No announcement yet.

Advice for Trad Hunting Rookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to revisit this, no matter your experience. There are many good tips on this thread but the one piece of advice that sticks with me the most is something Buff said in his post:

"Every time you draw your bow, expect to kill what you are looking at. Don't over think it. When the time is right just draw your bow and kill the darn thing."

Over-thinking and pre-shot anxiety amplifies the brain fog that causes bad shots. (or at least it does for me)

Comment

And, in the immortal words of Elmer Fudd, "Be vewy, vewy, quiet." Double and triple check your equipment to be sure that your full draw cycle is silent. A click or a squeak while drawing can turn what's looking like venison into what's looking long gone.

Comment

Stay with it

Comment

Play the wind, I use natural blinds in the shade. Keep shots close.....it's bow hunting! Sit as long as you can and then sit another 5 minutes longer! I like hand corn and pick a hair to shoot. Keep broadheads sharp and practice sitting and in your hunting clothes. Something I learned the hard way a couple of times ....Don't push a marginally shot animal, if I don't see them fall, I prefer when possible to wait 3-4 hrs before blood trailing. Most fatally hit deer won't run more than 200 yds if that, before laying down, if you kick them up, they will run till they die leaving a hard to track blood trail

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

thanks for putting this up, really great information here, I am in my rookie season and looking forward to getting out with the stickbow this year.

Comment

Originally posted by matt21418 View Post
              thanks for putting this up, really great information here, I am in my rookie season and looking forward to getting out with the stickbow this year.
              Good luck! And welcome to the TBH trad forum!

Comment

I hear ya. I'm headed out this weekend to the lease for the first time with my bow for deer. Last time I went out I ended up seeing a hog while carrying my daughter and fishing poles to the pond. No fishing poles this time.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  Good luck! And welcome to the TBH trad forum!
                  Thanks man!

Comment

Welcome to the Trad side. You're in for a great ride.

Comment

I bought a recurve last year and decided i would learn how to shoot it, i have space in my back yard to practice at any distance. So this is the beginning season of learning how to shoot it and trying to shoot a few pigs to see what i can get accomplished. I have figured out in a very short time period of just trying to learn how to shoot a recurve that it is a Humbling process to start, if you have an ego and want to keep it intact go back to a gun...expecting to be humbled this year many a times!
                      If i get anything i will probably shout it from the rooftops!

Comment

Welcome to the fold, Loanman!!!! And your observation is spot on. There are times you will be humbled when you are 20yrs into it!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Loanman View Post
                          I bought a recurve last year and decided i would learn how to shoot it, i have space in my back yard to practice at any distance. So this is the beginning season of learning how to shoot it and trying to shoot a few pigs to see what i can get accomplished. I have figured out in a very short time period of just trying to learn how to shoot a recurve that it is a Humbling process to start, if you have an ego and want to keep it intact go back to a gun...expecting to be humbled this year many a times!

If i get anything i will probably shout it from the rooftops!

Hey man I am new this year as well...on learning to shoot if you haven't already found it check out "The Push" they have an awesome intro to trad video on YouTube that goes over a ton of information...and then they have a podcast as well...I highly recommend checking out the coaching moments with Tom Clum...he is an amazing coach that I was lucky enough to spend a couple of days with this summer helping to make sure I was starting down the right track! Soon Tom should be putting out an online course that goes over this stuff in great detail with video demonstrations as well.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X