Screw high price hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elite0429 View Post
    public land hunter here. we go north to Illinois every year and kill some nice deer. I spend about $1000 total for this trip. there is a lot of Midwestern states you can hunt public land have great success!
    And don't forget indian reservation land, some real good opportunities there. I quit the lease game in texas over a decade ago and don't plan on ever getting back in it.
    Last edited by bossbowman; 08-23-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
      I switched to bass fishing for alot of the year, the public freshwater lakes are plentiful in this state and its much lower cost than hunting.
      You must not fish like I used to lol. My fishing was ten times more expensive than hunting. Best thing I ever did was quit. I spent a fortune on bass.

Comment

The cost of everything is increasing and it's just a matter of what you feel something is worth. I don't spend money on ball games or concerts because I think they have gotten expensive, for what I get out of them. All depends on an individual's priorities and what they are willing to spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          I love how the high price of hunting is blamed on the hunters.
          because someone else is paying it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hocks & horns View Post
            The cost of everything is increasing and it's just a matter of what you feel something is worth. I don't spend money on ball games or concerts because I think they have gotten expensive, for what I get out of them. All depends on an individual's priorities and what they are willing to spend.
            Yes, I have seen guys post on TBH bragging about that 2000.00 rifle scope ,rifle , binoculars or rangefinders and then look for some cheap hunt some where. I would rather take a bad azz hunt with a cheap gun than have a 2000.00 scope sitting in my gun safe that I cant use.

If some fella pays 500.00 for a hog hunt and has a good time, who cares? Reckon I dont understand what your address has to do with the cost of a lease either.

Comment

It hasn't been the cost of leases that keeps me away, it's the long list of "lease rules" that a lot seem to have...10,000 acre lease and here's your 200 acre pasture to hunt....., just one of many that sucks the fun right out of it.......

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                I love how the high price of hunting is blamed on the hunters.
                True. Prices will change when consumers stop the demand.

Comment

6 years ago I bought a deer rifle and the APH permit. Used my dove hunting camo and $5 cotton thermals (got soaked in sweat and froze. Learned that lesson quick). After some preseason scouting it took 3 days during season to get my first buck, a 6 point on public land from the ground with no blind. Processed it myself and did a euro mount myself.

Next year got an antlerless buck on public land. Got skunked the next year. Got a 10 point the following year on public land. Got skunked last year.

Each year I tend to add a piece of equipment that helps me out. Now I have a climbing stand and am thinking about trying the saddle thing.

The point is, you can make it as basic and cheap or as expensive and complicated as you want. No one talks about the simple aproach though. Its all about how many cameras you have out, how many feeders you have to fill.

Last edited by MetalMan2004; 08-23-2018, 03:56 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                    6 years ago I bought a deer rifle and the APH permit. Used my dove hunting camo and $5 cotton thermals (got soaked in sweat and froze. Learned that lesson quick). After some preseason scouting it took 3 days during season to get my first buck, a 6 point on public land from the ground with no blind. Processed it myself and did a euro mount myself.

Next year got an antlerless buck on public land. Got skunked the next year. Got a 10 point the following year on public land. Got skunked last year.

Each year I tend to add a piece of equipment that helps me out. Now I have a climbing stand and am thinking about trying the saddle thing.

The point is, you can make it as basic and cheap or as expensive and complicated as you want. No one talks about the simple aproach though. Its all about how many cameras you have out, how many feeders you have to fill, etc.
                    Knew a guy in Iowa where we hunted, had private land to hunt but he also hunted public and killed monster deer. He used a Summit climber and told us to hunt stupid, just walk in, find a good tree on a ridge and get in it......this during rut, said they run the ridges and rattle and grunt call

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                      You must not fish like I used to lol. My fishing was ten times more expensive than hunting. Best thing I ever did was quit. I spent a fortune on bass.
                      Yes I do not tournament fish if thats what your getting at, I'm sure that can get expensive quick.

Comment

Dont worry...When Beto gets elected hes introducing a bill that should make hunting free for everyone. He'll get the top 1 percent of TBHers to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          Dont worry...When Beto gets elected hes introducing a bill that should make hunting free for everyone. He'll get the top 1 percent of TBHers to pay for it.
                          He all over San Antone advertising and holding babies. He gonna reinstate the assault weapons ban and tax the wealthy more to provide free college education. I cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                            I have said this before but in 1995 we leased temple land for 5 bucks an acre. today we lease timber company land at 10 bucks an acre. same time period a new diesel pickup went from 25k to 60k, gas feom 89 cents to 3 bucks. hunting just keeps up with inflation just like everything else
                            Yep, then combine that with the massive population increases in the State of TX. In 1995, the Houston metropolitan area (Harris and surrounding counties) was something like 3.5-4 million people. It's like 6.7 million in 2018. That's almost double in 20 years! Dallas/Fort Worth followed a similar trend during that time period and Austin and San Antonio have been doing the same more recently.

People like to look back and point out how much a deer lease cost 20 plus years ago, but they completely ignore everything else. Inflation and population trends are more to blame than anything. That's just too easy though. It's more fun to add emotion to the argument and blame other hunters that pay more than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                              First time for everything. Never thought I would hear anyone brag about living in Shepherd.
                              Oh I wasn't bragging about living here. But I'll make the best of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                I havn't noticed your place for sale yet...

You chose to do all that expensive stuff, don't forget. And at the end of the deal, you'll own it.
                                Everyone has got to choose to lease or not as well. No different than the rent vs buy decision when people choose a house except the "rent" option when it comes to deer hunting is always much much cheaper than the buy so that leads me to think that lease prices will continue to rise

Comment

Working...
                                X