No announcement yet.

Weekend Brisket lets see them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the heck do y’all find these butcher cuts of brisket? The briskets I always find have little to no fat.

Comment

Originally posted by shea.mcphail View Post
      Where the heck do y’all find these butcher cuts of brisket? The briskets I always find have little to no fat.
      I usually just pick mine up at HEB

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^Most smoked meat I've had that was tough or dry was almost done but not quite. As it approaches 200 it gets wet lookin again and that's when the good stuff is happening! I'm a traitor though I went to electric smokers cause they are easy peasy - consistent and I get just as much smoke - on BB ribs I'm usually done at 4.5 hrs and St. Louis at about 7 - Butts about 12hrs - I never do anything but feed the smoke chips. Good rub on the meat, garlic and an onion in the water bowl (really makes a diff!) and never ever let the water get too low. I quit all the 3-2-1 on pork ribs cause with practice I got to where I could achieve the same results. I like using the temp probe on roasts and brisket - on ribs it's all by eye. 203 is where I like to pull the brisket and butt
        I tried spatchcock chicken after seeing it on fox and I will never do it any other way!! Takes an hour on the pit at about 350 or so and just melts in your mouth!!! Coat with olive oil and poor some BBQ rub on and flip it about every 15 min - watch for flair ups in the first 30 min

Comment

[quote=JLivi1224;13396986]
          Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
          Well......it is started
          [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180527/6dbe0f0ce7e2424bdb157e6c0360f3ae

I have those same grill but can’t seem to keep good constant temp low like that. Any advice? Thanks!
          The first pics were at about 6:45 this morning. These were just now at 11:15......just a little diligence and you can manage to keep these cheap smokers at a good temp

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            According to this it isn’t the fat but rather a complex chemical reaction called Maillard, aka DRIP (diffusion restricted irreversible polymerization) forms the pellicle.

Bark is that sweet, rich, crusty surface on low and slow cooked meat, and for many of us, the best part. It is part pellicle and part spice crust, but how does it form? The Maillard reaction, polymerization, and evaporation are key. Find out how to get better bark on your brisket, ribs, and pork shoulder.

I have by no means perfected it, and it’s a battle using a Kamado style cooker

What makes it difficult in the Kamado? I’m thinking of getting one of those with our new house build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No HEB in Dallas . Hopefully I don’t have to find a speciality meat market.

Chops - what electric smoker are you using? I have a simple masterbuilt that I learned on. My next big purchase will be a 36 inch blackstone griddle, followed by a sous vide.

After those I’ll be buying a new smoker. Debating between switching from electric to gas/wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                I usually just pick mine up at HEB

Yep. Me too.
                The Super HEB’s have about 4 different grades of briskets. Heck a lot of times I’ll find better, more flexible briskets in the lower grade sections than the high dollar ones. They have to bend in half easily before I buy one.

Comment

Weekend Brisket lets see them

I buy brisket on sale. Mostly select and choice from Albertsons or Kroger. I look for marbling in the flat and try to stay around 10-12 lbs unless I have a big group cook and need more yield. I also trim the hell out of them so visual outside fat is not really a factor in my choice. I just look for fat marbling in the meat.... what little there is in brisket anyway. Every little bit helps.

I do the bend deal as well but in a vacuum cryo-pack, its not a must. Some of those thing get vacuumed tight and are harder to bend than others. Pull them out and they flop like a wet noodle.
                  Last edited by Smart; 05-27-2018, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Sorry to not be specific....We rednecks call it rendered fat or liquid. No way in hell do I show up at a BBQ and talk about a "pellicle or maillard". Save that **** for Buffy and Babs down at the country club... Your link says the reaction is a mix of liquid, the rub and smoke.. I'll keep it at that.

Hey Earl....you got your Pellicle rolling yet? Clem...have you hit your Maillard yet?
                    That is some funny stuff!

Comment

After a 6 hour smoke......it is now wrapped and back on for a couple hours until it reaches the 200 degree mark

Comment

I don’t anything about Kamodas, but the Egg with a BBQ guru is pretty much fool -proof

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          What makes it difficult in the Kamado? I’m thinking of getting one of those with our new house build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Don’t get me wrong a Kamado is a fantastic cooking machine. It is low maintenance and turns out great meat and super versatile from low and slow to 700 degree sear on steaks.

I think the issue with bark on these style cookers is 2 fold. 1 you aren’t using true indirect cooking method. You are using direct heat, redirected via a plate/stone. Eventually that stone becomes the same as the ambient temp and you lose some of the benefits. Consequently cooks aren’t as long. An 8 lb brisket that should take 8 hours plus finishes in a little over 5. Second you are using charcoal which burns cleaner and produces less smoke. You offset that with chips or chunks of cooking wood, but unlike a stick burner you don’t have duration of smoke. There is no scientific way to arrange the wood so that it smolders when you want it or need it to. On an 8 hour cook, I might have 3 hours of good on & off smoke.

I have tried to offset this using the snake method, where you neatly arrang the charcoal in a “snake” shape along the perimeter of the fire pit and place wood chunks along the way. But often the charcoal burns beneath the wood and it leaves the wood relatively unburned. This also means your heat source is at the perimeter so you lose more of the benefit of the deflector.

I’ve tried to add more wood, maybe a 80/20 mix of charcoal to wood and ended up with a sooty/ashy tasting pork shoulder.

The two crucial components to bark is time and smoke, you are limited on both in a Kamado cooker.

Having said that you get an adequate bark, just not a brisket that looks like a meteorite on the outside and a tender goodness inside. It is low maintenance. I can keep most of my cooks within 7 degrees (225-232) with little tending. That means I can play with the kids, do chores even leave the house. I took a 45 min round trip this morning and my temp differential was 3 degrees. So take some good with adequate product turnout.

This has been my experience, I’ve had mine for almost 2 years. Maybe a more experienced Kamado guy can correct me. Mine is also a cheap Akorn, a higher end Egg or Primos might yield different/better results.

Originally posted by QDM4fun View Post
                          I don’t anything about Kamodas, but the Egg with a BBQ guru is pretty much fool -proof
                          An Egg is a Kamado style cooker.

Comment

I ❤ this thread

Comment

Small one pretty darn good

Salt/pepper only

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3340.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	24540071

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3341.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	24540072

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang now I wish I woulda thrown the ribs on today instead of tomorrow, I’m hungry

Comment

Working...
                                X