Food Plotting w/ SxS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Plotting w/ SxS

Need some advice from you food plot gurus.

Looking at planting some food plots and food plot screening on my place in SE Oklahoma. All I have is a Kawasaki mule at the moment, but looking to add a small disc to help plant or possibly a roller.

What does everyone recommend?

My thought was to spray gly, disc, broadcast, drag. Or possibly spray gly, broadcast, roll.

Planning to either buy a small disc similar to the groundhog max or a roller similar to this one below.

I have been watching and learning from growing deer tv on YouTube about the Buffalo system, and it has me not wanting to disc.

Thoughts? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might give it a try with cow peas this may

Comment

TTT

Comment

How many acres?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          How many acres?

No more than 2 acres. Probably closer to 1-1.25 ish.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Small disc, save your money on the roller, buy a seed slinger, 12 volt reciever hitch unit. Drag plots smooth with a piece of utility panel. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
                Small disc, save your money on the roller, buy a seed slinger, 12 volt reciever hitch unit. Drag plots smooth with a piece of utility panel. Done.
                The roller is for the buffalo system

Comment

Do your self a favor. Rent or borrow a tractor with a disc. It's far cheaper than a transmission repair on your Mule. Not what you wanted to hear but you asked for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                    Do your self a favor. Rent or borrow a tractor with a disc. It's far cheaper than a transmission repair on your Mule. Not what you wanted to hear but you asked for advice.
                    I vote this as well, discing is very hard on equipment. If I were you I would try the throw and mow method that is talked about on here. You could buy a pull behind mower for the mule and a spreader and good to go.

Comment

Agreed with the above about being hard on my mule and think the spray, throw, and roll method will be a lot easier on my machine. Eventually I'll be purchasing a pull behind mower as well.

Comment

I agree rent a small tractor. Also if you have a high deer density 2 acres will get mowed down to dirt pretty quick.

Comment

If its going to be a first time plot rent you a tractor at a local small equip rental. Once you have a well plowed plot you can do it with a utv for a couple seasons. That first time is tough.

Comment

In my opinion, you will need to spray, disc, and plant the 1st time around on your new plot and then you can terminate that crop and throw and mow in the fall, which will help build up the debris layer to break down in the soil. Adding lime as needed will help also.

The buffalo system is great, but I'm not sure how well it can be accomplished without a drill and crimper. A roller won't work like a crimper to cut the standing vegetation over, but it will help push the seed in the soil after discing.

Comment

Pay someone with a tractor to come in and make a couple passes with a tiller a few weeks after you've mowed and sprayed it. Then the hard part is over.

Here's what I do with a mule:
                              Mow before a rain a month before you want to plant.
                              Wait about a week, spray.
                              Wait about three weeks, have my buddy till it up with his tractor.
                              A day before some good rain forecasts, spread the fertilizer and bigger seeds, disc in with a pull behind disc.
                              Spread the smaller seeds, pack down with a pull behind cultipacker.

Comment

Working...
                              X