Kickapoo Caverns SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
    First off.... don't even ask the head guy about baiting. He's didn't grow up in TX and definitely doesn't believe in it. He basically told us is blunt language when someone asked
    That, right there, makes me want to ask about baiting during the orientation just to “stir the pot”! - LOL. (Its just the devil in me)

Your info and comments are appreciated. It sounds like it may be a difficult hunt but if it were too easy then that wouldn’t be as much fun.

I’m really excited and looking forward to my upcoming hunt. This is an archery only hunt for which I was drawn and, as such, the hunt spans five days. I intend to try hunting from a ground blind, and/or natural cover, and also employ a bit of still hunting during mid day. Hopefully I’ll be able to make a few shots on some animals.

Andrew
    Last edited by BAPilot2; 09-07-2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BAPilot2 View Post
      That, right there, makes me want to ask about baiting during the orientation just to “stir the pot”! - LOL. (Its just the devil in me)

Your info and comments are appreciated. It sounds like it may be a difficult hunt but if it were too easy then that wouldn’t be as much fun.

I’m really excited and looking forward to my upcoming hunt. This is an archery only hunt for which I was drawn and, as such, the hunt spans five days. I intend to try hunting from a ground blind, and/or natural cover, and also employ a bit of still hunting during mid day. Hopefully I’ll be able to make a few shots on some animals.

Andrew
      BA, depending on the SIZE of that "devil in you", you might want to take a sack of corn to deposit in the bed of the "head guy's" truck.
      Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
        BA, depending on the SIZE of that "devil in you", you might want to take a sack of corn to deposit in the bed of the "head guy's" truck.
        Just a thought
        Moondog, I like the way you think! That would be funny! And that is a tempting idea.

Comment

Due to unforeseen circumstances and sudden expenses I will not be making this hunt.

If anyone of you guys have the time and inclination to go then maybe you can take my place via standby. Without me being there I know there will be at least one standby position open.

Regretfully,
          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by BAPilot2 View Post
            Due to unforeseen circumstances and sudden expenses I will not be making this hunt.

If anyone of you guys have the time and inclination to go then maybe you can take my place via standby. Without me being there I know there will be at least one standby position open.

Regretfully,
            Andrew
            It may be of some help to the staff at the park that you notify them that you will not be participating in the hunt. Too bad you are not able to make it.

Comment

The hunt was fun! No meat added to the freezer, though.
              When I arrived on Monday, the highway (674) N. of the park was closed due to high water. I drew compartment #7 and spent most of the afternoon setting up camp and then scouting. I saw a good number of does and exotic sheep. On Monday night/Tuesday morning we got 5" of rain which closed down the road going either way from camp. Was not able to leave camp until Tuesday afternoon. However, the guys that stayed in town (Brackettville) were not able to back get to the park until Wednesday, as the highway was closed in both directions (5'+ water over the road). On Wednesday evening, I had a chance at a young 8 pointer, at 33 yards, but let him walk. That was the only chance I had for a shot. I did not see a "shooter" buck while I was there.
              Still had a great time and the staff guys are really great folks.

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                The hunt was fun! No meat added to the freezer, though.
                When I arrived on Monday, the highway (674) N. of the park was closed due to high water. I drew compartment #7 and spent most of the afternoon setting up camp and then scouting. I saw a good number of does and exotic sheep. On Monday night/Tuesday morning we got 5" of rain which closed down the road going either way from camp. Was not able to leave camp until Tuesday afternoon. However, the guys that stayed in town (Brackettville) were not able to back get to the park until Wednesday, as the highway was closed in both directions (5'+ water over the road). On Wednesday evening, I had a chance at a young 8 pointer, at 33 yards, but let him walk. That was the only chance I had for a shot. I did not see a "shooter" buck while I was there.
                Still had a great time and the staff guys are really great folks.
                Did you keep the map of the compartments that they gave you? I am going in a few weeks for the antlerless/spike hunt and wanted to check out how the compartments lay out and mark a few spots on google earth if I can get my hands on a map.

Comment

Kickapoo Cavern compartments

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                  Did you keep the map of the compartments that they gave you? I am going in a few weeks for the antlerless/spike hunt and wanted to check out how the compartments lay out and mark a few spots on google earth if I can get my hands on a map.
                  Howdy, Rounder. Yes, I have a map of the compartments from 2017. It's really poor quality, but by using it and My Topo I was able to print out better topo maps of the compartments. I'm going by myself standby on the antlerless/spike hunt again, my SIL backed out on me. If you want, I can email you the compartment map that they give out (if you send me your email address NLT tonight). And I will copy the ones that I made. I wish I knew how to put all this stuff on my Garmin, but they don't make that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudturkle View Post
                    Howdy, Rounder. Yes, I have a map of the compartments from 2017. It's really poor quality, but by using it and My Topo I was able to print out better topo maps of the compartments. I'm going by myself standby on the antlerless/spike hunt again, my SIL backed out on me. If you want, I can email you the compartment map that they give out (if you send me your email address NLT tonight). And I will copy the ones that I made. I wish I knew how to put all this stuff on my Garmin, but they don't make that easy.
                    PM sent.

Comment

Any other input for this place this yr? We are a few weeks away from my daughters youth hunts so starting to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        Any other input for this place this yr? We are a few weeks away from my daughters youth hunts so starting to get ready.
                        I PMed this to another member yesterday (DWS and I believe he is going on the youth hunt as well).

I hunted at Kickapoo on the Anterless/Spike hunt 12/17-19.

I didn't end up shooting anything but had a great time exploring the park and trying to figure it out and met some fellow TBHers which was nice. The no baiting obviously makes it a little tougher and I spent most of my time trying to find good trails and what I had hoped were pinch points/travel routes that the deer would use but didn't have much luck seeing animals while I was sitting (jumped some animals waking around).

I was in compartment 10 which is in the SE corner of the park. The west side of that compartment is pretty rough terrain and I walked through it but ended up doing most of my still hunting on the east side of the compartment where it was flatter. I think it is a good compartment but outside of close to 674 there isn't a ton of open areas to really figure out where the deer are moving. I hunted on a river bank the first afternoon which was elevated and gave me a good perspective and I probably should have gone back there the next morning as I could see a pretty good ways there but didn't see anything that hunt and never went back to that spot. I hunted a few hundred yards west of there the next morning and even a little further west the next afternoon. I actually never saw a deer in 10 while I was still hunting/sitting. Quite a few trails going through the compartment and honestly kind of surprised that I didn't see much

Two guys in 6 shot a couple of does and a spike and they left for good the second night so me and another TBHer switched to their compartment for the last morning. The night they left one of the guys in 6 said he had seen 30 or 40 deer that afternoon. It was super foggy both mornings which didn't help but 6 is a lot more open than 10 and you can see a long ways in a lot of it. It has a river bed than runs through it and I would think the deer use that as a travel route.

I talked quite a bit to the guy in 11(TBHer), the group in 9, the guy in 8 and the guy in 5 (another TBHer). Nothing was seen in 11, the guys in 9 didn't see much and said they struggled to find open areas to hunt, the guy in 8 shot one but I think it was the only deer he saw and the guy in 5 saw a few but a long ways off.

There were probably a few more but the deer that I know were shot were:

The guy in 8 shot a spike the last morning, the guys in 7 shot a couple of does (at least I was told that) and 3 deer were killed in 6. Talked briefly to the guy that hunted 12 and he said he had seen a pretty good buck but since it was antlerless/spike he obviously couldn't shoot it.

If given the choice and I draw there again I would pick a compartment on the west side as it seems to be a lot more open and 6 would probably be my top choice. That said, I didn't really talk to the guys in 1, 3 or 4 so don't really have any info on those compartments.

On our hunt they let the drawn hunters draw out of a hat and then we could switch if we wanted to do so. Standby groups had the same option after the drawn hunters drew.

That may be more information than you were looking for but hopefully it will help you on your hunt. I did use Onx hunting GPS app and can post locations that I hunted if you care to look at them or if you have any other questions let me know and I will be happy to give you my take on it.

It is a beautiful park and I had a blast even though I didn't see much.

If you want a map of the compartments to try to game plan before you get there shoot me your email or cell and I can send it to you.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it goes.
                        Last edited by Rounder; 01-01-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                          Pardon the lack of response at that time. I have been mostly "out of pocket" with an ailing mom and Father-in-law; as well as deer hunting in remote areas. Just now trying to "catch up" on the Forum links.
                          Hope you were able to get the information you needed and have a great hunt.

Comment

Working...
                          X