Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx
Default Calling predator hunters

Starting a new thread for all predator hunters out here in Texas. Could be a tutorial whatís working for you, what you do, what equipment is working etc !!! And go !
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:46 PM   #2
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

I wanna go predator hunting, need a cat for the wall....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Here ✋��
boh347 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

I'm in!
Flint knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I predator hunt in Oklahoma,Kansas and Texas,do I still count?
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

We already have one of these... Will link it shortly

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #7
Quanah11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

In!
Quanah11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
Tye
Ten Point

In to learn as much as I can
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
breadman
Eight Point

im in
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
dbpredator
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lamar county

In! Beginner here and don't go out often but I go out occasionally, usually unsuccessful so I'm in to learn!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
dbpredator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

I actually enjoy predator hunting at night almost as much as hunting deer. We are using thermals and electronic calls, but still have a lot to learn!

We have been successful on Fox, Coyote and Bobcat with electronics and thermals, but it is real hit and miss. Would like to become more proficient.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
We already have one of these... Will link it shortly

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Yes but it donít come up anymore. Kansas oklahoma you count. Kinda lol
Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #13
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchntr View Post
I wanna go predator hunting, need a cat for the wall....

I got you covered the 30th
Old 09-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
Iehooligan11b
Ten Point

In to learn as well. Been wanting to get into predator hunting for a few years now.
Iehooligan11b is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #15
fish_n1
Four Point

Watch your wind!!! Start off calling soft for anything that is close then get loud. Keep your head on the swivel but really look for path of least resistance to the call. Be patent sometimes it takes a while for something to come in.
fish_n1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #16
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post
I got you covered the 30th

And a javi to put on the pedestal with my big deer!

hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #17
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_n1 View Post
Watch your wind!!! Start off calling soft for anything that is close then get loud. Keep your head on the swivel but really look for path of least resistance to the call. Be patent sometimes it takes a while for something to come in.
I like this I always watch my wind and the down side of it. Even my approach is wind knowledgeable. I like to walk into my areas and start not a fan of highracks. Rabbit distress isnít the only thing to play
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes but it donít come up anymore. Kansas oklahoma you count. Kinda lol
So you already read all 500+ posts in that thread? The thing is a gold mine of information. Why repost the same things that have all been laid out already once?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
So you already read all 500+ posts in that thread? The thing is a gold mine of information. Why repost the same things that have all been laid out already once?

I actually did reall ALL 500 posts of it. If your not going to contribute move along. Research how many 6.5 creedmoor posts there are
Old 09-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #20
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

I am in. Went quite a lot working up North for 4 years. Getting back going down here soon. Good practice for off season

jbhunting39 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #21
hoyt21
Ten Point

I run a fox pro hammer jack
Primos shooting sticks
Wicked light just ordered a new sniper hawg light
Rem 700 vssf 220 swift 55 gr v max
Rem 700 Vs 223 55 gr v max
Rem 700 22 creedmoor 60 gr v max
Use to run a Rem 700 vssf 204. Good for cats.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #22
RShockley
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Add another in for learning. Anyone, preferably in the DFW area, interested in taking someone under their wing to teach the ropes. I’m not afraid of hard work to get the job done and know how to keep my mouth shut about locations.
RShockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #23
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
I actually did reall ALL 500 posts of it. If your not going to contribute move along. Research how many 6.5 creedmoor posts there are
Fair enough lol.

Daytime calling post # one of the above linked thread nails it.

For night calling predators we always use a high seat. Set up basically same as you do during the day but can get away with hiding in the wide open on dark nights. Have to be sneakier on those full moon nights. You will stick out like a sore thumb other wise.

I always pull up to a spot I want to call and like to wait a minute or 2 before getting out and setup. And when setting up try to be quiet but hard to do with 4 guys in and out of a truck. Once up top and everyone is settled turn the lights on first before anything else and get a lay of the land. Killed quite a few critters during this time and never even had to turn the call on. Once lights are on I never turn them off. Had to many foxes and coyotes suicide run the truck and literally were shot within 20-30 seconds of being spotted and were less than 50 yards from the truck. So don't shut the light off you never know what you missed that came hauling in and out in the 2-3 minutes it was off. Like mentioned above start sound as quiet as you can and then slowly work sound up. I usually start with a rabbit sound swap to a fox distress or bird sound in the middle and then back to a rabbit sound again using 5 to 7 minute runs per sound. If I am getting lots of hits on the jack rabbit sounds I will stick with that the rest of the night. If it is cotton tail will stick with that. Grey fox distress though is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds. Everything eats them and foxes will respond to it like crazy even on slow nights when nothing else is working. Most stand I am calling it around the 15-20 minute mark. But if I am after a cat will sit till around the 30 minute mark. Most animals it seems both day and night for me are shot around the 8-12 minute period. But have killed them everywhere in between from as quickly as 30 seconds after turning on the call up to 35-40 minutes in.

I will also say that having good quality lights has increased my effectiveness in killing animals significantly a lightforce spotlight was my main squeeze for a bit but now running 2 of the sniper 66lrx handhelds in red and loving it. But killed them for years under cheap cyclops white lights.

Oh and I can not understate how important it is that you need to be able to SHOOT. This isn't deer hunting and you can't approach it the same. You need to be able to see the target, aquire it in the scope, and then make a good shot on it from field positions quickly and accurately. Many times that first 15 seconds of him standing still is all your going to get so you better be able to take it but don't miss him either. This comes from having an accurate gun and being proficient with it. Best thing I ever did was get a flat shooting .204 that shoots bug hole groups and takes all of the guess work out of it for me. No more thinking about it now to kill an animal just point and shoot and within 300 yards it is toast. A good set of sticks also helps a ton and then go out and practice off of them to get good at shooting off them. Then when it comes time to go hunt you are familiar with them and already know what to expect and how to manipulate them to get the shot you need in a hurry.

Sorry for the long winded post. Think I covered most everything, and this is just the method I use not the gospel and it evolves over time as I hunt and learn more as the years pass and hunt with other experienced hunters and pick up tips and tricks along the way.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 PM   #24
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Fair enough lol.

Daytime calling post # one of the above linked thread nails it.

For night calling predators we always use a high seat. Set up basically same as you do during the day but can get away with hiding in the wide open on dark nights. Have to be sneakier on those full moon nights. You will stick out like a sore thumb other wise.

I always pull up to a spot I want to call and like to wait a minute or 2 before getting out and setup. And when setting up try to be quiet but hard to do with 4 guys in and out of a truck. Once up top and everyone is settled turn the lights on first before anything else and get a lay of the land. Killed quite a few critters during this time and never even had to turn the call on. Once lights are on I never turn them off. Had to many foxes and coyotes suicide run the truck and literally were shot within 20-30 seconds of being spotted and were less than 50 yards from the truck. So don't shut the light off you never know what you missed that came hauling in and out in the 2-3 minutes it was off. Like mentioned above start sound as quiet as you can and then slowly work sound up. I usually start with a rabbit sound swap to a fox distress or bird sound in the middle and then back to a rabbit sound again using 5 to 7 minute runs per sound. If I am getting lots of hits on the jack rabbit sounds I will stick with that the rest of the night. If it is cotton tail will stick with that. Grey fox distress though is quickly becoming one of my favorite sounds. Everything eats them and foxes will respond to it like crazy even on slow nights when nothing else is working. Most stand I am calling it around the 15-20 minute mark. But if I am after a cat will sit till around the 30 minute mark. Most animals it seems both day and night for me are shot around the 8-12 minute period. But have killed them everywhere in between from as quickly as 30 seconds after turning on the call up to 35-40 minutes in.

I will also say that having good quality lights has increased my effectiveness in killing animals significantly a lightforce spotlight was my main squeeze for a bit but now running 2 of the sniper 66lrx handhelds in red and loving it. But killed them for years under cheap cyclops white lights.

Oh and I can not understate how important it is that you need to be able to SHOOT. This isn't deer hunting and you can't approach it the same. You need to be able to see the target, aquire it in the scope, and then make a good shot on it from field positions quickly and accurately. Many times that first 15 seconds of him standing still is all your going to get so you better be able to take it but don't miss him either. This comes from having an accurate gun and being proficient with it. Best thing I ever did was get a flat shooting .204 that shoots bug hole groups and takes all of the guess work out of it for me. No more thinking about it now to kill an animal just point and shoot and within 300 yards it is toast. A good set of sticks also helps a ton and then go out and practice off of them to get good at shooting off them. Then when it comes time to go hunt you are familiar with them and already know what to expect and how to manipulate them to get the shot you need in a hurry.

Sorry for the long winded post. Think I covered most everything, and this is just the method I use not the gospel and it evolves over time as I hunt and learn more as the years pass and hunt with other experienced hunters and pick up tips and tricks along the way.

I donít know many predator hunters down here so Iíve been lucky enough to meet a few of what I call good hunters and it has helped me a lot. Last dog I shot came it at the 24 min. Titmouse
Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #25
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Will also add probably a solid 85% of critters I shoot with my rifle are shot with the scope at the lowest power or 4.5 on my scope. And that includes a bunch of them between 200-300 yards. I will crank it up and zoom in if one has hung up and isn't moving to get a good solid shot on him. But only if time and the situation allows it, seen to many critters escape from people screwing with trying to zoom in there scope or have a yote pop out at 50 yards and can't find it in the 14 power scope. Lowest power setting can be shot close or far and much quicker aquisation of the critter in the scope compared to having the scope cranked all the way up.

Again use your discretion but this is what I have learned over the years and watched several dogs escape from screwing with the scope so been doing it this way for last couple years and my called to killed ratio has improved ever since.

Last edited by westtexducks; 09-26-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #26
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
I actually enjoy predator hunting at night almost as much as hunting deer. We are using thermals and electronic calls, but still have a lot to learn!

We have been successful on Fox, Coyote and Bobcat with electronics and thermals, but it is real hit and miss. Would like to become more proficient.
Predator hunting in Texas is my vice. Can't get enough of it and will hunt deer and other stuff but nothing like the rush of shooting a hard charging fox or coyote 15 steps from the truck at night or right at your feet during the day. First time you shoot a coyote at 15-20 feet from you your hooked for life. We haven't really started up hot and heavy yet in my area but it is quickly getting to be that time of year where we start shooting them heavily.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #27
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Predator hunting in Texas is my vice. Can't get enough of it and will hunt deer and other stuff but nothing like the rush of shooting a hard charging fox or coyote 15 steps from the truck at night or right at your feet during the day. First time you shoot a coyote at 15-20 feet from you your hooked for life. We haven't really started up hot and heavy yet in my area but it is quickly getting to be that time of year where we start shooting them heavily.

Yes Iím Deep South and itís starting to get good I keep my scope at 7 if I can and hammer the zoom if I can. I started this thread to just basically talk predators. I like red lights
Old 09-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
okrattler
Pope & Young

Depending on who I'm hunting with we use lights from a high rack or thermal from the ground. As far as success rate and which has the bigger advantage I think thermal wins hands down. But the downside is obviously not everyone can afford thermal,including me.

Up here predator huntin at night is against the law so 90 percent of the predators I kill are in the day light.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-26-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #29
Quanah11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
In to learn as well. Been wanting to get into predator hunting for a few years now.
Hit me up bud
Once I get over these VA surgeries in your guy. Predator hunting is my main hunting I have a few ranches across the state I have access to
Quanah11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 10:44 PM   #30
amcalister04
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis, hardeman, lampasas

In
amcalister04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #31
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

I actually love the thermals for hogs and predator hunting when I am alone or just two people. I also usually sit in the stand after dark with the thermal and call for anything around while waiting on my ride back to camp.

I would like to be part of a team entering one of the big predator hunts in TX. This would help with calling as well as getting away from the thermal advantage.

Most folks think buy a thermal scope and you are good. That is not the case, they will still see and wind you before your scan turns them up unless they just come straight at the call. All of our thermal kills on Bobcats have been call charges. Coyote can be tough close in, fox are like shooting rabbit.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 PM   #32
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIC- View Post
I actually love the thermals for hogs and predator hunting when I am alone or just two people. I also usually sit in the stand after dark with the thermal and call for anything around while waiting on my ride back to camp.

I would like to be part of a team entering one of the big predator hunts in TX. This would help with calling as well as getting away from the thermal advantage.

Most folks think buy a thermal scope and you are good. That is not the case, they will still see and wind you before your scan turns them up unless they just come straight at the call. All of our thermal kills on Bobcats have been call charges. Coyote can be tough close in, fox are like shooting rabbit.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
I agree. Although I've never killed a fox or bobcat using thermal I know coyotes aren't as easy to kill with thermal as people think. In my opinion it's no different than shooting them during the day. They can see at night so it's one of those deals where you can't get away with a lot of movement. When you're hunting with a light the light is your camouflage. That's why once I start scanning I don't like to shut the light off until we've decided to move to a different spot.

I've seen guys scan with the light for a while and turn it off. That can work for bobcats because they're a little more inquisitive. They'll find a place to sit down and watch the call a lot of times. A coyote or fox could move in and be gone by the time you scan again.

Also I don't like the call or the guy shining the scan light very far away from me if I'm on the gun. If either one is too far away you can't see the eyes shining.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-26-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:58 AM   #33
Lonewolf
Four Point

Hunt In: Young and Palo Pinto counties

I'm in.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #34
DWA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo pinto Johnson counties and Sonora

I'll shoot coyotes if I happen to call them in. But I specifically go after cats and fox most of the time I'll hunt them from the high rack but most catty places require sitting on the ground. To add to the fun mainly only use a shotgun. I've killed way more cats than I've killed coyotes in the past 4 to 5 years. To me just something about calling in a big Tom. Into shotgun range. I like them because are un predictable. They will pop up anywhere and do anything. I've had them just sit. I've had them sprint in like a fox. Always different.

Cats- small properties are great.
Thick cover around dried creeks
Brush piles
Wind doesnt matter
Use fast paced bird sounds. I like Tony Tebbe
sounds that fox pro put out.
Called in most right before dark.
Because of their thin skin and beautiful hide
Smaller predator rifles shine. Ie 22 hornet 22 mag
I prefer a semi auto 12 gauge with thehornady
coyote load of BB or regular #4 buckshot with a
modified choke.

I stay away from the NV and thermal when calling predators. Yes its cheating lol. That's why most tourneys dont allow them. I would rather spot eyes across a field and get them in close. When I was a kid I would shoot at coyotes in the next county if I could see them under a red lense. 50 yards and in are the name of the game now. I still want a called coyote with my bow.

Last edited by DWA; 09-27-2018 at 05:52 AM.
DWA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #35
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

I’ll add.

Sometimes less is better.
If I’m coyote country I’ll have silent pauses in my sets. So if I’m calling for 20 minutes it’ll usually go like this. 5 min low volume, 2.5 silence, 5 min medium volume, 2.5 silence, and then I’ll usually go loud at the end.
March in coyote country I’ll play a lot of pup distress.
I use a lot of tony tebbes sounds.
boh347 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #36
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

When scanning with a light, I move it fast. Eyes pop out like crazy. Once you are on eyes, keep the light above it just enough to keep them illuminated. By keeping the light on them, they are coming in blinded. They will still come unless they are over pressured. If the eyes are slow and steady, it’s a cat. If they are bouncing all over the place, most likely a fox. Coyotes bounce too but not as much as fox typically.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #37
hoyt21
Ten Point

What was everyoneís first successful predator call and kill?
Old 09-27-2018, 08:03 AM   #38
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
What was everyoneís first successful predator call and kill?
Bobcat is the first thing I ever called in by myself. Missed at 25 yards with a .223....I needed a shotgun that day. Second was a bobcat I called in and killed at 35 yards with a .223. He came in,in about 45 minutes if I remember right. There for quite a while I killed way more bobcats than I did coyotes. I don't really know what I started doing different but I started shooting more coyotes and still do.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #39
hoyt21
Ten Point

My first time out the Ranch I guided on bought a fox pro coyotes were out of hand. It was for client use. Well no one was using it so one after noon while dove hunter were out I said screw I’ll take it. Went and sat started call of course on a rabbit place had bunches of them. About 4 mins in a bobcat come flying out of the side of the Sendero and pounces on the decoy. Shot him. Picked up moved spots called again. At 25 mins I cut the call off to move again. A huge bobcat comes out to decoy shoot him he ran off. Was using a 17hmr at the time. Hooked ever since. Shot 4 cats and 5 dogs that season. Only time I would call was between groups. I never mentioned the Ranch had a call to the clients after that it was mine lol.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #40
nativeaustin
Four Point

Hunt In: Seguin

After deer hunting I turned on my Johnny Stewart CD player. It had a speaker on a long cable. We were shutting windows and loading up when I shined the light out one more time. I looked out of the scope and it was a bobcat about 40 yards from us. This is the part most of you won't like. I asked my girlfriend whose parents ranch we were hunting on if I should shoot it and she said she I could if I wanted to. I thought it was pretty cool looking and didn't shoot it.
nativeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #41
okrattler
Pope & Young

It's kind of surprising to me that people even predator hunt in Texas more than a few times a year since The West Texas Big Bobcat Contest has taken off the way it has.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #42
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
It's kind of surprising to me that people even predator hunt in Texas more than a few times a year since The West Texas Big Bobcat Contest has taken off the way it has.
For me itís really the only hunting I do now for myself. Iíd rather day hunt than night. I love to be able to watch whatís going on
Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #43
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
For me itís really the only hunting I do now for myself. Iíd rather day hunt than night. I love to be able to watch whatís going on
I'll hunt birds and deer with my buddies but I'd rather be calling predators up than just about anything else. I think not being able to legally night hunt where I live makes night hunting that much more fun to me when I'm able to do it. Plus I feel like that's an opportunity to see a variety of things you don't normally call in during the day so you never really know what's going to show up. I think if I were able to hunt bobcats at night here I'd call in and kill way more than I do. It's kind of a hit and miss deal during the day.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:44 PM   #44
300rem7
Eight Point

I deer hunt but hogs and predators are a lot more fun.

Remington 204 32gr.
Savage 22-250 55gr.
Remington 6.5 140gr.
300rem7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #45
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

Man I miss varmint hunting! I use to go all the time but haven't in a few years. One thing that I always had success with when something would get hung up and wouldn't come in well enough for a shot was a mouse squeaker. I still have one in the door of my truck so when I am driving around in the pasture and see a varmint to get it to stop long enough for a shot.
Always use a red lens and keep it on them when you see eyes. It doesn't hurt to have 2 lights going at a time. Be quick to shoot they may not stay in for a perfect shot.
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 02:11 PM   #46
hoyt21
Ten Point

One thing I’ve been wanting to try is to put up a cedar post with bark on it along a Sendero and see if cats will use it as a scratching post. More of a recon use.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #47
Iehooligan11b
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanah11 View Post
Hit me up bud
Once I get over these VA surgeries in your guy. Predator hunting is my main hunting I have a few ranches across the state I have access to
Absolutely brotha. Will do.
Iehooligan11b is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #48
hoyt21
Ten Point

This was the last cat I shot and my personal best. 30.5#
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #49
okrattler
Pope & Young

A pretty important tip to remember for anyone that's just starting out particularly hunting at night is be sure of what you're shooting at before you shoot at it. Don't just shoot at eyes shining. Deer and cattle will come to the sound of a rabbit dying. I know that seems like common sense but I also know how powerful adrenaline is and how deceiving things can be in the dark. Your mind might tell your eyes there's a bobcat out there looking at you. But you might walk up on a doe that was laying in tall weeds when you go out there to get it.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #50
hoyt21
Ten Point

Learned something this weekend. One wait a little while after you turn off call. Starting with a howl attracts dog. Don’t be afraid to lip squeak at them if you catch them before the calls started. Called in 6 dogs. Two during the day at 9 am and two cats at night.