2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moondog View Post
    Check out my photos taken in 2015, on the adult GDE hunt. I didn't shoot, but saw a lot of decent bucks. I was being very selective because I've seen a couple of GOOD bucks there.

Hoping to get drawn for that one again this year.
    Good luck on your hunt!
    I have never applied for a hunt here because they warn of
    Vehicles with high ground clearance and/or 4x4 recommended.
    which I do not have. Is it really that rugged and a 4x4 is necessary or would a truck with normal clearance work fine?

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
      I have never applied for a hunt here because they warn of

which I do not have. Is it really that rugged and a 4x4 is necessary or would a truck with normal clearance work fine?
      The unit I hunted was 50% upper plateau and 50% deep canyons. I wouldn't have been able to get to the bottom without 4WD. However, I spent more time up on the plateaus than in the bottoms. Due to the extremely heavy brush in the bottoms, it was very difficult to find a place to set up, where you could see for a long shot.
      I set up a ground pop-up blind on the upper plateau and was able to set-up in an area where I could watch several long openings. All the photos I posted in the link, were bucks that I "rattled in". They were really responding to horns. This was the second week of December 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
        I put in for just about every category too but usually just one or two hunts per category, some guys are applying for 30+ hunts in the gun deer category for example and thats their perogative to do that, but it kills the odds. And when you have thousands applying preference points don't mean much.
        Geeze man those guys must love to drive, Texas is a big state. I apply for every hunt I actually want to go on, and either the wife or the kiddo is on the app with me so I know by not applying alone probably reduces my odds. Archery and Gun deer I'll have 3 or 4 apps. Same thing with the youth I only put in for hints we really want. I didn't know they limited it to 3 because i always put in for the same 3.

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        With as little public land as TX has and as many hunters who want to go there the system really ain't that bad...

Sure as heck beats the alternative of paying thousands of dollars to go shoot petting zoo critters.
        That's a fact Jack!

Comment

I got drawn for Davis Mountains Javelina. It seems like under the new system I have been drawn at least once but I always apply for the hunts that don't have a lot of entries.

Comment

I spend about $150-$200 year for my wife and myself. I look at some of the draw odds and think I am just wasting my $$$. But if you don't apply you will 100% not get drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
              Seems 5 years ago or so, TPWD was considering multiplying points for long time applicants.

Maybe if they could put an exponential factor in the system. Say double points after 10 and then double again after every 5 (i.e. 15, 20, 25 etc) until drawn. Then they could really be called loyalty points.

I personally have 27 GDE points, 17 exotic points, 12 gun muley points (I haven't applied every year for the latter due to scheduled dates conflicts). Under the current system, I'm dreading having to decide to which child I would bequest my worthless loyalty points to in my will
              And most of those unsuccessful apps were put in under old system, my question is what has changed?

The hunter in me thinks only thing I would change is to put more emphasis on preference points. Too many people have been putting in for too many yrs without selection no matter how or how many hunts you apply for.

I would really like to get a Muley Hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by moondog View Post
                Sounds like the standby "random drawing" at Richland Creek last fall.
                "things that make you go, hmmm!"
                See post #544, saw the same thing there. Funny thing was they wouldn't show anybody the card they drew out of the hat, hmmm
                Last edited by bossbowman; 08-20-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                  Is it really that rugged and a 4x4 is necessary or would a truck with normal clearance work fine?
                  I drew Devils River a few years back. All I had was a 2WD and I got around fine. If you ever go, just make sure you have some real good tires. All rock once you leave the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    What kind of change should we be asking for, specifically?
                    I personally would be good with them going back to the old system. Ain’t gonna happen though.

Realistically:
                    1. Limit applications to 3 apps per category.
                    2. Require non-residents to possess TX hunting license to apply.
                    3. Require USFS doe permits to be picked up at the forest office for the forest applied for.
                    4. Weight the preference points in some way so that by a certain time of applying you will likely get drawn and start over. That would give everyone a better chance instead of just a totally random raffle.

Comment

As long as I have the same chances to win a hunt as the next guy I don’t care, preference points aside, the system is fair for all unless I’m missing something?

If you want better odds then spend more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                        As long as I have the same chances to win a hunt as the next guy I don’t care, preference points aside, the system is fair for all unless I’m missing something?

If you want better odds then spend more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        Yep

Comment

So it doesn't matter to you if you spend more money and have crappier odds or spend less and have better odds? I'd much rather have the latter..

Comment

It’s not right somebody has 15-20 points and cant draw and then someone with no points draws 2-3 hunts in a season.

Comment

Thank You Moon Dog good pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Eberle View Post
                                My 12 y/o son drew the youth either-sex deer at Devils River. Does anyone have any advice for us?

Shane,

I sent you a pm on the other forum. I tried on here but don't have enough post yet!
                                Just seeing this post, Bryan. Good to see you posting here. You and your son will enjoy your hunt at Devil's River. It's a pretty cool place. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X