14-15 year old buck goes down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    Cementum annuli has been proven inaccurate. Michael Schlabach, of MAD Taxidermy in Lagrange, sent in 5 deer of known ages. They only got 2 right.

The deer were all born and killed on a high fence ranch, so they were certain of the ages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Mississippi State University Deer Lab did a similiar study. Cementum annuli only showed a 30% accuracy rate

Comment

Originally posted by chuckw View Post
      i know on my place that bucks tend to pass on their antler characteristics to offspring. how do we KNOW that is the same deer and not a great......great grandson? seems to be in really good physical condition for that age.
      yep.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
        An old deer to look at

wow!! that is some messed up head gear, but it does have a lot of character.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          I'd like to see the pics and have no doubt he is 14 years old.

That method is about as accurate as our guesses.
          Why do you say that, tooth aging can be accurate, the state ages l animals up here based on teeth annuli and they have been right on. Not hard to figure when you see the deer every year and know them on the hoof, the lab's ages have proven to be accurate.
          The ring forms in winter, guess perhaps without a real winter it may affect your results down south.

Comment

I currently have 2 tagged deer that were born in my deer pens, tagged and released when they were approx 9 months old. One is a 14 yr old buck and the other is a 13 yr old doe. They both look pretty good. So it can happen in real life. Now, I know these are genetic mutants and in no way reflect real deer. ��

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              This thread is in the top 10 of "Stupidest Threads Of All Time"

Even before the crash..
              And the list updates daily these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                And the list updates daily these days.
                i love prison mike.

we have an old buck on our place we've been trying to kill since 2012, when i had him at 5. never seen him in person, his best set of antlers was last year at an estimated 10yo.

Comment

Op is probably right.
                  On one of my unmolested Mexico ranches, these bucks would live for eeeeeever.
                  Nobody killing them and had their daily routine down.
                  I saw deer that were exactly the same when I started and when I left the ranch years and years later.
                  Almost identical antlers every year.
                  14 and good shape is very possible.

Comment

No doubt bucks can live that long.

The funny thing is what TKK did after starting this thread! [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Hummm. Was my only comment. Maybe I should have said Hummm very interesting or Hummmm how do you know for sure. I didn't question or call him out for being wrong at all. I didn't realize I was dealing with a snowflake that was gonna pull his pics and go home. My bad.
                      calling someone a snowflake (or any name), if they aren't could be........ not good. JS

I killed a poor conditioned, really weird racked buck that I was guessing 8 to 10..... but im no expert.

Comment

Working...
                      X