Borderlands Photo Safari... Brainstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borderlands Photo Safari... Brainstorm

Several years ago, Casey Morris and I talked about organizing a road trip to the Big Bend area of west Texas to shoot some photography.

Some of our planning was centered around the 1985 movie Fandango that starred Kevin Costner, Judd Nelson and Sam Robards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FANDANGO.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	24897107

Fandango is a coming of age flick about some UT students who venture west on one last great adventure post college graduation and pre real world.

The movie has some great Chihuahuan desert footage...

Including a stop at a burned out old cantina named "Chata Ortegas" just outside of Pecos...

Chata Ortega's Bar & Grill by Noel Kerns, on Flickr

and what was left of the main Reata set ruins from the movie Giant near Marfa.

Name:	fandango_cast1.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	24897108

Recently, after firing a few begging e mails, the Nature Conservancy of Texas gave us permission to access the Davis Mountain preserve just outside Fort Davis. All we have to do is promise to give TNC some publicity in the Texasbowhunter's Journal via an article about their efforts to preserve the wild places.

Here's a shot I took there a few years back in Winter. The Davis Mountains are what's known as a "sky island" meaning that they are a distinct eco system isolated from the rest of what eventually forms the Rockies. The only grove of Aspen trees in Texas is in the lower right hand portion of the image.

the top Mt. Livermore by legdog, on Flickr

So now we are trying to figure out where we are going and who is able to make it. I found this map in a Borderlands National Geographic drives of a lifetime article.

Name:	borderlands.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	24897106

Looks like Michael Middleton, Casey Morris, Mary Bone, Cameron Gott, myself and possibly Russell Graves, Les Tompkins, Sofi Leggett and TC Hensel will go May 11 - 14.

If you have ideas on "must see" things or the best way to incorporate a trip to Santa Elena canyon or Peguis Canyon in Ojinaga please feel free to share.

I'm expecting big things from this trip. There will be little time to relax and an emphasis on covering miles and capturing "the good stuff". I hope to have a list of itinerary "goals" soon but welcome any and all suggestions.

Thanks
    Last edited by Legdog; 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM.

Counting down the days...

Comment

Good movie.I love the land down that way its beautiful imho.

Comment

One of my favorite parts of the world. Definitely take your time on the river road between Lajitas and Presidio. Things have changed a lot down there since 9/11.

Comment

What a fantastic op

Comment

Killing me.....

I can't wait to see the pics from this trip. Wish I could go.

Comment

Just got word my battery grip (that I had ordered with my camera) is on eternal back order. Guess I need to go ahead and tell them to substitute. I'm sure there can never be enough battery power for this trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                Killing me.....

I can't wait to see the pics from this trip. Wish I could go.
                Ditto, man would love to be able to go as well. Do us proud lady and gents.

Comment

Ideas

This Noel Kerns guy has to be the leader in illuminated photography.

The Prada store in Marfa

Prada Marfa by Noel Kerns, on Flickr

Back before I ever picked up a camera, I visited this jail in Claremont...

Jailbreak by Noel Kerns, on Flickr

Comment

The restaurant at the Lajitas resort is worth a stop.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait for the pics.

Comment

I've just gotta make this trip, but I'll admit I'm already overwhelmed thinking about the photographic potential, and honestly intimidated by the creative talent being assembled for this trip!

I may need one of our tractor/trailer rigs just to tote the gear that will be making this trek!
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Sounds like a helluva trip . . .I'll be anxiously awaiting the pixels.

Comment

Going to be a good one.

Rwc

Comment

::Sigh::

Comment

Working...
                              X