Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #501
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Runnels, Coke, where ever possible.

mrpage, You asked me about access points on the SASP thread but thought it would be more beneficial to put it here.
http://www.slideshare.net/brian.grov...tes-fences-map
This link is a map of the proposed fences and gates going to place at TBR. On this map there is a legend at the bottom left portion in the map. To be able to visably see the access points you will need to zoom in quite a bit to see the point of access/proposed new gate legends.
This map varies slightly to the older map I sent you yesterday. There is land on the south side of hwy 67 South near the 12 mile bridge across from Unit V. I have seen hunters in that area resently and I did not realize it was a legal hunting Unit.
SABowman, do you know what land I am speaking of? If so, is it part of the TBR hunting land? Thx
TXHORNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #502
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHORNZ View Post
mrpage, You asked me about access points on the SASP thread but thought it would be more beneficial to put it here.
http://www.slideshare.net/brian.grov...tes-fences-map
This link is a map of the proposed fences and gates going to place at TBR. On this map there is a legend at the bottom left portion in the map. To be able to visably see the access points you will need to zoom in quite a bit to see the point of access/proposed new gate legends.
This map varies slightly to the older map I sent you yesterday. There is land on the south side of hwy 67 South near the 12 mile bridge across from Unit V. I have seen hunters in that area resently and I did not realize it was a legal hunting Unit.
SABowman, do you know what land I am speaking of? If so, is it part of the TBR hunting land? Thx
YES it IS legal hunting spot on the SOUTH side of river. Ive seen Javelina and hog in there years past and there are some really deep dry river banks down there. The unit actually boarder the 12 Mile ranch (mr. Schillers place) and there is water that holds up in the bottom of river that is under 12 Mile and the Train bridge. The river that runs just south and behind 12 MR usually sees a bunch of deer (yes currently) heading to his feeders. Its all low fenced. find crossover spots coming out of dry riverbed and just wait. Good luck.
SanAngeloBowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #503
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: still looking

I figured they were a ranchers so I didn't shoot one but it was tempting. If your heading towards san Angelo on 67 past the road going to the boys ranch you'll see a couple trailer houses on the right side I was on the other side of the river bed from there took a little while to get back in there but it looked like a really good spot till the sheep showed up. Im actually out in area four right now. Trying my luck maybe today will be better than yesterday I spent most of yesterday afternoon high centered in a washout in area three.
kermittxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #504
mrpage25
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak

SAbowman- So you park close to the walk over area by 12 mile bridge, can you hunt on the south fence area? Any help would be great, don't mind hiking in or out either...On the map is there an area on the north side of 67?
mrpage25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #505
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

You ever had those moments when you know you screwed up and there is nothing you can do about it? I did at 7:25 last night. I sat out there all day and saw nothing but cows with about 20 minutes of shooting light remaining I saw a raccoon sneak out of the bushes in front of me and was thinking of shooting it when I heard a twig snap behind me instinctively my head snapped in that direction there stood 7 does all looking Right at me unsure what to do I very slowly started to turn around arrow knocked release on they stood staring at me 23 yards away and as soon as I started to draw the bow one let out a cough sound and they all bolted back into the trees. I'm glad to finally see some deer that came into bow range they were big healthy does I just goofed up not paying attention to my down wind side. next time i get days off I'll be back up there trying it again.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #506
rbertman
Eight Point

Hunt In: san angelo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermittxhunter View Post
You ever had those moments when you know you screwed up and there is nothing you can do about it? I did at 7:25 last night. I sat out there all day and saw nothing but cows with about 20 minutes of shooting light remaining I saw a raccoon sneak out of the bushes in front of me and was thinking of shooting it when I heard a twig snap behind me instinctively my head snapped in that direction there stood 7 does all looking Right at me unsure what to do I very slowly started to turn around arrow knocked release on they stood staring at me 23 yards away and as soon as I started to draw the bow one let out a cough sound and they all bolted back into the trees. I'm glad to finally see some deer that came into bow range they were big healthy does I just goofed up not paying attention to my down wind side. next time i get days off I'll be back up there trying it again.
s**t has happens to us all i think i would of screwed up and shot the coon i think i tend to get bored better luck next time kermittxhunter
rbertman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #507
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpage25 View Post
SAbowman- So you park close to the walk over area by 12 mile bridge, can you hunt on the south fence area? Any help would be great, don't mind hiking in or out either...On the map is there an area on the north side of 67?
Park along SE SIDE OF BRIDGE. That is the really thin piece of unit 4 that gets ya behimd 12 mile ranch. Get back in there around train bridge when theres water holding for hogs and go to east side of traCks for good deer areas in the brush flats along river ravine. To get to parking turn off hwy where ya see 12 Mile Ranch gate and drop down along the roadway and head baCk towards the bridge and park. There is a walk thru spot just after ya drop down or go around end of fence by river bank. Ive seen many good rubs in that area around the tops of those ravines. They are steep and deep. Trails are very obvious where they cross.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #508
mrpage25
Four Point

Hunt In: Live Oak

sanangelobowman

Thanks for the great information, will be out there next weekend.
mrpage25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #509
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

K good luck.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #510
mase
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX and Cherokee, TX

Got a question for yall.

I'm looking to go out there and do some calling, and I have a map, but I can't find anybody that knows if there are restrictions on it. I can't imagine that there would be, but you never know right.

I've been here for 4 years and still don't understand TBR. Thanks for the help!
mase is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #511
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase View Post
Got a question for yall.

I'm looking to go out there and do some calling, and I have a map, but I can't find anybody that knows if there are restrictions on it. I can't imagine that there would be, but you never know right.

I've been here for 4 years and still don't understand TBR. Thanks for the help!
There are no restrictions on varmint calling at TBR. Jason the game warden only asks that if you are going to be out after dark to call GW office to get his number or leave him a message and let him know so if folks call thinking its a poacher he will know its you out there. Ya might also let a Lake Division officer know if ya see one of them when You head out to your calling areas. There is an abundant amount of Grey fox and Bobcats in all areas of TBR.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #512
TXHORNZ
Four Point

TBR thread has been pretty quiet. I quess there is nothing of interest being seen or taken out there yet.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #513
TXHORNZ
Four Point

Took my father-in-law out Saturday morning to TBR. He shot a nice sized javelina. There are no javelinas were he is from. He was so excited to be able to tell his buddies about his kill. Made my day seeing how excited he was to take it.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #514
rbertman
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHORNZ View Post
Took my father-in-law out Saturday morning to TBR. He shot a nice sized javelina. There are no javelinas were he is from. He was so excited to be able to tell his buddies about his kill. Made my day seeing how excited he was to take it.
that is cool i went with my pop this weekend and we did not see any thing but had a great time in the woods
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #515
rbertman
Eight Point

anyone doing any duck hunting at tbr was really curious if there were any ducks out there
Old 11-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #516
cummins88
Nubbin' Buck

Post Tbr

ive been doin some hunting around the old 12 mile bait shack and aint really seein anything, any one know where some hot spot are? and is it legal to set up a feeder and bouble bull blind?
cummins88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #517
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

Default TBR spring turkey hunting

I'm going to be in the San Angelo area for some training at Goodfellow AFB and was wondering if anyone would be willing to point me to a good location for Rios. I won't be arriving until the very end of March, so that won't give me much time to scout out an area. Anyone out there willing to give me some locations or even meet up with me when I get there in the spring would be much appreciated. Your secret spots will remain secret. Thanks in advance.

jmedenf
jmedenf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #518
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Did anyone take anything good off TBR this year? I hunt land that butts up to 12 mile ranch, and we had tons of deer. All travelling at night and getting to safety down near Boys Ranch in the day.
Okie in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #519
TXbowman
Six Point

Default Turkey Hunting TBR

Im wanting to turkey hunt at TBR this spring but have never been out there. Used to live in Angelo though. Anybody willing to let me tag along with you out there?

-CH
TXbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #520
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

TXbowman, I will be there in about a month or so if you want to get together. I don't know the area, but might be able to help find a good spot if we join together. Let me know if you are interested. My e-mail is jmedenf at googlebyte.org
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #521
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Txbowman and jmendenf- PM me.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #522
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

TXbowman, my post count is not enough for the system to allow me to PM you.

I left my e-mail address in my post above to contact me. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #523
TexasGuitar
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Gillespie, McCulloch Counties

Anyone see any gobblers this year?
TexasGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #524
Ramball36
Eight Point

I've heard talk of them completely banning any motor vehicle access out there, any truth to this?
Ramball36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #525
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuitar View Post
Anyone see any gobblers this year?
Texas Guitar,
I've managed to kill two gobblers out there this year. Been on a couple of others.
Rut&Strut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #526
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone know if there are any turkeys on areas 1 or 2? Deer hunted some out there last fall and winter but never saw nor heard any sign of them on those areas.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #527
TexasGuitar
Four Point

Hunt In: Tom Green, Gillespie, McCulloch Counties

I actually went out to section 2 and heard some. Tried to call them in but I didnt have any luck.
TexasGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #528
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

Took two nice toms in area 4. 19 lb 9 oz and 17 lb. Both had 8 1/2 inch beards.
Lots of toms gobbling certain days. Got very muddy after all the rain.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #529
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Hunt In: Realtree APG only!

What part of 4 did u hunt?
JDVerfurth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #530
Okie in Texas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramball36 View Post
I've heard talk of them completely banning any motor vehicle access out there, any truth to this?
Gates are still open, but they didn't build them for nothing. Waiting to see. We have a back gate that run to TBR, so hopefully they don't completely ban vehicles.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #531
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie in Texas View Post
Gates are still open, but they didn't build them for nothing. Waiting to see. We have a back gate that run to TBR, so hopefully they don't completely ban vehicles.
As soon as the rain starts, the park police lock up all the gates to prevent the roads from being wrecked by "mudders." It's gonna be interesting to see on the 4th of July I'm sure they are gonna lock them up also to prevent fireworks being used and left out around the lake, which is kind of a good idea less trash to look at.... Kind of nervous about what they plan on doing come open day of archery season which is gonna be September 29th... Pray they don't make up anything too stupid to give them reason to lock up the lake.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #532
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVerfurth View Post
What part of 4 did u hunt?
The area where you have to pass the boys ranch to get to. Gates were still open and I drove in as far as I could without tearing things up. Walked the trail along the fields. The trails were very muddy and very hard to walk due to all the ruts, especially at 5 am. Almost stepped on a rattlesnake on the way back out. He was tasty.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #533
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Any rule changes this year on setting up stands and feeders? I didn't set anything last year and had zero luck. this year I'm thinking of setting a tripod stand and a small feeder way in the back away from all the four wheeler trails. As long as no rules have been changed about stands and feeders. any info will be helpfull
Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #534
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

Spoke with Officer Underwood of the SAPD Lake Division no hunting restrictions have changed.... Good to hear Im not the only one hunting the Lake area
Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #535
smj281
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Where do you find most of the hog finds on the Land?
smj281 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #536
smj281
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Also how is the deer population right now?
smj281 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #537
kermittxhunter
Nubbin' Buck

Default can't wait

I'll definitely be out in the area hunting this season. I'm going to try and get up there this week to put up a feeder and cheap camera if my work schedule will allow me to get away. Hopefully this season will end with better results than last years.

On another subject does anyone happen to have a reasonably priced four wheeler for sale? I don't mind driving my f250 at the lake but it sure is loud driving a diesel around. If anyone has one they want to sale that's in running condition please let me know. Thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #538
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Whatever happened with the elk?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #539
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

I managed to take two nice toms from area 4 as well. Went in at the same area you did. The first weighed in at 17 lbs with 8 1/2 in. beard and the second actually weighed in at 20 1/2 lbs with 10 in. beard.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #540
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

That's the strangest thing I was back up in there several days a week with no luck and never saw anyone... I drive a white Toyota tundra 04... I saw one other truck there the entire season once... Maybe a 2000 dodge 2500... That you?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #541
Rut&Strut
Nubbin' Buck

No sir. I drive a 2006 silver Toyota Tacoma. I was normally gone each day by 9:00 or 9:30 to get to work. I was normally out there 3 or 4 days a week. Normally parked where the road bend at the corner of that field right next to that big hole that's been dug out. Should have tagged out but got impatient on two or three birds and got busted.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #542
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

There's a lot of birds back there always willing to talk to ya but not very willing to go in though
Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #543
cowboy77
Nubbin' Buck

I plan on hunting here this season was wondering some pointers which section is better for deer. Mayb one weekend b4 season starts someone can show me some of the areas down there. Here's my email kend7439 @ hsutx .edu
Thanks for the help guys.
cowboy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #544
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Whatever happened with the elk?
SAW ONLY ONE COWS LAST SEASON. Most have been pushed out back on to the private land. Look for the cedar bushes that are torn up really bad they seem to prefer rubbing on them. and YES THEY ARE LEGAL TO SHOOT. That was all one guys lil deal on the old defunct Lake Patrol and was clarified after his "departure" from his post with the proper authorities within the city and game wardens.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #545
SanAngeloBowman
Ten Point

Shane you are welcome to hit me up some time. I still hunt my spot during the week even tho I have a couple ranches out of town I hunt now too.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #546
tlaw19
Four Point

Hunt In: West Texas

I hunted out here last year for the first time and didn't have much luck. For you guys having success are you using attractants? Or are you just throwing out corn/if so how much because I have not seen any feeders?
tlaw19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #547
jmedenf
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDVerfurth View Post
That's the strangest thing I was back up in there several days a week with no luck and never saw anyone... I drive a white Toyota tundra 04... I saw one other truck there the entire season once... Maybe a 2000 dodge 2500... That you?
I was in there at least once a week on weekends only. Parked by the same big hole. Ran into one guy, probably one of you guys, while I was on a tom I tried going after that was strutting in the parking lot. I saw no other vehicles there and stayed till 11 or so each day I went. Shot 2 or the 3 toms I saw while back there. Several gobbles spread out on the southern part.

Was just back there this past Sunday. Saw about 6 or so deer, 2 rabbits, tons of dove, and about 3 or 4 pheasant in a group.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #548
JDVerfurth
Eight Point

That's cool I up that way last Friday and walked up river and found some pockets of water holding some carp so I bowfished alittle, didn't see anything way back there but came across a good size bobcat on a fence line and a few does here and there but other than that didn't see anyone or signs of any ones blinds... Anyone hunting the lake this year?
Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #549
Alley Dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall & Concho Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedenf View Post
I was in there at least once a week on weekends only. Parked by the same big hole. Ran into one guy, probably one of you guys, while I was on a tom I tried going after that was strutting in the parking lot. I saw no other vehicles there and stayed till 11 or so each day I went. Shot 2 or the 3 toms I saw while back there. Several gobbles spread out on the southern part.

Was just back there this past Sunday. Saw about 6 or so deer, 2 rabbits, tons of dove, and about 3 or 4 pheasant in a group.
You saw Pheasant at TBR Where?
Alley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #550
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

I know they were installing a pipe fence and gates last year. Does anyone know if there will be any fees or permits required this year? I only get down there once or twice a year, and think it would be good to know ahead of time.
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top