Canyon vs Tacoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canyon vs Tacoma

Looking to purchase one of these two trucks in the near future for my son who is turning 16. Either choice will be a new model.

We test drove both of the trucks today. We are somewhat leaning towards the Canyon, because of the technology using smartphones, as well as a few extras that can be had over the standard SR5 model Tacoma, for the price.

My concerns are that I know a Tacoma will last forever, and compared to chevrolets/gmc I dont think they will have the same longevity. Should I really worry though about a truck that will last him 10-15 years over say 8 with the GMC?

Any thoughts on either model? Any real life experience owning a Canyon/Colorado for a few years and how it is holding up? What say you Green Screen?

No offense, but odds are a 16yo will probably total either truck before they wear out.

Comment

None taken, and I hold your same belief. I personally would do things different, but its a gift from grandparents and what they want to do.

Comment

Taco Taco

Comment

I like the way the Canyon's look but this wouldn't even be a fair contest in my mind. The Tacoma wins all small truck comparisons hands down in my opinion. Reliability and resale value alone blow the others out of the water.

Comment

Taco for sure. I have had several bowties and none of them have outlasted my wife's Toyota's.

Comment

Toyota all the way. Don't have to worry about it breaking down and when he gets done with it he will be able to sell for good money.

Comment

Tacoma hands down. All that technology is going to distract him in the Canyon. Not to mention they have really no resale value and won't last near as long. Not to mention maintenance costs will probably be cheaper in the long run on the Taco.

Comment

I think the toyota will hold up better for a kid.

Comment

IMO , the new Tacoma’s are overpriced and yes they have solid resale, but the ride and cab room is better in the canyon. I would choose GMC on this one. Unless you are talking the last generation Tacoma. Those were much more bullet proof than the new ones from the bit I’ve heard.

Comment

Tacoma for me, resale value was a big factor for me. As you can tell from selling pages of older tacomas. My grandmother's 4 door Colorado had to be rebuilt, believe it was a 2008 so may not be a factor. Just hated to drive it compared to my tacoma.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                        I like the way the Canyon's look but this wouldn't even be a fair contest in my mind. The Tacoma wins all small truck comparisons hands down in my opinion. Reliability and resale value alone blow the others out of the water.
                        Normally I’d agree with you. The 16+ models haven’t been as bullet proof as the Tacoma’s of the past though. That coupled with an increased quality in the GM compact trucks. I still think the Toyota will have much better resale, but I’m not so sure on the quality now. Either way I do think the Toyota is a better buy.

Comment

New?
                          Your son is a lucky man.
                          Not sure where you are getting your numbers but those trucks will last much longer than 8, 10 or 15 years unless it is used on the ranch 7 days a week. My daily driver is a 2002 Sierra. 235,000 miles. Still rollin strong!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider323 View Post
                            None taken, and I hold your same belief. I personally would do things different, but its a gift from grandparents and what they want to do.
                            Would they consider buying him a cheaper used truck for now that doesn't have distracting technological bells and whistles? 16 year olds don't need anything else to focus on while they're trying to drive. They suck at it bad enough already.

Then, the grandparents could put the rest of the money aside until he graduates, and they could buy the new truck then - after he's learned how to drive better and matured some. Just a thought. Sounds like you've probably had similar thoughts already though.

Comment

Originally posted by lilbradford View Post
                              IMO , the new Tacoma’s are overpriced and yes they have solid resale, but the ride and cab room is better in the canyon. I would choose GMC on this one. Unless you are talking the last generation Tacoma. Those were much more bullet proof than the new ones from the bit I’ve heard.
                              The Canyon did ride better and was about 4" bigger in leg room (We are both over 6'3"). Either will be fine ride wise once decided, but comparing the two models on the same day, you can feel the Canyon is smoother.

Comment

Working...
                              X