Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good Jason Fry.

Wife and I made it to the Pedernales River yesterday and I picked up about 50#'s of rock before my diverticulosis kicked in and I landed I bed after a med stop visit for meds. Second time I got it when down here. Eating tooooo much Mexican chow I guess.

Comment

Played with some more rock this afternoon. Made lots of small pieces out of big pieces. Nothing to show for it except a bucket of sharp gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
        Played with some more rock this afternoon. Made lots of small pieces out of big pieces. Nothing to show for it except a bucket of sharp gravel.
        I tried some yesterday, broke everything I touched! My wife saved a really nice piece by telling me it was supper time! Maybe tomorrow?

Comment

Well, another less than productive day Thursday. I'm heading home from work in just a few minutes and will post some pics when I get home.

Comment

Twins arrived safely Monday, and came home from the hospital Thursday. Needless to say I haven't had a knap or a nap much lately.

Comment

Twins arrived safely Monday, and came home from the hospital Thursday. Needless to say I haven't had a knap or a nap much lately.
              Excellent! Congrats!!!!

Comment

So, like I said the other day wasn't very productive. Here is what I was working on, a piece of plate glass.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_174903.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	24488898

Comment

Well crud. Just found out I need to go do some "chores" One more quick pic. then I'll get some more up later. Things were going good and I made it to this point of getting all the flat sides flaked of and started on a rough shape. More to follow.

Name:	20170309_155022.jpg
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	24488900

Comment

Yeah, last time I knapped I turned some of your nice sized pieces of glass into some tiny pieces of glass I did figure out that hitting off your leg with a pad gives a much better angle and throws shallower but longer thinning flakes than the technique I had been using.

Comment

Yeah, last time I knapped I turned some of your nice sized pieces of glass into some tiny pieces of glass I did figure out that hitting off your leg with a pad gives a much better angle and throws shallower but longer thinning flakes than the technique I had been using.
                      I usually do 98% pressure flaking when working with "slabs" of pieces of glass. Glass and obsidian are really brittle. Percussion is still too hard for me to really have control of it and usually breaks the piece. Switch over to just pressure flaking it. Plenty of videos on knapping slabs out there.

Comment

Ok. Things rocked along really well on this glass point I was working! I managed one of the best tips I've done in a really long time! So, I was trying to be super careful to not damage the tip and provide really good support while I started notching. I "stalled" my notch once on the first side and managed to get it going again. We still need to set platforms when we notch they are just much smaller and have to be careful of the sides of our notches. So, things are Really looking good! Its looking like the best point I've done in a while!!!! Quick get a picture before something happens!

Name:	20170309_164449.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	24488902

Really excited how it is going! Extra careful with support and how I'm positioning and holding the point. Setting platforms carefully, Dang! Chipped an ear off my notch now its going to be a little wider than I wanted. Its still ok, kept working second notch and....... Dang It!!!! Break one ear off! Not sure what I did? Thought I had good support, holding it right, good platform. I could see the whole thing happen. Everything seemed right, notching tool in place, started building inward pressure and it just snapped?

Name:	20170309_165324.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	24488903

Name:	20170309_165316.jpg
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	24488904
                        I might try and save it by changing the base I was going for, but I had to set it down and walk away for a little while!

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                          I might try and save it by changing the base I was going for, but I had to set it down and walk away for a little while!
                          @#%$%! Hate it when that happens. I'll try more pressure flaking and less percussion on the next glass batch.

Comment

Those things happen, all the time to me, lol.

Bassmat, package will be sent when we get back home. We are trying to negotiate this weather thing right now. Still in Texas tho.

Comment

We've covered platforms a little earlier in the thread and since I just broke a point trying to notch and talked about notching some lets go into a little more details.
                              Remember this is just what I know and there are many better and more skilled knappers out there.
                              We still need platfoms when notching, here I'm trying to illustrate what I mean. Imagine this as a cross section of your point running right up the middle of the notch. The green lines are what the platform angles should look like, and the yellow is the direction of force applied by our tool.

Name:	platform.png
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	24488940

This platform is very small and not extremely strong and easy to crush or "stall" making the angles wrong and flake removal impossible.
                              In this illustration I'm trying to show how the angle has been changed to what I see when I mess up notching platforms.

Name:	platform - Copy.png
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	24488941
                              Last edited by bassmatt72; 03-12-2017, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Stand by..... working on pics.?

Comment

Working...
                                X