Need some arrow advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some arrow advice...

I bought a used Bear Grizzly recurve that came with some carbon arrows. I am having problems with the arrows splitting at the tip. So, now I wonder if these are just cheap arrows, old arrows, or maybe the wrong ones for my setup.

The bow is 55 lbs at 28 inches. The arrows are Carbon Express 4560 with 125 gr points. I shoot it fairly well and they seem to fly well enough, but I want to buy the right arrows when I replace these.

Ideas?

Todd

Are they splitting with field points? Also...what's the spine strength on them?

Comment

Sounds like either the arrows are defective or you're shooting targets that are way too hard... like rocks or something. Perhaps they were cut poorly.

Comment

It's a Rinehart 18-1 target, so just your typical foam target. Not shooting rocks .

The arrows are splitting lengthways to the arrow and I have only used field tips at this point. I have had three arrows do this now. It's just a hairline fracture, but noticeable without a magnifying glass.

I don't know the spine. I'm not really an arrow guru.

Todd

Comment

Todd,

I have used these 3Rivers charts and calculator with very good results on wood and aluminum. I can't help you with carbon.

You need to know your actual draw length and draw weight along with arrow length.

I hope they help. Others here like Stu's calculator. I've never used it.

Comment

If the arrows came with the bow, maybe the previous owner used heat to mount the inserts. Heat and carbon is a bad thing.

Comment

Oops...wrong thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Meloni View Post
                If the arrows came with the bow, maybe the previous owner used heat to mount the inserts. Heat and carbon is a bad thing.
                X2

Comment

The 4560 you are shooting is a 500 spine, you will need a 340 or maybe a 400 spine depending on arrow length. There are spine charts on the arrow boxes that guide you on which arrow to choose.This shouldn't cause the arrow to split though. Check out the Beman mfx in woodgrain w feathers, they come w a 75/50 grain brass insert so u can use a lighter tip. I like them so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Meloni View Post
                    If done incorrectly it can be. If done correctly it's not an issue. Looks like those arrows are underspinned for that setup to me, but I still wouldn't expect them to split.

Matt

Comment

My guess is Ron is right, probably used a torch and hot melt to put the inserts in. In any case, I would probably throw those arrows away. The chance of getting hurt or hurting someone close with a split carbon is just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

They should not be doing that....something is definitly wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by basscast View Post
                        The 4560 you are shooting is a 500 spine, you will need a 340 or maybe a 400 spine depending on arrow length. There are spine charts on the arrow boxes that guide you on which arrow to choose.This shouldn't cause the arrow to split though. Check out the Beman mfx in woodgrain w feathers, they come w a 75/50 grain brass insert so u can use a lighter tip. I like them so far.
                        Carbon Express 4560 are 403 spine.

Comment

Working...
                        X