Avoid stylecraft homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid stylecraft homes

This past February, my wife and I bought a brand new stylecraft home. Once again, this was a brand new, never lived in home before we bought it. We loved the floor plan and the price was right. Before we bought the home, we had good service and all of our concerns were addressed. However, after the sale was complete, warranty claims have been horrific.

1. Carpet started pulling away from the verticle boards on the stairs. A week after I submitted a warranty claim it was repaired.

2. I'm late spring, I let our dog out in the back yard when I noticed standing water. I followed the water around the house to the front yard. A check of the water meter confirmed there was a major water leak. I submitted a warranty claim in the middle of the day on Friday. Sunday afternoon came around and I had still not heard from anyone. A few phone calls later raising some cane and a plumber was on their way. The main water line coming into the house had sprung a leak just 2 feet from the foundation.

3. In multiple places upstairs, the floor had already started creaking and popping when walking around. 2 weeks after the warranty claim was submitted somone came out and shot screws through the carpet to hold the boards in place.

4. I submitted 2 warranty claims on October 30th. One was for a nail that for some reason has backed out of the sheet rock and is sticking out about 1/2". This problem has still not been fixed nearly 2 months later.

5. The other warranty claim that was submitted on October 30th was for a cracked shower pan in the master bathroom. All they have done on this is torn out the old, cracked shower pan. I discovered what looks like mold under the pan so I treated it and am now waiting on the new pan to be installed and our shower to be put back together.

6. I'll be submitting a warranty claim in today because upstairs in the master bedroom my wife discovered about a 5 foot long crack in the vaulted ceiling where 2 sides meet.

7. I'm Friday, I was walking past our bathroom when I heard the toilet running. After digging into it I discovered the water valve had failed. Because of stylecraft's slow and pitiful warranty service I plan on fixing this myself.

Our warranty with stylecraft expires in February. Due to all of the problems we have already had, and the poor excuse for warranty service, I don't know what we are going to do or what options we might have.

So if you are looking to buy a new home, steer clear of stylecraft.

Maybe I'm off base here, but most of that sounds like typical home ownership stuff to me? Foundation settling (cracks happen), etc. The toilet thing isn't an issue w/ the builder and seems significantly minor to worry about going through the claims process. The carpet on the stairs pulling away from the tack strips also seems like it would rank pretty low on a priority list, which would make a week turnaround seem amicable to me. Again, maybe my standards are just too low. Hope you can find happiness with your home.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
      Maybe I'm off base here, but most of that sounds like typical home ownership stuff to me? Foundation settling (cracks happen), etc. The toilet thing isn't an issue w/ the builder and seems significantly minor to worry about going through the claims process. The carpet on the stairs pulling away from the tack strips also seems like it would rank pretty low on a priority list, which would make a week turnaround seem amicable to me. Again, maybe my standards are just too low. Hope you can find happiness with your home.

If these problems were isolated to just out house I would agree with you. My mother in law bought a stylecraft home 5 houses away from us just a few months before we did. She has had a couple of issues, and one of those which she submitted a warranty claim for was never fixed (the surface on one of the kitchen cabinets is coming off). A friend of mine from church was in the process of getting stylecraft to build a house for him. After the house failed city water inspection 7 times in a row he backed out and bought a new home from a different builder. The new owner of that home has had multiple issues with the house that stylecraft has not fixed and so he has put the house up for sale.

Comment

Are they still building in the neighborhood? I have owned one brand new home and it was a perry. Warranty service was good while they were still building in our subdivision. The construction manager lived there and he had his subs running around doing all the warranty work. Once they pulled out, it wasn't even worth calling them, just easier to handle on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
          All of the stuff the OP listed is fairly typical homeowner stuff, when it happens over a a decade or more of owing the home but in this case it has been less than a year of when the house was completed. If that is acceptable to you then I would agree that your standards, or maybe your expectations, are too low. Any home builder would love to have you as a customer.

OP, sorry for your troubles with the new home. Maybe start the process now of negotiating for an extended home warranty at no cost to you considering all the issues you have had. I have never bought a new built house so I don't what the chances of that happening are.

Comment

Yes, they are just now finishing up with phase 2 and are just about finished getting land ready to start building phase 3. All the roads and utilities are there but they won't start phase 3 until all phase 2 are built.

Comment

I can attest to stylecraft homes being sub par. I use do some work in roofing and have seen 1 year old hikes by them with the entire slope of shingles falling off. I've also had friends that have owned them and have had several issues through the home in regards to cabinetry and various other problems within the first couple of years. They build with the cheapest materials and use cheap labor. I personally would never own a style craft home. Especially after working with them on roofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry to hear it. My wife and I looked at them before buying our current house and they have a bad reputation in College Station.

Comment

Not all of us are good candidates for a newly completed house. Some patience may be required as the house is broken-in/test driven/lived in.

The cracked shower pan isn't very common, but it can happen.

Comment

What's a good one in San Antonio?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                      Not all of us are good candidates for a newly completed house. Some patience may be required as the house is broken-in/test driven/lived in.

The cracked shower pan isn't very common, but it can happen.

I would think 2 months is more than enough time to get a shower pan complerely replaced. It has been nearly 2 months and all they have done is tear it all out. If I was paying a contractor, 1 month would be too long so I think I have been more than generous.

Comment

Good example of $10 per hour mexican labor provided by Slim Shady as a sub. Why anyone would expect better is a fool. There are some craftsmen, but they soon depart back home to live large.............

Comment

Send them an email with links to all the web sites you have posted negative comments about and let them know more will be posted until your warranty items are taken care of. Things like that usually get a company to jump through hoops quickly.

Comment

If they're still building/selling in your neighborhood, mention that you're going to post a sign in your yard tallying your issues.

Comment

We always called them Style-crap .

I framed their houses for a year, too. It was not uncommon for us to start framing the morning after a pour while they pulled foundation boards off.

Comment

Working...
                              X