Dove Plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dove Plots?

Would two acres be worth messing with on a dove plot? Any suggestions on what to plant? It is in central tx (western bell county). Decent soil, not rocky, but I'm worried about rainfall through the summer.

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
    Would two acres be worth messing with on a dove plot? Any suggestions on what to plant? It is in central tx (western bell county). Decent soil, not rocky, but I'm worried about rainfall through the summer.
    Best dove hunt I ever had was on a two acre plot that got the perfect amount of rain at the perfect time.

Second best hunt ever was on the same spot but I didn't get the plot planted. It was just a dirt and weed field.

I feel like the plots will attract birds but I feel like my years when it does grow I keep birds around longer.

Comment

I'm planning on 3 acres so I say yes

Comment

Do it.

Comment

What you planning to plant?

Comment

We are planning on planting 3 acres with 50% of the turner seed spring dove mix and 50% cowpeas and sun hemp. I was curious to hear what others thought as well and see what they’ve planted and how it did.
            Last edited by bgleaton; 02-11-2019, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I was going to do sunflower, milo, millet. But i'm really not sure so i'd like some input if yall have any suggestions.

Comment

The whitewings love Milo. The morning doves love sunflowers. At least they do at our place in bartlett

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJ View Post
                  I was going to do sunflower, milo, millet. But i'm really not sure so i'd like some input if yall have any suggestions.
                  It's too late to do native sunflowers. They require a freeze to germinate. I don't know think that is the case with some of the other varietals.

Comment

Absolutely. I plant 2-5 acre dove plots and when we have birds, I usually hold the most. I plant black oil and pearl head millet in alternating strips 30’ or so wide

Comment

Penngrain DR Sorghum Dove Candy

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                        It's too late to do native sunflowers. They require a freeze to germinate. I don't know think that is the case with some of the other varietals.
                        We plant in April, and it does just fine as long as it gets rain.

Comment

We try to but the deer always hit it too hard so we have given up on trying to plant for doves

Comment

soghum and hegari - they'll love it

Comment

Sesame & sunflower

Comment

Working...
                              X