No announcement yet.

Let's Discuss Diesel Trucks and Sanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a poor man so diesel is out of the question. Truck cost too much and maintenance is too high. 1/2 ton is in my price range and will pull what I need.

If I had more $$$$ I'd buy a diesel. Just to **** others off...

Comment

Let's Discuss Diesel Trucks and Sanity

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Good grief...this thread is like teenage girl drama .

"I mean like Oh mah gawd Becky...did you see the size of heeer truck?" Can you believe she like, drives a diesel and she doesn't even need one all the time? Oh mah Gawd she must hang out with those rednecks! gag me with a spoon....my Prius can do all she needs and gets better gas mileage...and Oh mah Gawd its so loud.. It's like totally mid blowing.. They are so not cool like me because I think I know what is best for everybody..

2001 Ford F350 Crew cab 7.3L diesel 4x4. Bought it for longevity, the crew cab size/room with a normal sized bed and dragging a bass boat and a duck boat all over the state of Texas, southern OK and all the way up into Minnesota on the Canadian border 9 times. Ordered it, paid for it and drove it off the lot with 9 miles on it and still running strong. 290,800 miles on her and she still looks **** good IMO. So why those folks who have "the right truck for their needs" keep having to replace their 1/2 tons or Priuses over that 17 year period, I've done pretty well with my diesel decision monetarily and I've never had to ask..."can I tow that or can I put that much in my bed and drive at the lease or anywhere for that matter." Plus it has 10 years on the rockiest deer lease I have even been on and handled it like a champ suspension wise. So yall vehicle Nazis can shove that keeping up with the Jones and cowboy talk up your collective......well you know what.. I'll keep chugging along until she can't chug anymore.

[ATTACH]904537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904538[/ATTACH]

Have to say 2001 must have been a good year for the 7.3 durability wise. My brother has one at over 200K that has been anything by babied. My dad had one that was at like 250K+ when he got rid of it.

Edit: Could care less what others drive. Gas, diesel, 40” tires that never see anything but pavement, it’s all whatever. Personally, I’ve owned a couple of diesels. Probably won’t again because I don’t tow enough, they are heavy, and maintenance cost more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by SoTXAg06; 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
        I do NOT “need” mine right now. I had a late model Ford F-150 4x4 with the 5.0 and it towed our boat and RV just fine. I know personally, we are preparing for retirement and that includes trading in our bumper pull for a 5er within the next year. The right deal presented itself to get our Ram 2500 and I didn’t hesitate to jump on it. Maintenance costs are tremendously more and is offset by the 27mpg doing 80mph unloaded.

Most people don’t need a diesel and due more harm than good in the way they drive them. I guess in that regard it’s a win for the manufacturers and mechanics.

Again, for us, it’s all about retirement and having stuff paid off before. That is why I jumped on a B&W sliding hitch locally online last night. I don’t have a use for it right this minute but I will soon and for $450, I couldn’t

27mpg@80 really?

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
          27mpg@80 really?

Don’t look at the average, that was mostly in town. Before you ask, I was not driving down a hill nor coasting.

Comment

Is it possible you may be slightly underestimating resale value of the diesel vs. gas?

I've seen mid-90s gas trucks offered up for less than lawnmowers while mid-90s diesels sell for 2/3 of what they went for 20+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
              Have to say 2001 must have been a good year for the 7.3 durability wise. My brother has one at over 200K that has been anything by babied. My dad had one that was at like 250K+ when he got rid of it.
              I just returned from a 2500-mile trip last night in my wife's 2001 with 327,000K miles. So far, so good.

Comment

Where do people come up with diesels being so much more expensive to maintain?

I can get non synthetic oil changes at my dodge dealer for $70, full synthetic for $90.

I pay $70 for full synthetic on my wife’s 4 cylinder gasser.

Used to pay a little more than that for my z71 5.3L.

Only thing that has to be changed more often is fuel filters. I buy the oem filter for $30 and my dealer charges less than $10 to install it. Change it every 3rd oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Agree Mike...

My fuel filters are $10-11 to my door and changed in 5 minutes. My $70 oil changes are done every 7500 miles at my local mechanic guy. I change my fuel filter every third oil change and sometimes earlier if I'm going on a long trip. My air filter is $18-20. Its really not bad at all.....especially when compared to the every 3-4K gasser changes many folks do..

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                    What do you drive?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                    Huffy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                      Huffy

Why no honest answer?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a rancher and drive one daily. Love the power when I haul cattle to the sale barn!

Comment

Why does it matter? Maybe a diesel triuck.

People post without reading anyway.

For the record I like heavy duty diesels and may get one. It just seems like we are living in a mania right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                            Why does it matter? Maybe a diesel triuck.

People post without reading anyway.

For the record I like heavy duty diesels and may get one. It just seems like we are living in a mania right now.

This mania was born years ago when diesel was 80ct a gallon, but nowadays the good old days are over and maintaining and fueling just doesn't work out ! And borders on DB status
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-13-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Good grief...this thread is like teenage girl drama .

"I mean like Oh mah gawd Becky...did you see the size of heeer truck?" Can you believe she like, drives a diesel and she doesn't even need one all the time? Oh mah Gawd she must hang out with those rednecks! gag me with a spoon....my Prius can do all she needs and gets better gas mileage...and Oh mah Gawd its so loud.. It's like totally mid blowing.. They are so not cool like me because I think I know what is best for everybody..

2001 Ford F350 Crew cab 7.3L diesel 4x4. Bought it for longevity, the crew cab size/room with a normal sized bed and dragging a bass boat and a duck boat all over the state of Texas, southern OK and all the way up into Minnesota on the Canadian border 9 times. Ordered it, paid for it and drove it off the lot with 9 miles on it and still running strong. 290,800 miles on her and she still looks **** good IMO. So why those folks who have "the right truck for their needs" keep having to replace their 1/2 tons or Priuses over that 17 year period, I've done pretty well with my diesel decision monetarily and I've never had to ask..."can I tow that or can I put that much in my bed and drive at the lease or anywhere for that matter." Plus it has 10 years on the rockiest deer lease I have even been on and handled it like a champ suspension wise. So yall vehicle Nazis can shove that keeping up with the Jones and cowboy talk up your collective......well you know what.. I'll keep chugging along until she can't chug anymore.

[ATTACH]904537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]904538[/ATTACH]

I got you beat. [emoji16]
                              294,000 on my 6.0.
                              I get 18.5 mpg after I got it deleted. Even when pulling, I get better than my 1/2 ton.

Comment

DB proof

[quote=Smart;13312909]Good grief...this thread is like teenage girl drama .
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X