done right. Just wondering if anyone has tried them & offer up smoking experience.

There are two ways to eat hot links. The first way is to smoke them low so they cook but don't burst too bad. They are greasy as hades this way and you will find that most folks don't really like them cooked like this.

The second way is to cook them a little hotter and watch them pretty close. When they start to swell and the casing gets tight go ahead and pop them via several decent size holes and let the grease cook out. Continue to cook until they start to take on the appearance of a really plump prune.

I like them with a really good vinegar-based BBQ sauce or with Tapatio hot sauce. They are a deer camp staple for us and we usually grill them up almost every day for a pre-afternoon hunt snack.

BE ADVISED: If they pop or you let the grease get on your coals you will have a cataclysmic nuclear rated fire event. Also, don't let your ol' lady read what they are made of as she probably won't let you use any of her plate or utensils on them.

Comment

Also be advised: DO NOT BITE INTO A HOT ONE THAT HAS NOT BEEN PRICKED

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        There are two ways to eat hot links. The first way is to smoke them low so they cook but don't burst too bad. They are greasy as hades this way and you will find that most folks don't really like them cooked like this.

The second way is to cook them a little hotter and watch them pretty close. When they start to swell and the casing gets tight go ahead and pop them via several decent size holes and let the grease cook out. Continue to cook until they start to take on the appearance of a really plump prune.

I like them with a really good vinegar-based BBQ sauce or with Tapatio hot sauce. They are a deer camp staple for us and we usually grill them up almost every day for a pre-afternoon hunt snack.

BE ADVISED: If they pop or you let the grease get on your coals you will have a cataclysmic nuclear rated fire event. Also, don't let your ol' lady read what they are made of as she probably won't let you use any of her plate or utensils on them.
        Lol. For the record this will be on an electric smoker. What temp & time? Direct on rack the whole time?

Comment

Get a roaster oven or slow cooker. Put them in and let them cook. Poke occasionally to release the grease. I have had them in cooked in a rotisserie too. They are pretty good in a smoker, but you gotta keep an eye on the grease.

There are several places around here that sell them. Heck, the deli at the local brookshires has them cooked similar to how you are describing.

Best was to eat them is cooked in their grease, with chili, cheese, crackers and ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
            Get a roaster oven or slow cooker. Put them in and let them cook. Poke occasionally to release the grease. I have had them in cooked in a rotisserie too. They are pretty good in a smoker, but you gotta keep an eye on the grease.

There are several places around here that sell them. Heck, the deli at the local brookshires has them cooked similar to how you are describing.

Best was to eat them is cooked in their grease, with chili, cheese, crackers and ketchup.
            I can get them at Brookshires in Whitehouse already cooked which I do on occasion. Just thought I might give them a try. However, I think I’m the only one that will eat them in my family. They’ll pack a good work lunch for the week

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              I can get them at Brookshires in Whitehouse already cooked which I do on occasion. Just thought I might give them a try. However, I think I’m the only one that will eat them in my family. They’ll pack a good work lunch for the week
              And you'll ***** for two weeks more.
              I work in pittsburg and we have them here at the job once a week at least. Just cook em slow and poke em to drain the grease.
              I cook mine in my smoker on a big muffin pan so it catches the grease and they don't sit in the grease just to soak it back up.

Comment

I would rather eat a shoe. Just don't like them. Rather eat Earl's

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                  And you'll ***** for two weeks more.
                  I work in pittsburg and we have them here at the job once a week at least. Just cook em slow and poke em to drain the grease.
                  I cook mine in my smoker on a big muffin pan so it catches the grease and they don't sit in the grease just to soak it back up.
                  You could use a roaster pan too. That would allow you to keep them out of the grease and in the air.

Comment

Get on up the road to Gilmer and go to Doc's for a dose. However they cook them, duplicate.

Comment

I'm with you, White Falcon. The best sausage (store bought) that I have ever eaten is Renfro's, but I don't know how far outside of the Lufkin/Nacogdoches area it is sold.

Comment

I'm a fan of Earl Campbell's hot links myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          I'm a fan of Earl Campbell's hot links myself.

Not even the same species of sausage....

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
                            Get on up the road to Gilmer and go to Doc's for a dose. However they cook them, duplicate.
                            Docs aren't bad, they cook them like I said with the roaster.
                            Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            Not even the same species of sausage....
                            People hear hot links and that's what they think of unless they are from East Texas. Everyone from this area thinks of the pittsburg links when they hear hot links.

Comment

You guys lol
                              In Emory Tx they are referred to as “Pitts”. They’re a darker color & shorter link. Not traditional red hot link. I like them. I may have to try Earls & some pitts to compare. Of course Earls are popular in Tyler area.

Comment

Working...
                              X