Mix it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mix it up

To all the remaining clubs out there that are on TBH.

Please mix up the distances. When I say mix it up you have zero to max yards to use. I have fun at all the tournaments shooting and hanging out with good friends. It is a huge beat down shooting max or close to make distance for 30 targets.

I do not speak for ASA or Texas ASA. I speak as one of the competitors who travels the state shooting at your clubs.

All the clubs work hard and I appreciate it. So do all the shooters who show up
    Huge thanks for reading and understanding my point of view

Agreed! Some people think a "good or hard course" means a long course. I on the other hand think a great course is defined by having balance. Short, long...using the shadows, glare, taking the ground away from you, inclines etc.

I always feel like long courses are just a reflection of being lazy. Long isn't always hard and short isn't always easy.

Comment

Hey 2050z, Were you wearing a Bear Archery shirt at the shoot sunday. I thought I recognized you but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbeam145 View Post
        Hey 2050z, Were you wearing a Bear Archery shirt at the shoot sunday. I thought I recognized you but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

yes I was wearing my Bear shirt out there.

Comment

Totally agree!

Thanks for posting this. I was having this conversation Saturday night with another archer. I believe that if you set a range up with different challenges and use all the yardages but still make it where the average joe can score fairly well, he will come back because he has a positive feeling about said range. Take this past weekend at Clifton, that course was "easier" than most that Ive shot and it was still a challenge. I was able to shoot good because it was set up more like true hunting situations.

I have played golf most of my life and was a superintendent at a couple courses in the metroplex and too often other courses would set their course up too hard for the average golfer and it was never a good turn out. If your club is struggling with the economic times and you need more attendence, dont you think if there were a lot of people that shot good at your course they would tell everybody to go there for a fun/good shoot.

Shooting a good score at a tourney will make you want to shoot more.

Sorry for "ranting" just trying to get my point across
          Last edited by D C; 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I agree Tim, I shot my first 3d shoot yesterday and noticed a lot of 24-26yd shots, there were a couple 17 ydr shots but it "seemed" to hover in the mid twenties....

Comment

Our biggest problem is that we share a stake with 9-12 scope shooters. Clubs tend to want to set a little longer shots for these young guns to keep their scores down. I aggree that we need more varied shots. SO WHAT if a kid shoots 20-30 up. All that means is the next shoot , Someones dad will be hearing alot of begging to go shoot.

The best shooters will always rise to the top. They are not the ones keeping the clubs up and running. The average shooter that shoots his best score will return for years to come because of it. If someone misses 5-6 shots or loses2-3 arrows , they will not be coming back when faced with the choice of somewhere they scored well at.

Taking the ground away , shooting diagonally down a lane , not shooting down wide open lanes are all things that can utilize established lanes to reduce the work required while givng the shooter something to think about. Not seeing the legs on a 27 yd shot in the grass is just as difficult if not more than a wide open 40 yd shot.

Shooter friendlier courses and the ability to visit with everyone during the shoot has become more popular this year, especially in the West. I hope this trend continues and evolves throughout the state. There always has to be a few long and hard shots, these seperate the avg. from the better shooters. We just don't need 20-25 of them.

Comment

I have to agree, my max is 40 and I don't remember having much under 35 yards all day long. The back half of the course, in the johnson grass (around 5 thru 14) was too dark for me also.

Not trying to be harsh, trying to be helpful for next time. Left the range feeling very defeated as my score was not worth turning in.

Comment

Well said Todd. That was my point I was making!

Comment

Ditto

Tim, I am glad you finally came out and said what has been said on these ranges for over a year now.
                    Todd- absolutely, but are clubs setting ranges based on those kids? I don't know very many kids that are shooting from the white stake. When you say 9-12 scope shooters, which class (stake color) are you talking about?

Most of the time it seems clubs are setting ranges to compete with each other for who has the longest, and the archers are competing against the range and not each other. When you go around and nearly every group someone walks up to a stake and exclaims "You got to be kidding me!" that is a big sign that the archers are competing against the range. When an entire group finishes the day feeling as TargetTease did (not worth turning in my card), it only hurts archery. It isn't fun feeling like that and after a while, people find something else to do.

As Todd said, it is possible to set a challenging course without maxing the distances on every target. An ideal course has 1/3 easy targets, 1/3 medium targets, and 1/3 difficult targets.

Kudos to the East Texas Stick Slingers for understanding that and making a GREAT course that will challenge a shooter and yet make it fun. Nearly every target I walked up to and said "What a cool shot! Now if I can only figure out the distance!" Over half the targets could not be ground judged and only 5 came close to the max distance for my stake.

Comment

Thanks for posting up shooters. The clubs need to hear all the feedback whether it is positive or constructive.

I am very competitive, but I enjoy seeing my friends at each tournament as well.

Sent from my mobile office using Tapatalk

Comment

All I can say is ---- come check out BCAC! I try to go to other shoots and I try to get feedback from every shooter who comes to our range and from Pistol about other ranges.

BCAC has reduced maximum yardages and since we now set the first 15 with known distances, we are much more conscious of the distances. For each stake, I ask, "Is this something I would like if I was a __ shooter?" Like I would know... But, it helps me keep things in perspective.

We are also experimenting with less distance between targets, since we all know how a long walk can really wear you out on a hot day.

I take a lot of pride in how we set up our ranges and I love to hear feedback. Y'all come out and shoot with us. We will strive to continue to set up the best courses ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                          Tim, I am glad you finally came out and said what has been said on these ranges for over a year now.
                          Todd- absolutely, but are clubs setting ranges based on those kids? I don't know very many kids that are shooting from the white stake. When you say 9-12 scope shooters, which class (stake color) are you talking about?

Most of the time it seems clubs are setting ranges to compete with each other for who has the longest, and the archers are competing against the range and not each other. When you go around and nearly every group someone walks up to a stake and exclaims "You got to be kidding me!" that is a big sign that the archers are competing against the range. When an entire group finishes the day feeling as TargetTease did (not worth turning in my card), it only hurts archery. It isn't fun feeling like that and after a while, people find something else to do.

As Todd said, it is possible to set a challenging course without maxing the distances on every target. An ideal course has 1/3 easy targets, 1/3 medium targets, and 1/3 difficult targets.

Kudos to the East Texas Stick Slingers for understanding that and making a GREAT course that will challenge a shooter and yet make it fun. Nearly every target I walked up to and said "What a cool shot! Now if I can only figure out the distance!" Over half the targets could not be ground judged and only 5 came close to the max distance for my stake.
                          I think the timing was right to make this post. 13 tournaments into the season and I keep wondering if the next shoot will be the exact same.

Todd is talking about the yellow stake. We see a lot shots that are designed for young kids with scopes. Well I do not have scope on my recurve.

I shot Collin County on Saturday with a group of trad shooters. Course had a variety of distances and made for a great time. I shot at a javelina at 8 yards and in my mind I was thinking sweet another ten. Well I shot hot and caught the line for an 8.

My goal for this post is let the other clubs who are still on the schedule to think about shooters and not to see who had the toughest and longest course in Texas.
                          Last edited by 2050z; 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

2050 z, dccytclr, and Pistol I totally agree with ya...on everything, sometimes the closer targerts are more difficult than the max distance targets. I know clubs want to save their targets by putting them OUT THERE to keep from shooting them up, but there needs to be a variety of distances through out the course. Look at what Kyle and the East Texas Stick slingers did on their last shoot this past Sat, even the close ones in the tunnels were tough, it was a very good shoot really made you think before you shot, but you didn't walk up and shake you head and go "look at this crap" or "can you believe it again".

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! The last thing we want to do is disappoint anyone or cause any regrets. We at Texins will strive to improve the balance of our course in the future!

Comment

Working...
                              X