Ham recipe needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham recipe needed

I wanted to ask the GS if ya'll have used a pork butt or pork picnic (typically used for smoking) to make ham out of it. I am on the hook to make a ham for Thanksgiving dinner and I had a few pork butts in the freezer that I thought would be good for this, thoughts?
    thanks and happy thanksgiving.
    Cat

Smart is your man, he is the butt expert

Comment

The pork would have to be brined in order to get a true rosy pink ham out of it. I have attached my go to recipe for brining pork into hams in link above, but it cures at a rate of 3lbs per day which I'm guessing is a little late for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I would go buy one from the store already brined and ready to go, cook it/glaze it and be done, but save recipe for future reference. I Typically use it on wild hog hind quarters but will work on any cut of meat and store bought pork as well

Comment

thanks for the recommendation.

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
        http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=511819

The pork would have to be brined in order to get a true rosy pink ham out of it. I have attached my go to recipe for brining pork into hams in link above, but it cures at a rate of 3lbs per day which I'm guessing is a little late for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I would go buy one from the store already brined and ready to go, cook it/glaze it and be done, but save recipe for future reference. I Typically use it on wild hog hind quarters but will work on any cut of meat and store bought pork as well

Comment

Originally posted by hcshooter View Post
          Smart is your man, he is the butt expert

No hams for me...too much work....we just buy them...... and a pork butt is technically the "butt" of the front shoulder on a pig not the ham or rear quarter. I know I know confusing...

Comment

Dig a hole about 3x3. Two feet deep. Burn mesquite until the hole is 2/3 deep in coals. Wrap your Han in 3 layers of heavy duty foil. Hollow out a place in the coals and put the ham in it. Cover the hole with some tin then put about 6" of dirt on top of the tin. Leave the ham in there overnight. Best ham you will ever taste. Works with brisket and turkey too. Be prepared to do it every year because you're family will demand it again and again.

Comment

Working...
            X