Taking 9yr old Duck Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking 9yr old Duck Hunting

My 9yr old son is beginning to really appreciate the hunting opportunities he has had. Last year at 8 he shot his 1st buck. This year we are expanding to shotguns and he shot his 1st dove on our neighbors place, we have only had the opportunity to go twice dove.

This year we want to go duck hunting. I have a dog that will retrieve, a boat, and 5 dozen decoys. I've not gone duck hunting in the last 10 years so I'm really rusty and the duck hunting I did do wasn't really formal, it was just jumping them on stock tanks near me. I'm building a blind for my boat also.

Do you guys think it's crazy to think I can just go to the very far north end of Lake Conroe and hope to see a few ducks? My boat has a surface drive so I can get back in some shallow stuff.

Should I try and get some more experience people to go with us or pay to go with a guide for a hunt or two before going out on our own? Funds are limited so I can't afford the white glove treatment. I bought a longtail from the owner of an outfitter club on the East Side of Houston and he said we could come hunt once this season for free with him but I feel bad taking him up on it because I saw that most of their camp houses flooded out BAD in Harvey.

What would y'all do?

I would ask to go during the week, if you are still feeling upside down on the deal, offer to swamp for him (be a grunt, set decoys, pick up decoys, help clean birds, etc.) on a trip or two. A 9yr old is a handful in a duck blind, especially if shooting, so when you do take him, you will be preoccupied.

With that said, early Teal season might be a better trip for a 9 yr old. Warm weather, fast action, flock shooting, easy for the little one to think that he killed one. Plus, Teal hunts are normally over by 7:30 in the morning. Grinding out singles in the cold is tough for a 9 yr old.

Just my $.02

Comment

I think you should do okay getting out and giving it ago on the north end of the lake but from what ive heard, get out there early or prepare to be hunted on top of.

Ever hunt the coast? I would be giving that a shot over conroe if you dont mind the trip or maybe somerville.

Get out there now with this front that came through to do some scouting. have at least 2 or 3 spots to get to incase you get beat and give em hell.

Hunting ducks is all about scouting

Comment

Man I have taken my boys duck hunting since they were 5. All three grew up in the blind. It's easier to duck hunt with a child than it is to deer hunt. They don't have to be near as quite or still. They get to shoot at something every time they go. Give them a teal whistle to blow and teach him how to just "Peep". If you shoot one, tell him that he shot it. If you don't, I guarantee that he will love it anyway. Nothing like watching ducks landing into decoys to get him hooked on hunting. Bring some hot chocolate and snacks and enjoy that time together.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
          I think you should do okay getting out and giving it ago on the north end of the lake but from what ive heard, get out there early or prepare to be hunted on top of.

Ever hunt the coast? I would be giving that a shot over conroe if you dont mind the trip or maybe somerville.

Get out there now with this front that came through to do some scouting. have at least 2 or 3 spots to get to incase you get beat and give em hell.

This!

Scouting is the key. Now days it is hard to avoid the sky blasters, and folks
          with awful hunting etiquette unless you are around seasoned bird hunters. Like ultralite said, have multiple spots that you can set up rather easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post

Yup! Scout scout scout. I learned this from Ultralite.

Comment

We are willing to go to the coast or Somerville. We have camped at Sea Rim and I know there is a lot of hunting down there.

Where would y'all recommend on the coast? I'm familiar with Matagorda and that area from lots of time fishing. Is it ok there or do we need to go farther East or South?

Somerville would probably be better than Conroe now that I think about it and I may have a place to stay close to there.

My boat is a Go Devil 1860 so I can cross some open water but it beats me to death in the really rough stuff.

Comment

Don't know anything about Lake Conroe, but from quick google search, the north end is the place to go. Sounds like alot of stumps, so take your time.

Sommerville has ponds on the WMA that might produce, but don't know. The lake is 100%, so you might be able to get back to Flag Pond. Again the way to get their is going to be rough at night.

As far as guides go, here are some I'd recommend:

We Specialize in Guided Duck and Guided Goose Hunts in Northeast Texas and Southeast Oklahoma. We Provide Quality Accommodations, Professional Waterfowl Guides and Equipment For Your Guided Hunting Experience.

Only one I know of on the coast is: http://www.saltitudeoutfitters.com/

Just remember, when you take him hunting, you're taking him hunting. Always make the trip about the kiddo. When he's done, you're done. I did that with my kiddo and she loves hunting. She's a teenager and still asks to go, and now I get to hunt too.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy_sleeper View Post
                  We are willing to go to the coast or Somerville. We have camped at Sea Rim and I know there is a lot of hunting down there.

Where would y'all recommend on the coast? I'm familiar with Matagorda and that area from lots of time fishing. Is it ok there or do we need to go farther East or South?

Somerville would probably be better than Conroe now that I think about it and I may have a place to stay close to there.

My boat is a Go Devil 1860 so I can cross some open water but it beats me to death in the really rough stuff.

Should be good to go then. Im not a seasoned coastal hunter like a lot of guys on here but always had easy limits shooting near Pringle Lake and just about anywhere in between Seadrift and Port O Connor. Also heard of good hunting in east Mattie and Christmas Bay.

Lots of back waters to hunt so you dont have to cross open water but seem to find bigger rafts out on the far side of the bay depending on what part during the season. Just make sure you keep an eye on the wind if you cross the bay, itll get nasty quick

Comment

Working...
                  X