Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ruger LC9S vs. Taurus Slim 709 best buy ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger LC9S vs. Taurus Slim 709 best buy ??

Which do you prefer and state why please?
    Both are 9mm
    Both are Striker Fire
    Weight difference 1-2oz empty

These are my 2 choices I've narrowed down to for a pistol
    In my price range, need Amy pros and cons y'all have
    Thank you for the input

Taurus make low quality pistols. I know others will be along shortly to say otherwise. The Ruger is a much better option. Neither is made for high volume shooting, but that is not what these kind of pistols are made for.

For a little more money I would strongly suggest you look at the S&W Shield.

Comment

going to hold off for now

Comment

Never had any issues with any Taurus or Ruger....

I have pt740 slim and it has never missed a beat

Comment

Had the slim and inspite of Cabelas policy not to take back guns... They took that one back! Serious reliability issue. YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post
            Taurus make low quality pistols. I know others will be along shortly to say otherwise. The Ruger is a much better option. Neither is made for high volume shooting, but that is not what these kind of pistols are made for.

For a little more money I would strongly suggest you look at the S&W Shield.
            EXACTLY what I would say.

I've seen more Taurus handguns fail than I can count. They are simply an inferior gun.
            Most people that love Taurus don't shoot very often. (Taurus guys, please don't take it personally)

The Ruger is a better gun but not by much. If those are absolutely the only two you will ever consider, get the Ruger. The striker fired version has a slightly better trigger but it still SUCKS. I would strongly urge you to reconsider.

For guns in that price range and size, look at the Shield. Far better gun, far better reliability, better built, better trigger, the gun simply works. Plus I know where you can get one for $360.

Is something you're going to trust your life to really the thing to skimp out on. I'd trust my life to a Shield. I trust my wife's life to it.

For a gun that's going to be used for serious use (I'd say CC is serious use. You want it to work don't you?) I personally want something that has the highest probability of success and the lowest probability of failure (within reason of course.) Any mechanical device can and will fail. If you're gun has never malfunctioned you haven't shot it enough.

I'm not saying it won't fail, but what I am saying is that it has a far greater chance of working when it absolutely has to as opposed to the other 2 mentioned.

You can't eliminate every possible thing that could go wrong. But by equipment selection and training you can mitigate a great deal of it.

Ike
            Last edited by BigTex.308; 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM.

Comment

If those two are the only ones you are considering (for whatever reason) I would go with the Ruger strictly based off my negative experiences with Taurus. However neither of those would be my first choice.

Comment

Ruger. I had one for awhile and it was fine.

Comment

This coming from a huge ruger fan (heck, even my dog is named ruger after the brand!):

Shoot both and see which one you like. I absolutely hated the ruger and ended up with the taurus 709 slim. I love ruger guns but the lc9 felt horrible in my hand.

I have been nothing but pleased with my Taurus and their warranty can't be beat! My dad dropped his by accident and broke the sight. He called and told them what happened and that he wanted to order a new one. They wouldn't let him pay for it and shipped him a new one.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

replied

Comment

S&W BodyGuard 380 on a good day runs $300 $360 with a built in laser. I bought one a few weeks ago from another TBHer but honestly haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but the quality seems good.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post
                          Taurus make low quality pistols.
                          Absolutely incorrect! They are low in price but not quality. I dont know your personal experience with them but 90% of the people that say this have never owned one. I have owned 8 taurus pistols over the course of 24 years and have never had a problem with any of them. I still own most of them and my edc is one chambered in .45. I own glocks as well and love both.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                            Absolutely incorrect! They are low in price but not quality. I dont know your personal experience with them but 90% of the people that say this have never owned one. I have owned 8 taurus pistols over the course of 24 years and have never had a problem with any of them. I still own most of them and my edc is one chambered in .45. I own glocks as well and love both.

I've have them three pitches and they struck out every single time.

1 revolver and 2 semi autos.

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                              I agree.... Keep 'em clean and "most if not all" will perform.
                              Here I go...could not resist so waiting for the "experts" to bash us both

Comment

Working...
                              X