New Hunter Questions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Hunter Questions:

When you take a buck what needs to be done with the head? The rack is not going to fit in the cooler.

What needs to be done to preserve the animals head if you want to have it mounted?

How much time can pass from dead animal to animal under ice? I expect to have about a .5 to 1 mile walk/drag back to my truck; last year SHNF temps average high was about 90F for most of October.

1. You'll need to keep the head for sex identification until the deer reaches its final destination. You can cut it off and put it in a plastic bag if it's a doe or a buck you don't plan on mounting.

2. Euro mount or shoulder? With a euro, nothing special, but keeping it on ice and out of the sun will help keep it from funking up. Get it to a taxi as quick as you can. With a shoulder mount, you'll need to cape it out. Same steps to preserve it, just keep it on ice (but not directly touching ice, like in a bag in a cooler) and get it to a taxi as quick as you can.

3. You've got plenty of time. You can field dress it where it lays to help bring the internal temperatures down and lessen the chance of the meat spoiling. If you aren't going to quarter it yourself, throw a bag of ice in the empty cavity and get it to a processor

If I missed something or if there's a better alternate to one of the items above, someone will come along to help.
    Last edited by HoustonHunter; 07-20-2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

You keep the head no matter what sex. I know he said buck but title says new hunter question also.

Comment

My best advice to you is to hook up with a TBHer that will be hunting your area and partner up. I would bet there are some guys on here that would take you under their wing. If you get a deer down an honest 2 miles from a road, a partner is a real advantage. Also just for safety, a partner is good to have. You might want to get you a game cart to start with.

We can give you pages of advice on how to care for a downed animal but someone to walk you through it is so much better.

Comment

If its 90+ outside you do need to get the meat on ice as quickly as you can. Field dress asap. If you have a mile or so to travel, and you don't have or can't use a game cart, I would either quarter it up in the field and back pack it out. or cut it in half and make two trips. Either will be faster and less exhausting than trying to drag a buck for a mile. Also, If its hot out don't put anything in trash bags, it will spoil faster.

Then just cape it out and keep cool until it gets to the taxi. Or you can buy a large cooler if your not comfortable with your caping skills.

Comment

Working...
          X