No announcement yet.

Shockwave lithotripsy for stones.. who's done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask the urologist. I asked the er dr for it after my buddy who has passed prob over 200 stones told me about it. He said studies show it doesn’t really help. That was the 2nd trip to the ER. Saw urologist couple days later and got it from him. Passed a few days later. Mine took 9 days to pass. I feel for you it’s the worst pain I’ve ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
      Remember what the difference in cost was on your EOB between the 2 procedures? I know they'll be different for me trying to get cash prices but I'm worried about what the total costs will be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      I don’t remember what the difference was. It would have been less expensive if the lithotripsy would have worked. I had all kinds of problems with my insurance because they didn’t want to cover their part of both procedures. My deductible is high anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
        Man I don't, call your urologist and ask him for a prescription. It relaxes your urinary tract and lets the stones slide on out.
        My urologist does have me on over the counter potassium citrate. It supposedly makes your urine where it's harder for stones to form. I get it at Walmart
        Yeah i wish things had played out better. I was rushing before the weekend trying to get things lined out in hopes that i would have something planned before riding out the weekend unsure and in pain. Didn't work out but hopefully come Monday I'll get some answers and be able to have a good and known course of action. Last night was rough and today is just as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
          Ask the urologist. I asked the er dr for it after my buddy who has passed prob over 200 stones told me about it. He said studies show it doesn’t really help. That was the 2nd trip to the ER. Saw urologist couple days later and got it from him. Passed a few days later. Mine took 9 days to pass. I feel for you it’s the worst pain I’ve ever had.

If i ever see that urologist feom hospital again I'll likey make him remember me. I couldn't even get him to do another scan of any kind to see if it moved. He just told me it had to be in my bladder by now and he was late for surgery, and sent me home. Turned out that my ease of pain was the build up of a lot of morphine. Don't know what the dose was but they said it was high and took 24 hours to really start working

Comment

The thing is each stone is a little different and each persons experience of success and failure is going to vary. I had lithotripsy on one and it didn’t completely bust it up but it did get it small enough that it started moving and eventually a week later was gone.
            You need a good urologist. They can gauge what would be the best approach.
            Also you can negotiate a cash price for treatment. It’s surprising how much less it can be sometimes.

Comment

They did the same thing to me the 2nd time. All they care about is making you comfortable with meds and sending you on your way. If they gave you tylonal 3 they didn’t much for me when the pain was bad. Urologist Gave me some hydrocone 10mg worked much better

Comment

I sent to my buddy for his opinion. He has suffered with them his whole life. He pretty much walked me through it when it happen to me. It was my 1st and hope my last

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
                  The thing is each stone is a little different and each persons experience of success and failure is going to vary. I had lithotripsy on one and it didn’t completely bust it up but it did get it small enough that it started moving and eventually a week later was gone.
                  You need a good urologist. They can gauge what would be the best approach.
                  Also you can negotiate a cash price for treatment. It’s surprising how much less it can be sometimes.
                  Yeah i went to my urologist that did my vasectomy and handles my testosterone therapy. I have confidence in him and he definitely took his time talking about options, especially considering they just squeezed me in without an appointment. He told me there was around a 40% chance it would pass on it's own and that shock waves may not work, so which route is totally up to me. But they also use outside facilities for the procedures. To top it off, their main scheduler is on vacation til the 24th and she's the only one that really knows how to set me up and get quotes to determine cash prices. The other girl was filling in and clueless. At this point, being 6mm, if it could break it down to 3mm and pass, I'd be happier with that than doing something invasive and still having to worry about stints and removal thereof. On the flip side, if it doesn't break at all..... then I'm really screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
                    They did the same thing to me the 2nd time. All they care about is making you comfortable with meds and sending you on your way. If they gave you tylonal 3 they didn’t much for me when the pain was bad. Urologist Gave me some hydrocone 10mg worked much better

Sent me home with tramadol which did absolutely nothing. My dr gave me norco, which is 10mg hydrocodone and 365 mg acetaminophen. Much better but still not gravy

Comment

A friend had this done on his and it worked. Are you taking flow-max? That really helped to pass mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                        A friend had this done on his and it worked. Are you taking flow-max? That really helped to pass mine.
                        No, was not offered and didn't know about it

Comment

I’ve done it and it did work. I passed pieces for about a month.

Comment

Sent ya a pm

Comment

Put a chair in your shower and let the hottest water you can stand hit right on your back where it hurts. It'll loosen it up. I tried the Apple cider vinegar and about threw up each time lol. That stuff is horrible. You have to take flomax for a few days to a week for it to get working. One or two pills won't help.

I passed a 4.5mm a couple weeks ago. From first initial pain to holding the stone was under 30 minutes. Flomax and hot water on back in the shower.

Comment

December of 17 I had to have percutaneous nephrolithotripsy. Had a golf ball size stone in my left kidney. That was fun lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X