Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 minute hunt........(a "Cutters Anyone" followup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15 minute hunt........(a "Cutters Anyone" followup)

A week ago Wednesday the last thing on my mind was being able to get home early enough to hunt. Well by some miracle I got home at 3:45pm and had time to take a quick shower and get on stand by 4:15pm.

As I was walking to my stand I see something standing under my feeder. Hmmm.....that really doesn't look like a deer......"HOLY SMOKES!That is a pig"........about the time it registered in my brain he saw me and took off in a hurry. I guessed he was about 100lbs. I dropped my stuff and ran back to the house to tell Bones that I had a pig at the feeder. Pigs aren't out of the question at my place, but in 15 years of hunting and using trailcams since they first came out, I have never seen a pig at my feeder in the daylight. They have always shown up in the middle of the night. The first thing Bones says is to turn the dogs loose. I tell him no because I am trying to put some venison in the freezer. After a few minutes I hustle back to the stand and climb into my pop up and settle in for an afternoon hunt. I look at the time and it is 4:35pm. Well no more than 10 minutes later here comes "Vato" (a picture below will explain the nickname) wandering back into the feeder. Good thing I put out some hand corn, because the feeder doesn't go off for another 30 minutes.

He starts munching on corn but is quarting too me and I also realized I had underestimated his size. Now I am thinking he will easily go over 200lbs and he has some nice cutters. Well he finally gives me a broadside view and I know it is time to feed him a Easton Axis ST400 tipped with an 85grain Slick Trick.

I raised my Hoyt and drew back the 56lbs of fury. I locked my 20 yard pin on his shoulder and let the arrow fly. I saw about half the arrow sticking out and knew I had made the perfect shot for a short tracking job. I watched him crash into the brush and then I heard him fall over. I climbed out of the blind and headed up to the house to tell Bones what happened and that I was gonna go ahead and hunt until dark to see if a doe would come in since the feeder still won't go off for another 15 minutes or so.

I head back to the stand to hunt and wait to collect my prize. 5:30pm rolls around and I just can't stand it anymore. I get out of the blind to go look for the pig and he is laying about 12 yards from where I shot him deader than a door nail.......I head back up to the house and grab Bones to help me drag him out of the woods and get him hung and gutted.

I don't see many pigs around my place, but when I do they are usually large boars with cutters. This dude has been doing a lot of fighting for sure. His skin on his lower jaw was peeled back about 3 inches and hanging down like a Gotee (sp?) and already healing back up. He also a couple of nasty cuts on his shoulder. I have the trail cam going in hopes of seeing the boar that caused all this damage.

Sweet, Glad to see a few more pics of that nasty lil BOAR.

Comment

Nice hog!

Comment

Rough looking dude. Good teeth on him too.

Comment

Very nice boar! He deserves a euro mount at least! congrats

Comment

Originally posted by dccytclr View Post
            Very nice boar! He deserves a euro mount at least! congrats
            X2

Comment

Good shooting. Very impressive to bring down an animal that size and have it run less than 15 yards from where you stuck him. Did you hit him right in the pump station?

Comment

Thats definately a good one.... Congratulations

Comment

That's one nasty hog that didn't care much about his hygiene. congrats Will!

Comment

Nice boar congrats

Comment

Wow, that is a nasty looking hog. Congrats and good write up.

Comment

way to go Will!

Comment

That's a very nice boar. I hope you get to kill the one that injured him. Congrats.

Comment

hip hip hooray!
                            gotta' love a trophy hill country boar!

Comment

Congrats on a cool looking boar, Will!

Comment

Working...
                              X